Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:11 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I think you have the wrong forum, I've never heard of Nomi.
NoMI Kitchen - Near North Side - Chicago, IL

So, I guess it is a place, technically. But unless you're describing the area around that one restaurant, you'd probably call it the Mag Mile or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
NoMI Kitchen - Near North Side - Chicago, IL

So, I guess it is a place, technically. But unless you're describing the area around that one restaurant, you'd probably call it the Mag Mile or something.
Yes, and actually the "Northern Michigan Avenue" is a term people use. See:
Greater North Michigan Avenue Chicago

Old 04-08-2012, 06:36 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
$30 pp max for dinner is about right.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
$30 pp max for dinner is about right.
You can really eat in a lot of places for that, although if you start ordering drinks/wine it will run up the price easily over that amount (unless it's a BYOB place maybe). So I guess I need a refresher..you want to stay in the area, or you're open to taking public transit/cabs to wherever?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:22 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,348,680 times
Would prefer to stay in the blocks around the Knickerbocker. and I guess.. Magnificent Mile area.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yes, and actually the "Northern Michigan Avenue" is a term people use. See:
Greater North Michigan Avenue Chicago
"North Michigan Avenue" is proper.

"Northern Michigan Avenue" is not.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
there is a large area between 5* french and 30 pp max applebees dining.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
$30/person for dinner in that area is pretty restrictive. Especially if you drink.

I'm going to assume you mean pre-tax, pre-tip, so with tax and tip that pushes you up to about $40 each.

These are some places where you can eat for that price and have decent food within a 15 minute walk. I've eaten at all of them and enjoyed the food.

French:
Bistro Zinc, on State Street just south of Elm Street.
Bistro Voltaire, on Chicago Avenue, just west of Wells Street

American:
Farmhouse, on Chicago Avenue, just west of Wells (next to Bistro Voltaire)
Feast, on Delaware Place, just west of Rush Street
Fred's at Barney's, inside the Barney's store on the corner of Oak Street and Rush Street. May exceed your budget, but has an interesting city view - ask for a table near a window

Champagne in a fun location:
Pops for Champagne, corner of State Street and Ohio Street

Armenian:
Sayat Nova, on Ohio St just east of Michigan Ave

Thai:
Dao, on Ohio Street, east of St. Clair Street

Tapas/Spanish:
Emilio's, on Ohio Street, east of St. Clair Street (across from Dao)

Italian:
Quartino, corner of State Street and Ontario Street

Fast casual Italian/pizza:
Go Roma, corner of Chestnut and State Streets

Mexican (these are local and different from typical Mexican-American places):
Xoco, corner of Clark and Illinois Streets
Cantina 46, Superior Street, just east of Wabash Street

Indian:
Gaylord, Walton Street west of Michigan Ave

Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
$30/person for dinner in that area is pretty restrictive. Especially if you drink.

I'm going to assume you mean pre-tax, pre-tip, so with tax and tip that pushes you up to about $40 each.

These are some places where you can eat for that price and have decent food within a 15 minute walk. I've eaten at all of them and enjoyed the food.

French:
Bistro Zinc, on State Street just south of Elm Street.
Bistro Voltaire, on Chicago Avenue, just west of Wells Street

American:
Farmhouse, on Chicago Avenue, just west of Wells (next to Bistro Voltaire)
Feast, on Delaware Place, just west of Rush Street

Armenian:
Sayat Nova, on Ohio St just east of Michigan Ave

Thai:
Dao, on Ohio Street, east of St. Clair Street

Tapas/Spanish:
Emilio's, on Ohio Street, east of St. Clair Street (across from Dao)

Italian:
Quartino, corner of State Street and Ohio Street

Fast casual Italian/pizza:
Go Roma, corner of Chestnut and State Streets

Mexican (these are local and different from typical Mexican-American places):
Xoco, corner of Clark and Illinois Streets
Cantina 46, Superior Street, just east of Wabash Street

Indian:
Gaylord, Walton Street west of Michigan Ave
I can speak for Bistro Zinc, Feast, Emilio's, Dao, Go Roma, Sayat Nova, Xoco, Quartino. All good choices there. Go Roma and Xoco are the cheapest there per person, and while they're more "fast" food than the others, they are good. Xoco is owned by Rick Bayless and the food is awesome. I recommend that place more than any other listed.

Also, as much as people want to think it's uber expensive, it's really not. Le Colonial on Rush just south of Oak. You won't be able to drink AND have entrees for $30 pp, but their entrees run $18-$32 (there's only a few above $30) and their salads are I think $12. If you go, I recommend going upstairs and ordering appetizers. You don't have to dress outstandingly nice, but don't wear a cubs shirt and/or a hat. The upstairs is a lounge area.

Some others though:

Osteria Via Stato (http://www.osteriaviastato.com/menu/dinner.html - broken link) - Ontario and State. Italian

Tempo Cafe - State and Chestnut. 24 Hour diner..more breakfast type of stuff, but their omelettes are great and HUGE. Can be really busy when bars are letting out, and in the mornings on weekends around 10:30-12.

Goddess and Grocer - Delaware and Rush. Next to Feast, owned by the same woman, and more of a cafe (sandwiches, salads, etc)

Bar Toma - Pearson, near Michigan Ave (next to Ghiradelli) Owned by Tony Mantuano and fairly new. Have some pretty decent pizzas (italian style, not chicago style).

Pizano's - Almost across the street from Tempo Cafe. Pretty sure you can get a pizza for less than $25 here. Pretty busy sometimes.

There is more..those are just a few that come to mind too.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
The trouble with Chicago is the six thousand (6.000) restaurants. You have the midwest's largest grocery store at your feet. The Chicago Hot Dog and the Chicago Pizza are specific to the city. Otherwise you can find every type of food vendor imaginable and every type of food product imaginable somewhere in the city or in a nearby suburb whether it is Lox or Gyros, or Arroz con Pollo or a good steak at a neighborhood bar.

I've eaten food I did not particularly like in Chicago, but I have never eaten bad food in Chicago. Foodies like Chicago for a reason; you will too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago