Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:38 PM

6 posts, read 7,664 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm a future grad (just a month away ) and recently received a job offer in the Addison area.

I'm seeking advice on good area for me to live as a young twenty-something. I don't mind a commute, if it means I can stay in a 'younger' area.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
You would probably enjoy Lakeview, Lincoln Park, or Wicker Park. The first two are near the lake and the latter is more inland.

I know so many people that live in these neighborhoods and commute to the Western suburbs in the area where you will be working (I assume you mean the suburb of Addison, IL and not the street in Chicago

good luck with your move

Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
You would probably enjoy Lakeview, Lincoln Park, or Wicker Park. The first two are near the lake and the latter is more inland.

good luck with your move

I've heard these brought up here fairly often. Any idea what the commute would be like on a daily basis?

Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
The commute from Lincoln Park or Lakeview would be 40 minutes with low traffic. However, during rush hour would be more like 60 minutes to 1 hr. and 15 mins each way. I see mapquest says 40 minutes from 2800 N Sheridan, Chicago to Addison, IL (2800 N Sheridan Rd. is right at the border of East Lakeview and Lincoln Park...Diversey is the dividing street between the two neighborhoods).

I used to do a commute from Lakeview to a burb near Addison and it took me 55 minutes in the morning and about 1 hour and 15 minutes after work. Of course, it all depends on the number of accidents on the interstate system. I prefer taking 290 (Eisenhower) but some take an alternate route out 90 (the Kennedy) and then back down, but I find that much more congested.

From Wicker Park, you can shave off about 10 or 15 minutes.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtwo View Post
I've heard these brought up here fairly often. Any idea what the commute would be like on a daily basis?
It'll suck enough that you'll be looking to either move or change jobs within a year or two.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It'll suck enough that you'll be looking to either move or change jobs within a year or two.

Suggestions on alternatives then?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtwo View Post
Suggestions on alternatives then?
Live closer to work and take the train into town on weekends -- Oak Park is a tolerable mid-way point with quick access to the CTA train system. Or, put up with the commute for as long as you can.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:46 AM

7 posts, read 13,924 times
Here are some tips for finding apartments in Chicago... They rarely have negotiating room and often have incentives for those willing to sign right away. Some complexes do offer discount rates if you're willing to sign longer than a year. The privately owned units usually have more room for negotiation but its likely there are a lot of others interested in the same unit. Make sure you have your references, credit score, etc ready.

Anyway, my advice is to definitely work with someone licensed. Don't work with any professionals requiring that you pay a commission, generally a landlord offers the commission to the agent helping you find your apartment.

Last edited by JustJulia; 04-04-2012 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Advertising is not allowed on City-Data.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:42 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
I know some younger people who live in apartment complexes in Hoffman Estates and Schaumburg which would be a much better commute.
They seem to be reasonably happy, some people like the amenities the burbs have to offer. There's also something that resembles a nightlife for a 20 something.

If you MUST live in the city, you'll figure it out hell or high water and suck it up as far as commute goes.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Depending on where in the town of Addision the OP's job will be it may make sense to try and stay closer. Towns like Elmhurst have a pretty decent mix of housing options,mars and dining as well as very short commute to Addison. The difficultly in coming even from a town like Oak Park is that it lies on the choke side of the congestion of the Eisenhower AND really requires dealing with the limited access at Rt 83 or 355...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago