Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 10:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
Yowsa...So... Where would be a good place to live if you have never lived in this large a city before, I am street smart to a point, but from what you are saying, I wouldn't want to be out late at night anywhere in this city! Sheesh! I grew up in Fort Wayne, and it was a scary place in some spots, but from what you are saying, I better just avoid Chicago~

Tell me some light is at the end of the tunnel, and not the one that I would be walking to when I get shot!

Thanks!
First of all, get a grip. Well over a million middle-class people live in the city and go about their daily lives without incident. Being out late doesn't make you an automatic target, it just makes you a more likely one. But double or triple your .01% chances of being a victim of a major crime and it's still a slim chance. Being stupid is a bigger problem than being out late at night. And there are smart ways and stupid ways of being out late.

Second, the relatively safe neighborhoods are too numerous to list. Check out the sticky at the top of the Chicago forum to get an idea of which neighborhood is most suited to your needs, and if you have questions from there, shoot 'em our way.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:01 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
I am street smart to a point, but from what you are saying, I wouldn't want to be out late at night anywhere in this city! Sheesh! I grew up in Fort Wayne, and it was a scary place in some spots, but from what you are saying, I better just avoid Chicago~
I'm not trying to be insulting, but that's just silly. There are plenty of safe neighborhoods in Chicago.

I know where you're coming from. As a child in Wisconsin in the 70s and 80s, I was terrified of New York City because my only exposure to it was through the media and violent TV shows. While in school in the 90s, I dated a native Manhattanite for many years and fell in love with the city. I remember being shocked on my first visits to the Big Apple that it was indeed somewhat safe to take the subway at midnight, and that native New Yorkers do it all of the time. I was also surprised to find out that I, as a white guy, could walk down 125th Street in Harlem without incident (and now Bill Clinton has an office there).

If you use common sense, Chicago is not a scary place at all. So come on in to town and take a look.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:02 AM

34 posts, read 151,386 times
Mage, St. Bernard area is horrible. very high crime, as this is the Englewood area. Hyde park, maybe, but better than around St. Bernard. Much better in Beverly.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,118 times
Hey all, moving to the city for the first time and I just found this great forum!

My roommate used to live in the Northside right next to the Gold Coast somewhere, not exactly where I want to live. Lookin to spend $1000 or less a month for a 3 bedroom or a big 2 bedroom with equally sized rooms and so far all I've come up with is stuff in the Logan Square area.

Any parts of Logan Square I should avoid? How's Division at Campbell? (I think the closest main intersection to that is Division/Western.) I'll be seeing some more spots in Ukranian Village/Wicker Park area soon (although I have a feeling it's more Humbolt Park and borderline Ukranian Village/Wicker Park) and once I get their exact areas I'll probably ask for your opinions on them too. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Oh, I guess some good info to know is that we're both artists and I'm into going out at night and going to live shows.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzillinois View Post
...Any parts of Logan Square I should avoid? How's Division at Campbell? (I think the closest main intersection to that is Division/Western.) I'll be seeing some more spots in Ukranian Village/Wicker Park area soon (although I have a feeling it's more Humbolt Park and borderline Ukranian Village/Wicker Park) and once I get their exact areas I'll probably ask for your opinions on them too...

Once you get the exact areas let us know.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:33 PM

440 posts, read 1,502,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzillinois View Post
How's Division at Campbell?
Is called "Paseo Boricua", its got a huge Puerto Rican flag, plus a bunch of murals portraying the opression and crimes against humanity the U.S. has perpetrated upon Puerto Rico over the years.

So if you can stomach the anti-American propaganda (which is everywhere), and you don't mind the "Humboldt Park is not for sale" bullcrap, it is actually a pretty cool neighborhood with some great (and reasonably priced) restaurants.

It also might help if you've spent some time in Puerto Rico. That way, you'll realize how far out of the mainstream the "independistas" of Chicago's Puerto Rican community are, and you won't confuse them for anything other than what they are: a tiny group of politically impotent wingnuts.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:20 PM

66 posts, read 245,943 times
Talking Fantastic post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarquettePark View Post
Fact, Northside is smaller than southside,

Fact, Northside has higher prices than same items in the Southside

Fact, Northside has all "yes all" the best bars, clubs, live theater, Cubs, Art, Museums,

Fact, Northside being smaller (size) has substantially more people, cars, congestion

Fact, Northside has more violent crime (checked google and US Census Websites)

My Take

The northside of chicago, to an outsider can best be described as a super sized version of North Hollywood CA, Palo Alto CA, Cadilac MI, or Hoboken NJ, I really dislike the north side of chicago, because of its lack of breathing room, typical brick bungalow/single family homes on a regular city block, are few and far between. Streets are narrow and have little or no parking, unless you want to pay, or walk. Newbies to the area will notice almost everything costs more versus southside, Chicago in general has higher prices on everything unless your from Los Angeles, New York.

We can all agree that all Chicago Public Schools suck with the exception of Whitney Young, Jones Commercial, Morgan Park, Bogan, and Lane Tech.....

The Southside

The southside of chicago can best be described as super sized version of Spokane WA, Detroit MI, Baltimore ME. Southside is younger than the northside, neighborhoods are unfortuneately grouped by race primarily, and wealth secondary. Residential buidings taller than 100 feet, dont exist, majority of homes, have parking, grass, cleaner air, wider streets and substantially more breathing room.

I have learned not to get to riled up, when I see someone bashing the Southside, I have learned over the years, being a Cable Guy, why we dont get along too well, I have lived in both parts of town, and when I resided in the northside my overall quality of life and health declined, and day to day life situations were more difficult and stressing. Living on the southside is better than the northside especially if your low on funds and want to own instead of rent, there is an open and unrestricted feel to this area.

I may get banned or edited for these next remarks, allow me to apologize first if I offend or upset anyone

The City of Chicago and its alleged bad areas, are only bad, if you know some important details, from the person describing "A bad area"\

If you are White, above the age of thirty, married or single any income, The entire southside is bad,

If you are Hispanic any age, any income, married or single, The entire southside is the American Dream come true

If you are Black single or married, over the age of twenty five, middleclass income or higher you already know you own the southside, and let me say thankyou for allowing me to live in your southside

If you are employed or soon will be employed by the City or County, you must live in the southside otherwise you will be uncool and laughed at

If you are Gay, the entire southside is very bad for you.

If you are an artist, musician, or actor, the entire southside is very bad for you

If you are an enviromentalist, tree hugger, and lover of nature the entire southside is heaven for you and welcome........

If you are a young black college student the entire southside is the mecca of African American History, and the birthplace of some of the most respected and influential black leaders of our century

If I skipped any particular demographic, or cross section of American populus, its because you or they dont live here..........

In closing, when moving to chicago, a handy tip for discovering the truths and falsities of a particular area of the city, search by zipcode, ask find or bribe a Chicago Cop for info, ask find or bribe a Cable Guy (Me) for info, You would be amazed how informative and honest Southsiders are, if properly motivated

I have posted several articles on what is considered the best area of Chicago, zip 60655 60643 southside of course, do a search using my handle on this site
Great breakdown - this is why it's good to get more than one perspective. One wonders, though, where do the black gays live, ideally?? On a serious note, in your opinion, if you knew of a single black middle-aged woman who was relocating to the Chicago area and wanted to live in relative peace and safety by herself, and could get good Chinese food, what part of town would you recommend for her?

Old 08-16-2008, 04:33 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisMGOK View Post
Great breakdown - this is why it's good to get more than one perspective. One wonders, though, where do the black gays live, ideally?? On a serious note, in your opinion, if you knew of a single black middle-aged woman who was relocating to the Chicago area and wanted to live in relative peace and safety by herself, and could get good Chinese food, what part of town would you recommend for her?
The communities of Edgewater,Uptown, or Lake View.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:36 PM

66 posts, read 245,943 times
Default Appreciate the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The communities of Edgewater,Uptown, or Lake View.
Thanks for the starting points for my research!

Old 08-17-2008, 04:31 AM

47 posts, read 155,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrisMGOK View Post
Thanks for the starting points for my research!
I don't know if I qualify for middle age yet (I'm 30) but I'm a single Black woman moving to Chicago this year and I started researching last year. From what I've read (and maybe I'm wrong so someone correct me) I heard Uptown wasn't that great of a place, lots of hidden crime. I was thinking of Uptown because it was so mixed with lots of races. I've always mostly lived in mixed racial neighborhoods so Uptown appealed to me but I've heard it's not that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago