U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 09:19 PM

674 posts, read 1,111,986 times

Advertisements

I parked on courtland st near the clybourn metra stop because I take the metra to work each day to arlington heights. I got to my car this afternoon when I got off the train and saw not one, but TWO parking tickets.

Is this legal? It was issued by the same ticketer, the same day, 2 hour apart from each other. I was at work so I got to my car an hour after the 2nd ticket, I couldn't have seen the ticket in time and moved it before the 2nd ticket. Can I contest this at the Revenue Payment Center or should I try contesting one of them by phone? I'm fine with paying the first ticket as it was my fault and didn't see the "pay to park" sign as it was bent and not facing the street but if I had looked a lot harder I guess I probably could have seen it, but it was hard to find even after I knew it must be there after getting the ticket.

Does anyone else have direct experience or knowledge of the law regarding this situation? Any help is appreciated...
Rate this post positively

Old 04-02-2012, 09:22 PM

38,704 posts, read 96,872,650 times
Yeah, the rear "Pay to Park" sign in a metered zone is always cleverly angled away from the driver so that you can't see it from the street as you're approaching it. Nice trick, huh?

I'd contest the second one in person if I were you.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 AM

6,934 posts, read 8,011,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
I parked on courtland st near the clybourn metra stop because I take the metra to work each day to arlington heights. I got to my car this afternoon when I got off the train and saw not one, but TWO parking tickets.

Is this legal? It was issued by the same ticketer, the same day, 2 hour apart from each other. I was at work so I got to my car an hour after the 2nd ticket, I couldn't have seen the ticket in time and moved it before the 2nd ticket. Can I contest this at the Revenue Payment Center or should I try contesting one of them by phone? I'm fine with paying the first ticket as it was my fault and didn't see the "pay to park" sign as it was bent and not facing the street but if I had looked a lot harder I guess I probably could have seen it, but it was hard to find even after I knew it must be there after getting the ticket.

Does anyone else have direct experience or knowledge of the law regarding this situation? Any help is appreciated...
I'm surprised there were only two tickets. You goofed. Pay the fine and pay attention in the future.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post

I believe in a 2 hour parking zone they can ticket every 2 hours. I wonder if they have 2 hour loops to check cars.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:48 AM

674 posts, read 1,111,986 times
I called the hotline to contest and they said it was an error and I can only be ticketed once a day for the same violation even in metered zones. Moderator cut: personal remarks

Thank you for the person who advised me to contest it.

Last edited by Marka; 04-04-2012 at 12:49 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 08:00 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,904,587 times
Someone had told me once they can ticket every two hours in a two hour zone.

Moderator cut: personal, off topic

Last edited by Marka; 04-04-2012 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>