Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 PM

11 posts, read 17,428 times

Advertisements

I have to decide in 10 days where we will live in Chicago come July. We are a couple with 2 kids relocating from New Jersey and have very limited knowledge of Chicago. So this is our situation -
My daughter got accepted into Keller Elementray school which I believe is a regional gifted center , the zipcode for which is 60655 ( Mt Greenwood? ) My husband will start work at the University of Chicago Comers Childrens Hospital. We have 10 days to decide if we want to accept her school offer and I have no idea where to live.

When we first started researching our move we had looked at Hyde Park or South Loop as an option. Its important to me that we are close to my daughters school becuase my husband can commute to work to 30-45 mins). We are not constrained by a budget for renting a place , we just want a safe neighbourhood that works for our situation.

Does anyone have a suggestion for us? Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 07:03 PM

439 posts, read 953,744 times
Beverly?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:09 PM

how bad/good is the commute to hyde park from beverly?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:10 PM

also any idea about rentals in beverly? apartments or homes for rent

Old 03-27-2012, 07:19 PM

439 posts, read 953,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk62 View Post
how bad/good is the commute to hyde park from beverly?
It's about ten miles give or take. Not sure how long it takes, Google says 20 minutes.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:38 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
It's about ten miles give or take. Not sure how long it takes, Google says 20 minutes.
Twenty minutes is about right for Beverly to Hyde Park in non-rush hour. I do the drive often but almost never during rush hour. I think I'd allot about an extra 15 minutes during rush hour (and more in a snowstorm). But I bet it would be about 30 minutes on average.

Feel free to PM me if you want the name of a real estate agent who lives in Beverly and is very helpful as a buyers' agent. I think he'd also be very helpful with rentals, but if I'm wrong, I would think that he can find someone else who can.

Good luck!

Old 03-28-2012, 05:36 AM

I saw a you tube video of a drive through Beverly, it looks more like a suburb to me. Is it walkable at all or do you need a car ?
Any other neighbourhoods you might recommned?
Are there any parents of Keller RGC here who can shed some light about the school?
Thanks for all your valuable input !

Old 03-28-2012, 07:05 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Morgan Park, also.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,370,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk62 View Post
I saw a you tube video of a drive through Beverly, it looks more like a suburb to me. Is it walkable at all or do you need a car ?
Beverly is very walkable but you definitely need a car, for grocery shopping and other errands - and also there is unfortunately no really good public transportation between Beverly and Hyde Park (though the Metra does have many stops in Beverly to go downtown, which is wonderful).

As for its being like a suburb, I don't quite know how to answer that. It's an extremely pretty, tree-filled, park-filled neighborhood, with a good sense of community, and - from what I have seen so far - it has just about hit the sweet spot on racial diversity (or my area of the neighborhood seems to have done so). Yes, it's also very Irish.

We take tons of walks with our dogs in just about every direction from our house, and enjoy it tremendously - the architecture is really pretty and mixed, and the gardens, lawns, trees . . . all of it is just very nice to see. So, that may sound like suburbia. But it definitely feels like a city neighborhood.

Morgan Park is right next to Beverly and I still am not clear on where one ends and the other begins, but I'll figure it out soon, I guess.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 AM

14 posts, read 45,676 times
I would go to Hyde Park.I live there now and its lovely for raising kids..but it Is close to some of the other neighborhoods that may not be so great..All of Chicago is like that..Check out Oak lawn or Hickory hills..They are South Suburbs but close enough for your husband to Commute to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago