Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,730,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Wow, they broke into your car in Lakeview? I thought that sort of stuff only happened on the south and west sides.
Yeah, just like, I thought we'd never see a black President. Who'da thunk it? THE WORLD IS A GHETTO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 AM

3,864 posts, read 6,771,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
Real thief? Looks like he has the intelligence level of a rat if you ask me. Not only does he video tape his crimes and not even cover his face, he doesn't check any of the doors except one that I saw. A "real thief" would know how to get in the car without causing damage, and would be going for higher end stuff. Not smashing the window of a '99 Caravan. Just another defect here folks, move along.
Well by Real thief I meant a majority of the people who make a living or subsidize income by stealing, not teenagers who happen to notice something they want. Thieves AREN'T smart. This guy is real in the sense that he isn't just smashing one cars window because somebody left out a nice looking GPS. He is doing rounds on an entire parking lot full of cars to get anywhere from $0 to $1000 worth of items in each car.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Dont worry about the iPass since if you report it stolen they will capture the plates of any car using it.

I lock my car. But I also leave the glove box open to show that there is nothing worth taking.
You dont even have to report it stolen. Everytime your ipass is used they pair it up to the license plates associated with the unit. If they dont match, the car gets fined. If you report it stolen before or after, they know exactly who used it.

Stealing an iPass is like stealing a cell phone and then calling your home phone with it. Dumb...arse. haha

Old 04-04-2012, 03:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
You dont even have to report it stolen. Everytime your ipass is used they pair it up to the license plates associated with the unit.
No they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
If they dont match, the car gets fined.
No it doesn't.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:27 PM

169 posts, read 453,659 times
People still break into cars to steal GPS units? Can't you get a decent new one for $80 or less? What's a pawn shop going to give you for one, $5? $10 if you're lucky?

And used CDs are literally worthless now. This isn't the 90's when you could sell them to a used CD store for $5 each. Recorded music is pretty much free now.

I realize people who are looking for drug money aren't necessarily in a rational state of mind, but you'd think they could find something of actual value to steal.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No they don't.

No it doesn't.
We are both right, they dont match every time. But if the transponder is reported stolen or if the iPass doesn't register, the license plate gets photographed and the car gets fined. Direct copy paste:

"Occasionally tolls do not post to your account at the time of the transaction. This happens because the transponder signal was not read. Transponder signals are not read because of a missing, improperly mounted or an inactive transponder. These transactions are digitally recorded ( a photo of the license plate) and later matched to the license plate on your I-PASS account. The toll is then posted to your account. These digitally recorded tolls are referred to as Vtolls."

"You must register all vehicles using the transponder to the I-PASS account. Be sure to specify license plate type for all vehicles authorized to use the transponder. An unregistered vehicle is subject to a violation and fine if the toll transaction is unsuccessful in an I-PASS lane.
Login to your account now or visit the customer service page for more information about how to update your account.
Your license plate type and license plate number are required to connect your I-PASS transponder to your account. Registering this information reduces the risk of incurring violations."

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy View Post
People still break into cars to steal GPS units? Can't you get a decent new one for $80 or less? What's a pawn shop going to give you for one, $5? $10 if you're lucky?

And used CDs are literally worthless now. This isn't the 90's when you could sell them to a used CD store for $5 each. Recorded music is pretty much free now.

I realize people who are looking for drug money aren't necessarily in a rational state of mind, but you'd think they could find something of actual value to steal.
Some GPS's can be quite expensive, but I agree with you. Most GPS's and especially used CD's are worthless. I think people mostly do it because it is "free" money to them. I would imagine that if you have subs, and a nice head unit then you are probably more of a target and/or nice wheels.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I used to park with my doors unlocked on the premise that if someone wants to rummage around in my car, I don't want them to do any damage in the process. Until one day I approached it to find a stewbum sleeping in it. After that I've taken my chances on a broken windshield.
I have often wondered if unlocked doors would be a viable solution. How often has someone slept in your car? And, did you call the police? I think I'd rather find a bum in my seat, than broken glass. Because, air fresheners and cleaning supplies are cheaper than windows.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,135,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
I have often wondered if unlocked doors would be a viable solution. How often has someone slept in your car? And, did you call the police? I think I'd rather find a bum in my seat, than broken glass. Because, air fresheners and cleaning supplies are cheaper than windows.
Read PAGE 1, here's one entry you may have missed...

"I just want to reiterate... I was told from a perpetrator of these crimes... they do not care if the car is unlocked, they break the window anyway, they DON'T stop to check if they can gain access the easy way first, they just walk up and break the window."

Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
they do not care if the car is unlocked, they break the window anyway
Oh, I see... *ucking vandals. *shakes head* Well, it ain't right. But, its gotta change.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:32 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Read PAGE 1, here's one entry you may have missed...

"I just want to reiterate... I was told from a perpetrator of these crimes... they do not care if the car is unlocked, they break the window anyway, they DON'T stop to check if they can gain access the easy way first, they just walk up and break the window."
Some do, some don't. Last summer I caught a pack of s*&theads rummaging through all the unlocked cars on our block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: