Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 09:35 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times

Advertisements

Marquette Park,

I disagree with many of your points. To say the southside is cleaner than the northside is complete BS in my opinion given all the abandoned steel mills and heavy industry. The Des Plaines River is certainly more polluted as it approaches the south from all the pollutants thrown in by heavy industries. As far south as Crete or Frankfort this may be true but even by Steger it is not a clean situation. Orland Park, Tinley Park, and far south places such as Manhattan are clean for the most part, but that is like Lake Zurich or Libertyville. (Yes, mundelein, waukegan, and gurnee are polluted but they are the exception, not the rule on the northside).

To say blacks own the southside is true in that population wise blacks represent a majority in many neighborhoods. Ownership-wise I do not see this the case as many blacks are renters. Though many blacks own their homes and businesses as well as some commercial properties, the majority of ownership of properties (especially commercial) is not black. If you choose to argue this point I am happy to come up with some hard numbers to support this.

Right or wrong, including the south south, I do not blacks economically dominating the whole south side though blacks certainly do dominate in select neighborhoods.

I will do some research on garfield park and austin and see who owns those neighborhoods, though I have some italian friends who own several hundred units in garfield park.

Last edited by mdz; 03-08-2008 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: edited out the part that referred to deleted post

Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 7,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
You can't really draw west and south side generalizations. There are good and bad neighborhoods in both. The north side is more gentrified and there are fewer bad neighborhoods, but there are some. Defining "bad" as low income and high crime and "good" as stable and livable, I'd say (not all inclusive but just to illustrate):

South Side Bad

Englewood
Back of the Yards
Woodlawn

South Side Good

Beverly
Hyde Park
Chatham

West Side Bad

Austin
Garfield Park
Lawndale

West Side Good

Little Village
Pilsen
Archer Heights

If you're that concerned about it, might I suggest that you research the neighborhoods and look at the median income. If it's below $30k or so, it's probably a bad neighborhood -- or contains too many bad areas to make it worth moving there. The higher the median income, the better the area, obviously.

You also have to look at the demographic changes going on in the area. Some formerly solid communities (such as Marquette Park for example) are generally considered to be declining. Some formerly nasty areas (such as Bronzeville, the South Shore and Oakland for example) are considered to be on the rise.
I am currently looking at purchasing a nice newly rehabbed condo around Marquette Park and thought this looked pretty decent area. You think this is going down as far as being a nice place to live?

Curious as I live in 60639 and many suggest this is a high crime and gang driven area yet I have not one problem and I travel CTA during the week.

Let me know more if you really know this area right there nearby Marquette Park.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Marquette Park is a bit of a mixed bag safety-wise. West of Kedzie is definitely better than east, and stay south of 63rd. I'd put at least a few blocks between myself and those streets.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:54 AM

45 posts, read 169,357 times
Gestapo? Isn't there some adage about every online argument resorting to mentioning Hitler sooner or later?

After reading this thread, I think I'll just stay within my thin swath of safety and spin fantastical tales for my grandchildren about the savage hordes in the interior.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,446 times
Default Moving to the Southside?

Okay, so I'm starting grad school at the University of Chicago in the fall and want to buy and affordable (less than 150K) house on the Southside. Obviously some of the neighborhoods deemed the safest do not have such properties for sale (i.e. Hyde Park, Kenwood, Beverly, etc). Therefore, I am wanting to get some opinions on safe neighborhoods south of the university and with good public transportation to the campus. Some such neighborhoods that have lower crime rates south of Univ. of Chicago would be Marynook, Avalon Park, Groveland Park, Jackson Park Highlands. Anyone know anything about these neighborhoods: good or bad? What is wrong with the South Shore neighborhood? It has a higher crime rate, but I've been told that the closer one is to South Shore Drive, the safer the area is? Also, I've lived in some shady areas in New York: meat-packing district of Brooklyn and Jersey City (10 years ago), so as long as these communities would be comparable or safer to the shadier neighborhoods of New York, I wouldn't be too worried. Also, I have a young son, so I just want to know going to parks and taking walks would be safe. We are looking at the Southside because we don't want to live in a mostly white neighborhood; we are looking for diversity and we are wanting a community where we know our neighbors and look out for one anothers' kids. Any help or suggestions would be great. And what is wrong with Chatham, Bronzeville, Grand Crossing, etc?

Old 03-20-2008, 07:10 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebriones View Post
Some such neighborhoods that have lower crime rates south of Univ. of Chicago would be Marynook, Avalon Park, Groveland Park, Jackson Park Highlands. Anyone know anything about these neighborhoods: good or bad? What is wrong with the South Shore neighborhood? It has a higher crime rate, but I've been told that the closer one is to South Shore Drive, the safer the area is?

We are looking at the Southside because we don't want to live in a mostly white neighborhood; we are looking for diversity and we are wanting a community where we know our neighbors and look out for one anothers' kids. Any help or suggestions would be great. And what is wrong with Chatham, Bronzeville, Grand Crossing, etc?
Well, for one thing, if you're looking for diversity, these neighborhoods certainly don't fit the bill. They're all 85%+ African American. And "safe" is a relative term I suppose. In any case, a decent home for under $150k is going to be a very tough go in a safe area, and probably not doable in any of the areas you mention either. It may make sense to rent for awhile and see what the market does and where your career takes you. Not to lecture but what's the rush? By renting, you can try out different areas and see where you feel most comfortable.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:14 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillhedin View Post
I am currently looking at purchasing a nice newly rehabbed condo around Marquette Park and thought this looked pretty decent area. You think this is going down as far as being a nice place to live?

Curious as I live in 60639 and many suggest this is a high crime and gang driven area yet I have not one problem and I travel CTA during the week.

Let me know more if you really know this area right there nearby Marquette Park.
I spoke directly from my cousin's experience, who lived there for 10 years. Yes, she thinks it's facing some challenges. For all the talk of all of "Daley's Trash" being pushed into the suburbs, it's also going into many Chicago neighborhoods too. You just don't hear about that as much.

If you're seriously considering it, you should definitely go check it out at all times of day and decide how you feel.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:02 PM

8 posts, read 50,638 times
um first off, Pilsen and Little Village not all that good. I know, i have family there. But i would stick to the northside, even though there is nothing wrong with the southside, which i used to live in, or the west side, in which i live in now. But seeing as to how u are so concerened, there is no place in which u are truely safe, even in the "safest" of hoods..i mean neighborhoods.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:52 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default Bru67

Bru67,

Why did you say Pilsen and Little Village are good?

I don't agree with you on this one, but you seem knowledgeable from your other posts and I would like to hear why you included these areas as "good."

I would agree that pilsen and little village, with all their problems are still better than most parts of austin, garfield park, and lawndale.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:54 AM

440 posts, read 1,502,142 times
Pilsen east of Racine, including the part east of the Ryan, is a very nice neighborhood. Very quiet and laid back.

Things get tougher West of there, but I still think it gets a bit of a bum rap.

A lot of Pilsen's less than stellar reputation comes from the perspective of people raising families. A lot of the housing is not terribly great, and the presence of gangs gives them reason to be concerned for the safety of their children.

Many come to the conclusion that the suburbs suit their lifestyle better, and they move out. Some are unable to move to the suburbs, but wish they could. Either way, these are the people who tend to be down on the neighborhood and are most likely to badmouth it.

But the thing to remember is that their problem is not so much with Pilsen, but with inner city neighborhoods in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago