Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 02:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Yeah, and note that 24 of those homicides have occurred in Auburn-Gresham, erstwhile described as a middle-class neighborhood. Maybe strictly speaking by median income.... but it still has serious crime problems not typically associated with a middle-class environment.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:16 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlogan0301 View Post
I am going to go on a limb here and say that Southside is predominately black? So is that why it is considered "ghetto" and "poor", not worth living in? I mean how can people want to clean up Chicago or certain neighborhoods if they don't even want to walk down the street of that neighborhood past 6pm? Just seem ridiculous and very racist to me.

Do you know anything about Auburn Gresham?
The answer to the first part is yes, though you have to look at each neighborhood individually. The answer to the second part is no. Some areas are considered ghetto and poor for legitimate reasons. They have low income levels, low property values, high crime rates, little business development, poor quality schools, and just a generally shoddy quality of life. The entire south side has gotten a bad reputation due to those areas because a lot of folks don’t take the time to sort the wheat from the chaff, as they say.

Chatham is a generally well regarded majority black community on the south side, though some feel it has a better reputation than it actually deserves. I’ve been there and it seems ok to me but I haven’t spent enough time there to endorse it, or not. Auburn Gresham is just west of Chatham and probably similar.

The South Shore is supposedly up and coming but still has a ways to go. It has a high crime rate and is not recommended for amateur pioneers. One of my friends (who is black) just moved from there after a 2 year stint. He was robbed at knifepoint once, lived near some problem blocks and, while he didn’t hate the neighborhood, he wasn’t exactly sad to leave in the end. Safety had something to do with it, as did a feeling of isolation after living on the north side in terms of things to do.

Bronzeville, Kenwood and Oakland are also viewed as up and coming areas south of the Eisenhower, and probably further along in a positive direction than the South Shore.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:08 PM

13 posts, read 33,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlove01 View Post
Thanks, that's good to know about Garfield...at least I can definitely tell her to stay away from there. I don't have addresses for all the apartments. My friend didn't give them to me, but I'm sure I could look them up for her.

OK so far we have NO for Garfield, South Shore, Bronzeville. It seems there are mixed reviews about every area.

I guess that all has to do with the tolerance, and/or the street you live on. I can relate. I was born in Chicago, but haven't been back in quite some time. We also lived in the suburbs from 1988 till 1993 so I'm not that familiar with the areas nowadays. We live in FL now and there's a couple cities people say there's high crime and drugs and that's only in one small section of the city. The rest of it is perfectly fine. I don't think anyone wants to live where there are daily drive-by shootings and people screaming at all hours of the night. Those are the areas I would want my friend's daughter to stay out of if at all possible. They are also from the projects in Brooklyn so they are used to inner city living. Just don't want drug dealers knocking on her door at 2 in the morning. But she doesn't care she moves to a neighborhood where people hang out on the stoop in front of their residence. She is actually looking forward to a neighborhood where people are not afraid to socialize at all hours of the night.

I haven't heard anything about these places...Should these be the "top 3"?

--West Irving - 60618, neighborhood Old Irving Park
--Touhy Glen - 60626, 1 block from Lakefront and the El train
--Farwell Arms - 60626

Why doesn't she move to Wrigleyville or Lincoln Park or Wicker Park or some other nice north side neighborhood, find some roommates on rent.com or roommatefinder.com and enjoy a safe, fun lifestyle with people her own age without having to find a "pocket" in the South Side where she won't get shot at on a daily basis?

Is it a race thing? This makes no sense to me...

Old 09-17-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exceeder View Post
Why doesn't she move to Wrigleyville or Lincoln Park or Wicker Park or some other nice north side neighborhood, find some roommates on rent.com or roommatefinder.com and enjoy a safe, fun lifestyle with people her own age without having to find a "pocket" in the South Side where she won't get shot at on a daily basis?

Is it a race thing? This makes no sense to me...
I'm sure your advice is highly valued a year after it was sought.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:43 PM

13 posts, read 33,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I'm sure your advice is highly valued a year after it was sought.
Eh, whatever, I'm low on sleep and new to these forums...I guess I need to check the dates of the postings!

I still stand by what I said though...

Old 09-21-2008, 08:50 PM

4 posts, read 12,702 times
IMO all the restaurants between western and damen on chicago are pretty weak. Bacci's/Village is kinda fun for the cheap mega huge pizza slice but they only taste average good. Sunset Cafe is an exception, it is an adorable breakfast place with consistently good food. Only downside is a lot of police eat there

Old 09-21-2008, 08:52 PM

Why's that a downside? Planning to rob the place or something?

Old 09-30-2008, 10:38 AM

34 posts, read 151,386 times
Only reason they are holding the Olympics on the southside is because there is no room anywhere else.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:35 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isjeepin View Post
Only reason they are holding the Olympics on the southside is because there is no room anywhere else.
Washington Park and its surrounding area are not vacant nor is it the only park in Chicago. The coulda held it at the Brachs plant or the US Steel plant if they wanted vacant.

Maybe its convenient to downtown?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:59 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Washington Park and its surrounding area are not vacant nor is it the only park in Chicago. The coulda held it at the Brachs plant or the US Steel plant if they wanted vacant.

Maybe its convenient to downtown?
I understand what your saying, but Brachs??? I seriously doubt the mayor wants to clean up all of the blight that is still on the westside. The southside ideally is the best place for it- being that there is an a lot of space unlike the northside, and have more "up incoming neighborhoods" unlike the westside. Oh and the US Steel plant was just way yoo far to travel from downtown let alone O'hare...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago