U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 14,894 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Chicago, and we're hoping for some expert advice from Chicagoans. We will be job searching after we arrive and want a nice accessible location to the rest of the city via public transportation. We also want a safe area with good grocery stores nearby.

We've contacted a rental agency and are trying to decide between a couple locations.

The first option is in Edgewater around the Bryn Mawr station. The area seems too far north to me, but I've never been up there honestly.

The second option is near Wrigleyville and Gill Park on Grace/N Pine Grove. I've heard sketchy things about the area around Gill Park, but again, would like to hear from those who live in the area.

So Chicagoans, if you were to choose between those options, which would you pick and why?

Thanks!

(Since we are just starting out, we are looking for cheap rentals, so unfortunately we likely don't have the luxury of other/better neighborhoods)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,311,325 times
Hi,

I live a block away from Gill Park. There is one and only one block in that area that is sketchy and all of the problems are limited to that block on the 3900 block on Broadway. Otherwise you are in a very nice area with very few problems. A Whole Foods is right in that area on Halsted and Addison and a Jewel is on Addison and Broadway. There is a new Walmart's Express just north of the Jewel. Not far, on Diversey and Clark there is a Trader Joe's. The area is more upscale than Edgewater but parts of Edgewater are quite nice also. Some buildings and blocks are better than others. If you stay near the lake you are going to be pretty safe. There is a Dominicks in the area and a Jewel depending upon where you choose to live. Stake yourself somewhere along the lake or if you like baseball fans (and all that goes with it), Wrigleyville is quite nice. If there is a specific block you are looking at, I am sure I or someone on this forum can give you the lowdown.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:16 PM

183 posts, read 320,693 times
Edgewater and Lakeview are totally different animals. From where are you moving? I live in Edgewater, so a bit biased, but here goes. Lakeview=congested, pretty white upper middle class, trendy shops and restaurants to walk to, a younger, more affluent population on the whole. Home prices and rents more expensive than Edgewater. Both have good public trans. bus and L. Lakeview is closer to city center if that's where you'll be working, but there's a suburban commuter train "Metra"which is an alternative to the L you can get just N of Edgewater that will get you downtown faster than anything in Lakeview. 15 minutes. Edgewater is more ethically, socio-economically diverse, and IMHO more interesting than Lakeview. Bryn Mawr is walkable to Andersonville, which has a strip on Clark St with many independent restaurants, shops,bookstore etc. Crime is slightly higher in Edgewater, but I am comfortable here, and feel it is more real Chicago than Lakeview. Depends on what your comfort level is and if you want to duplicate wherever you"'re coming from. Checkout Edgewater Glen between Clark and Broadway N of Hollywood to Devon. Do you have kids? More info needed.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 PM

4,058 posts, read 6,800,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I live a block away from Gill Park. There is one and only one block in that area that is sketchy and all of the problems are limited to that block on the 3900 block on Broadway. Otherwise you are in a very nice area with very few problems.
I live about two blocks from Gill Park, and I agree with the above. Right at Grace and Pine Grove you should be fine.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 14,894 times
Thanks for all the replies..I really appreciate the feedback.

From Seattle area originally, and have lived between Vancouver, BC and Korea for the past 6 years. I like living car-free and that's probably the biggest priority.

No kids. We're a young couple starting our careers.

For the same price, we can get a 1-bedroom near Bryn Mawr or a studio at Grace/Pine Grove. Tough choice.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:23 PM

43 posts, read 76,431 times
Either will work car-free. Maybe get a sublet for a few months while you explore the city then decide. A year lease flies by, especially in a new city, so it's probably fine to just flip a coin too.

I would favor Edgewater if the alternative is living in a studio, but both are excellent Chicago neighborhoods with plenty within walking distance and everything else a simple L ride away.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:03 AM

80 posts, read 255,138 times
I would rather live in a one bedroom in Edgewater than a studio at Grace and Pine Grove. The neighborhood isn't that much more desirable to me and a studio with two people in it may seem cramped in the dead of winter when you don't get outside as much. This assumes that both buildings are comparable. Also, some buildings with many studios are not all that nice in terms of who your neighbors are, imho.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:27 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,438,366 times
Edgewater by far, especially if it means a 1 bdrm over a studio and especially for a couple. That section of Lake View is light on the charm and most convenient to areas that appeal to either single gays or recently released frat guys. Bryn Mawr is a nice street and you will be close to Andersonville which has many more quality adult offerings.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:08 AM

2,418 posts, read 5,954,791 times
I'm biased towards Edgewater, mostly because it's where I live. If I worked in the loop, I may choose Lake View. And yes, that part of Lake View is absolutely nuts in the spring/summer months. If you like quiet and a little less congestion, choose Edgewater.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 AM

6,934 posts, read 8,103,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rth1986 View Post
Thanks for all the replies..I really appreciate the feedback.

From Seattle area originally, and have lived between Vancouver, BC and Korea for the past 6 years. I like living car-free and that's probably the biggest priority.

No kids. We're a young couple starting our careers.

For the same price, we can get a 1-bedroom near Bryn Mawr or a studio at Grace/Pine Grove. Tough choice.
Both spots have their advantages.

Bryn Mawr is an improving neighborhood. Diverse. New restaurants and businesses. Great public transportation. Close to lake/beach. Some streets may be more challenging to live than others. The "where" and "what street" would be important questions for me to answer.

Pine Grove/Grace/Sheridan is a good spot, too. I lived at 3900 LSD for a while. And ealrier in life at Grace/Broadway. Diverse demographics. If you're Jewish there are a couple of congregations in the neighborhood. Close to lake/beach. Fantastic public transportation. Difficult parking. Neighborhood retail scene probably less than Bryn Mawr. But close by.

For two people, I'd probably opt for the 1BR vs a studio.

Best of luck. Welcome to Chicago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago