U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 AM

483 posts, read 777,420 times

Advertisements

So I got a ticket for a spot in Bucktown that someone with an IQ around 75-80 might mistake for an illegal spot. I successfully contested it by mail.

Then around a month later I got another ticket for the same spot with the exact same circumstances. But despite contesting by mail again and including the first administrative judge's dismissal of the ticket for the same spot, the second administrative judge determined that a violation did occur.

Of course in order to continue fighting I have to file a civil lawsuit and pay an administrative fee.

Anyone else have this experience? Anything I can do except bend over and let the city have its way with me again?

Needless to say, I will not be parking in that spot anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:02 AM

6,329 posts, read 10,743,177 times
If you already got a ticket for it, even though you successfully contested it, doesn't that indicate that the police consider that to be an illegal parking place? If so, then the second ticket is legitimate.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,832,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
If you already got a ticket for it, even though you successfully contested it, doesn't that indicate that the police consider that to be an illegal parking place? If so, then the second ticket is legitimate.
So if the police "consider it so" even if all signage indicates otherwise, that makes it illegal?

Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,872,794 times
Quote:
That doesn't make sense. They overturned the first ticket, basically saying, "you are right, that is a legal spot." Now they are saying the opposite.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 PM

483 posts, read 777,420 times
Quote:
In one instance it was declared a legal space but in the next it was declared illegal.

With no changes to signage/curb color/city parking laws, how am I supposed to know what is legal and what is illegal with such inconsistency?

Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM

38,705 posts, read 96,337,890 times
Quote:
This is a bizarre legal analysis to say the least.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:33 PM

2,403 posts, read 6,224,538 times
Quote:
NO! both of the tickets are illegal, "IF" you know enough to just demand that a verified complaint be filed. That as I have said thousands of times is your guaranteed rights to due process under U.S. Title 432, 1983 , its as simple as that if you ask the right question . In reality you are demanding you right to face your accuser so you can see their injury! If there is no injurt then that person writing the ticket can not sign under oath to any injury and the case must be dismissed .

Old 04-04-2012, 02:35 PM

38,705 posts, read 96,337,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
NO! both of the tickets are illegal, "IF" you know enough to just demand that a verified complaint be filed. That as I have said thousands of times is your guaranteed rights to due process under U.S. Title 432, 1983 , its as simple as that if you ask the right question . In reality you are demanding you right to face your accuser so you can see their injury! If there is no injurt then that person writing the ticket can not sign under oath to any injury and the case must be dismissed .
Would you please give it up with this "verified complaint" crap? You give the same stupid advice over and over and over and it's wrong every time you give it.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:50 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,338,441 times
If I had already been given a ticket for parking in that spot, I would not park there again, regardless of whether or not the ticket had been dismissed.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:57 PM

6,329 posts, read 10,743,177 times
Ohferhevvinsakes, people! I wasn't doing any sort of legal analysis. I was asking for clarification.

If the ticket were dismissed the first time -> because the spot was a legal parking spot <- then the second ticket would be bogus. If it were dismissed -> because the court agreed the signage was inadequate <- then the OP would already know the space is illegal even though the signage hadn't yet been improved.

So the information we don't yet have is exactly why the original ticket was dismissed. Even if we were qualified to be doing legal analysis, it's mere speculation without that information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: