Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 09:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Deliberately stirring things up is called "trolling" which is childish and not welcome here. If you have something to say, say it like an adult.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:09 PM

23 posts, read 86,900 times
Default What Are The Bad Sections of Chicago?

I grew up at 67 th and Artesian 1954-1973. We have all seen the decline of this once wonderful neighborhood.I loved walking up to 63 rd. street. Going to J and R's dime store. Walking to the park ,church the BIG SNOW of 67.
So many many children grew up in this area. The school's have mostly closed .900 foreclosure's and many boarded up building's.What a waste.
Mayor Daley started the Historic Bungalow Program and rehabbed 4 homes at 64 and Fairfield. Too much crime and drugs for too many people to seriously consider moving back .I do think people will start investing back into the neighborhood again. I believe in Smart Growth and NOT BUILDING ANOTHER NEW HOME until we fix the Old one's.The transportation has to be SAFE--school's SAFE and under control. Small business can not get robbed over and over.Many many people love this neighborhood with some serious interest from the monied people Downtown- it could be turned around. The North side and the west are undergoing rapid redevelopment .The prices are OUTRAGEOUS. Dubai was built in the last few years.When the developer's come that's how fast neighborhoods turn around.Apartment buildings might turn into single family homes SPACE IS A CONSIDERATION. Older homes need updating Rehabbing and the crime needs more Police . No area of CHICAGO should be unsafe. Come into the 21 St century FIX THESE PROBLEMS of disinvestment.In our life time this area will be rebuilt and we will not be able to afford to buy our homes back again They will cost to much ,just like NEW YORK.That just doesn't Fair. European cities are hundred of years old.We need to follow them.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:53 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70th&Bellave View Post
I grew up on the south side of Chicago. St. Adrian Grammers School, Maria High School. I moved when I got married in 1972 and my parents in about 1978 in fear. I am now living in another state, but every time I go back to Chicago, I always roll past my childhood home. Most of the houses on the block are either a disaster or gone (burned out) but the people that own my home have really taken care of it. I like to think that after my dad passed away, he probably went there first to visit it. His heart was always there.

I also ride through the neighborhood. I am female and white so I do keep my doors locked. It has changed so bad. No longer safe. About the only thing that is still there is the White Castle on 71st. and Western. How many times did we ditch church and go there insteadl Never figured out how my parents always knew. Probably because we smelled like White Castles.... I drive down to 63rd and Western past the Sears Roebuck that used to be there. I worked there during high school. I drive down 63rd street. Once beautiful neighborhood stores, now a disaster. I can't even read the writing of the names of the stores. All the beautiful theaters are gone, HiWay, Colony, Marquet. Had lots of dates at those theaters.

My grammer school is now closed. My neighborhood is gone. I wish I could turn back time but we can't. We have to live with the present. I guess this is why all the "burbs" are packed now. It is such a shame. My chldhood was the best you could ever ask for. I wish I could turn back time. But I guess we must live in the present. Well, I hope to visit in April/08. Bell Avenue, I will once again visit you and show my grandson where I grew up. You are in my blood.
These posts, including the one by 67 & Artesian, are really quite interesting. These are great stories. Did anyone else grow up in a once wonderful neighborhood that has declined so terribly? Has anyone left a neighborhood out of fear, only to return to one that is now safe again after re-development or gentrification?

My grandparents grew up in a Hammond neighborhood that is now quite unsafe, and spent a lot of time visiting other relatives on the South Side. It was great to ride around the South Side, Gary, and Hammond with them when they were still alive to talk about their old memories of these places. We have to make sure that the sort of urban decline and neglect that ruined much of Chicago in the 20th century is never allowed to happen again!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:51 PM

I have not taken that L for over 30 years.I was harrased and said that's it. I used to GO ALL OVER Chicago via the CTA. No problems, after 1970's forget it you have to be very carefull. My husband had his car window's broken at 65 th and Ashland 1972 Camero.
Last time anyone I know left a car their. I worked with some very nice black people who were very afraid of that L and the Red line down the Dan Ryan.People will not return to public transportation because of fear.We need to use public transportation.
Smart growth requires building around existing infrastructure .
This area SOUTHSIDE Chicago should be the site of national attention.
Show people how to turn it around.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM

The loss of the Steel mills did that area in.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:26 AM

14 posts, read 43,979 times
To anyone who plans on moving to Chicago be very carefull there is not to many places left where you will feel safe. Someone says that 60655 is one of the best area in Chicago. I live in 60655 and my advice is stay on the westside of western between 111th and 103rd and California. Mount Greenwood isn't to bad, on second thought why would anyone want to move to Chicago anyway. I live in a white neighborhood but that doesn't matter because the people who are out to committe crime come from the other side of the dan ryan into our neighborhood and commit all kinds of crime so how safe are we anyway. some even come as far as Joilet. A neighbor of mine teenage daughter was walking home from a friends house when a certain person came up to her and pointer a gun and demanded money. Poor kid she is too scared to leave her house without someone with her. Stay away from Western ave just ask the lady who crosses the kids for school how many times she has been robbed. I am sorry but I can't think of one safe place in Chicago, Beverly and Morgan Park which was once a good strong safe neighborhood is no longer. When I first moved here fifteen years ago families were out for evening walks after dinner and alot of couples would be walking as late as 11:00pm. I tell you it was so nice to see, but unfortunely in the last six years nobody is out walking. Gone is the families who use to take the kids for evening walks before bed or the young couples and old going for walks and talking. Ask the guy who went for a walk the block next to mine and was stronged armed or the one who a block from my house on 111th street on his way home a car load of men stopped and pulled out a gun and robbed him. I no longer go for walks in my neighborhood instead I walk out of the house and right to my car. Yes I really can't think of anyplace in chicago that is safe, if you don't have to live here don't. My advice move out side of cook county for safty and tax reason.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrose View Post
To anyone who plans on moving to Chicago be very carefull there is not to many places left where you will feel safe. Someone says that 60655 is one of the best area in Chicago. I live in 60655 and my advice is stay on the westside of western between 111th and 103rd and California. Mount Greenwood isn't to bad, on second thought why would anyone want to move to Chicago anyway. I live in a white neighborhood but that doesn't matter because the people who are out to committe crime come from the other side of the dan ryan into our neighborhood and commit all kinds of crime so how safe are we anyway. some even come as far as Joilet. A neighbor of mine teenage daughter was walking home from a friends house when a certain person came up to her and pointer a gun and demanded money. Poor kid she is too scared to leave her house without someone with her. Stay away from Western ave just ask the lady who crosses the kids for school how many times she has been robbed. I am sorry but I can't think of one safe place in Chicago, Beverly and Morgan Park which was once a good strong safe neighborhood is no longer. When I first moved here fifteen years ago families were out for evening walks after dinner and alot of couples would be walking as late as 11:00pm. I tell you it was so nice to see, but unfortunely in the last six years nobody is out walking. Gone is the families who use to take the kids for evening walks before bed or the young couples and old going for walks and talking. Ask the guy who went for a walk the block next to mine and was stronged armed or the one who a block from my house on 111th street on his way home a car load of men stopped and pulled out a gun and robbed him. I no longer go for walks in my neighborhood instead I walk out of the house and right to my car. Yes I really can't think of anyplace in chicago that is safe, if you don't have to live here don't. My advice move out side of cook county for safty and tax reason.
Chicago is much safer than it was 15 years ago , but of course it is no walk in the park and crimes happen eyerwhere. That is what happens in a city of 3 million.Wow.

Maybe you need to move out of your neighborhood if it is getting too crime ridden for your tastes.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:39 PM

14 posts, read 43,979 times
Avengerfire you are right crime is everywhere no matter where you live and its not that the people in my neighborhood who is committing crime its the outsiders. Yes and I am planning on moving, maybe I am looking for a place that doesn't exist anymore. Maybe I am living in the past as a kid when we didn't have to lock our doors and we always felt safe. I quess I don't like Chicago and never did, we moved here from another state when I was 12yrs. old and this was the first time we had to have our doors lock and not allowed to roam around like I use to. And the first time I got jumped and beaten, boy did I learn quick on how to defend myself. I didn't want to offend anyone who lived here there whole life and love it here. My husband was born and raised in Chicago and this is his whole life. So I won't be writing anything bad about Chicago again I will keep it to myself. Unless its about Daley, stroger and the governor now that is a whole new ballgame.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:43 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Avengerfire you are right crime is everywhere no matter where you live and its not that the people in my neighborhood who is committing crime its the outsiders. Yes and I am planning on moving, maybe I am looking for a place that doesn't exist anymore. Maybe I am living in the past as a kid when we didn't have to lock our doors and we always felt safe. I quess I don't like Chicago and never did, we moved here from another state when I was 12yrs. old and this was the first time we had to have our doors lock and not allowed to roam around like I use to. And the first time I got jumped and beaten, boy did I learn quick on how to defend myself. I didn't want to offend anyone who lived here there whole life and love it here. My husband was born and raised in Chicago and this is his whole life. So I won't be writing anything bad about Chicago again I will keep it to myself. Unless its about Daley, stroger and the governor now that is a whole new ballgame.
That was a candid and honest answer. I hope you find success wherever you move to. Yeah, why rip on the city problems when we can rip on Daley, Storger and Blago? They are the ones that really need the heat!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:46 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
There are many safe neighborhoods in Chicago on the North Side. I've lived here for years and rarely had any problems. No, I probably wouldn't let a child roam free all day, but you shouldn't do that in any big city--or the suburbs for that matter. In terms of large American cities, the "safe" part of Chicago is larger than the entire area of most others. For instance, the population of Gold Coast, Old Town, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, North Center, Ravenswood, and the Northwest Side combined is about the same as the population of the entire city of San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago