Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 05:19 PM

75 posts, read 553,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedteacher1 View Post
The southside is not all bad. If they were, then why are all the yuppies buying up all of the townhomes and moving there? You people act like the north side is so much better. If thats true, then how come they want to host the Olimpics all on the southside? Why do you thing that developers are constantly building all these new homes and they are going like hotcakes? To me the southside has more to offer (culturally). People point out the negatives about the southside, but the northside has it's problems as well. It may not be as bad as the south or west sides, but don't be in here acting like it's all "suburban" when it is not. They have their rapes, people who can't drive running over pedestrians and not stopping, getting robbed and whatever else. When I was in grad school at NEIU, someone drove up to my classmates and pulled a gun on them, and people were getting robbed after class (at night). We were afraid to walk out to our cars at night. Do I think that all the northside is bad because of these few experiences? No I don't. Some of you people in here need to stop going by things you hear, and see for yourself.
They want to have the Olympics on the SS because it is an opportunity to reclaim some of that property. Do you have any idea of the amount of land to be seized from holding the Olympics on the SS? What's standing today surely won't be there when the Olymics are held. What happens to the land after the Olympics?

Old 11-09-2007, 06:50 AM

55 posts, read 163,537 times
I am trying to move to the River North area from out of state, specifically on the 400 block of W. Ontario. The last time I was there, I noticed that the neighborhood got sketchier West of Kingsbury and North of W. Huron/Superior. I'll be moving to this area with my fiance and I want to make sure that the foot traffic is pretty adequate.

Any opinions about this area?

Old 11-09-2007, 10:57 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
You're right to say the area you speak of gets sketchier, but I wouldn't say its unsafe. It's pretty barren i think. Once you cross the river it's no longer River North, it's River West. There's a lot of development going on just West of that area, but there's some projects too.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 AM

55 posts, read 163,537 times
Thanks for your input. I'm trying to stay on the 400 block of Ontario or Erie.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:48 PM

5 posts, read 19,450 times
Go east, young man - go east :-)

as you perhaps know, Chicago streets are set up on a grid system - 800 N and 400 W is a bit desolate, former projects are at 1000 N 300-400 west, lots of urban renewal taking place however further east is alreadt 'renewed' and has been for some time. I would move eastward on Erie - Ontario is right on xpressway path, that could get a bit busy at times :-)

Old 11-18-2007, 04:14 PM

11 posts, read 40,077 times
Default A complicated question

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllegalForeigner:) View Post
Bad Neighborhoods In Chicago. I'm thinking of going to that city but I just want some advice where to be and where not to be
thx!
No one in Chicago has ever given me any trouble and I have been in some bad neighborhoods. Maybe I am just lucky or maybe I am just big enough and mean enough looking that I'm left alone. Being a big male does not hurt.

I worked for a year just off 51st Street near Washington Park and walked from the Green Line station to my place of work. This is the kind of place where drunks urinate in the street and there are plenty of boarded up buildings. I also tend to mind my own business and don't look like anyone who might be a gang member, being white. I expect if I were black and wore the wrong clothing I might be in real trouble in some places. I don't go walking around in lonely creepy looking places at night either.

It is highly variable. In general areas near public housing are not good. Other areas on the south side look like something out of Leave it to Beaver.
You go a few blocks in Oak Park you can go from the most amazing affluence to the most grinding poverty. Being in an affluent area close to a very poor area may in some ways be more dangerous than living in a "bad neighborhood". After all, who wants to mug a poor person? Looking affluent and somewhat defenseless is probably a bad combination.

On the other hand, it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out if a neighborhood is "bad" or not so bad. Use your eyes. If there are a lot of abandoned buildings, people just hanging out for no apparent reason, lots of graffiti, trash, and weeds growing tall from cracks in the pavement, then you can pretty much know it isn't a prime area to live.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,628 times
Default Need help for a place to rent near St. Bernard Hospital

Hi guys, the information you've given here is really useful but i really need some help. We're a couple, no children, asian and in our early 30's both nurses who will be working at St. Bernard Hospital, i know its already in englewood but we don't have a choice regarding the hospital. We're trying to find a place to rent near the area for a 1 bedroom apartment with a price range of up to $800 and have considered Hyde Park and Beverly areas. When i searched for an estimate travel time of both areas going to St. Bernard the map says around 10-12 minutes if you drive but we don't plan to get one so i'd like to know if it is as accessible if you commute and how long will it be? We'd probably be on call most of the time so would like to ask for any suggestion where to rent a place that is both at least safe? and accessible for us My friend who stayed there before rented a place at evergreen park and says that it took him only 20 minutes to drive to go to the hospital but i don't know, hyde park seems nearer than evergreen to St. Bernard. Any suggestion? just particular about shorter commute time and safety. Thanks!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
You'll have better luck starting a new thread instead of latching onto a barely active 14-month-old thread.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:11 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You'll have better luck starting a new thread instead of latching onto a barely active 14-month-old thread.
Maybe this one should be locked?

Old 12-17-2007, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,396 times
Default Bad Section Of Chicago

I grew up on the south side of Chicago. St. Adrian Grammers School, Maria High School. I moved when I got married in 1972 and my parents in about 1978 in fear. I am now living in another state, but every time I go back to Chicago, I always roll past my childhood home. Most of the houses on the block are either a disaster or gone (burned out) but the people that own my home have really taken care of it. I like to think that after my dad passed away, he probably went there first to visit it. His heart was always there.

I also ride through the neighborhood. I am female and white so I do keep my doors locked. It has changed so bad. No longer safe. About the only thing that is still there is the White Castle on 71st. and Western. How many times did we ditch church and go there insteadl Never figured out how my parents always knew. Probably because we smelled like White Castles.... I drive down to 63rd and Western past the Sears Roebuck that used to be there. I worked there during high school. I drive down 63rd street. Once beautiful neighborhood stores, now a disaster. I can't even read the writing of the names of the stores. All the beautiful theaters are gone, HiWay, Colony, Marquet. Had lots of dates at those theaters.

My grammer school is now closed. My neighborhood is gone. I wish I could turn back time but we can't. We have to live with the present. I guess this is why all the "burbs" are packed now. It is such a shame. My chldhood was the best you could ever ask for. I wish I could turn back time. But I guess we must live in the present. Well, I hope to visit in April/08. Bell Avenue, I will once again visit you and show my grandson where I grew up. You are in my blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago