Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,410,916 times

Advertisements

OP: you may like Pilsen or Little Village. Pilsen is considered to be gentrifying, but it's hard to tell, especially in the western part of the neighborhood. It's mostly Mexican with some white yuppies/hipsters and some Italians and blacks. Little Village is West of Pilsen and is not really gentrified at all, and is thus more Mexican. Pilsen is probably my favorite neighborhood as far as the built environment is concerned. There are older areas with frame houses and parts that are as red-bricked as St. Louis.

Bridgeport is to the south of Pilsen and is the only inner-city neighborhood with a large number of working class white people, but unlike South City, black people still aren't too welcome, but there are many Mexican and Chinese people.

These neighborhoods are on the opposite side of the city as the ones other people have mentioned, and gentrification is spreading much more slowly in these parts because they aren't as well-connected to the hipster and yuppy areas already established on the North side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 AM

5,951 posts, read 13,038,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
You have 4 slam dunk options, Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park and Albany Park.

All 4 are in a league of their own in the city diversity wise, have plenty of dive bars and have plenty of good ethnic eats.

Albany Park probably has the most limited transit options, only because the brown line isn't 24 hrs and because it doesn't have the same express bus service.

Edgewater is probably the most gentrified.

Budget would help.
I agree. this cluster of neighborhoods in Chicago are the super diverse melting pot of Chicago. Everywhere else in Chicago outside the Lincoln Park to South Loop/museum campus downtown/core corridor, and intellectual/ivy league Hyde Park-Kenwood, is either

Black, White Catholic, first gen. Mexican, and Big Ten graduate young professionals.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 PM

230 posts, read 384,030 times
Lots of great responses, thank you all. Definitely lots of food for thought.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:35 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
The Chicago area is approaching a population of 10M, with 6.000 restaurants and at least 1000 neighborhoods. Some of it is very trendy and very expensive while others are not so expensive and dangerous. It isn't any different in NYC, LA, SF, NOLA, Miami, etc..

The Village of Oak Park is the nearest Western inner ring suburb. It shares a border with the City of Chicago. It is the original diverse community that also happens to have the world largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture in the world. If you like the latter 19th century structures you should enjoy OP. And yes, you can here by train, bus, taxi, limo and zip car. With these types of services in Chicago you don't generally need a car, but if you do, you can rent one for a hour or two.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM

183 posts, read 337,091 times
"You generally don't need a car"

-when you are single and no kids. Believe me, this changes when you are a working parent. Short on time, lugging groceries for the week, aftercare pick up before 6 and fitting in working 8 hours plus lunch and commute time-it's difficult to pull off without a car. People that do have my admiration.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:51 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,562,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themag62 View Post
"You generally don't need a car"

-when you are single and no kids. Believe me, this changes when you are a working parent. Short on time, lugging groceries for the week, aftercare pick up before 6 and fitting in working 8 hours plus lunch and commute time-it's difficult to pull off without a car. People that do have my admiration.
hence the word generally

Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 PM

4 posts, read 3,215 times
hello, I'm looking to move to chicago after summer, planning to get a studio apartment or a 1 bedroom, around little village. My question is, will a young white guy be alright if he lives there and keeps to himself? Looking forward to the move. Please reply

Old 04-05-2012, 06:12 PM

any help or other advice on living in the city would be apreciated

Old 04-05-2012, 06:19 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,410,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter11 View Post
hello, I'm looking to move to chicago after summer, planning to get a studio apartment or a 1 bedroom, around little village. My question is, will a young white guy be alright if he lives there and keeps to himself? Looking forward to the move. Please reply
Yes. There's gang activity there, and being mistaken for someone else can be hazardous, but this can be remedied by not dressing like a thug. Overall, it's a decent area for a single person who likes to save money and doesn't mind being a little "out there".

Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 PM

thank you for the reply, should be alright then since I dress in a clean cut way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago