Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 6,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
A biker was recently beaten very badly in the early evening under the LSD overpath on Foster by a group of teens. It is poorly lit over there between Sheridan and LSD. I bike it all the time but you do need to be very aware of your surroundings. The lakefront path can also be sketchy when not highly trafficed.

A better route would be to run the riverfront trail from Argyle @ River Park toward Skokie.

North Channel Trail - Ravenswood - Chicago, IL
Cool! I had no idea this was out there. Sounds like a much better plan. I've run through really sketchy portions of West Milwaukee before to hit safer paths, but I'm pretty sick of watching my back constantly for half a run. This looks like a slightly nicer alternative.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:32 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
I used to run in Humboldt Park all the time without incident other than seeing some teen walking around with pistol. The key is to run without any valuables and run in rags (I don't waste money on fancy workout clothes). I can also run a mile in under 5:00 so I don't really have issues running anywhere, so long as it is open. DO NOT RUN WITH HEADPHONES in a city like Chicago. Just asking for it. Kinda like riding the el with headphones, not a good idea to not be aware of your surroundings.

When I run, I just look like some poor white guy who is really fast (I don't wear a fancy watch when running either and suggest others to not wear jewelry of any kind). I always thought it hilarious to see me in my rags running twice the pace as someone with designer running outfit.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:34 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
if any locals can answer, i'd appreciate it. i'm not certain which neighborhood these streets run through but Grand and Sacramento cross street area, good or bad? also, i'm a gay artsy type.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:29 AM

325 posts, read 235,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
if any locals can answer, i'd appreciate it. i'm not certain which neighborhood these streets run through but Grand and Sacramento cross street area, good or bad? also, i'm a gay artsy type.
It's a rough area, but it's also industrial and somewhat isolated. If you have lived in an urban area and are not easily scared it might not be a big deal. If you are from out of town I'd reconsider and go 1 mile east.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:40 PM

thanks tuco. a little rough around the edges doesn't bother me, i prefer to stay in most of the times anyway. the reason i had asked was because there's this cheap loft in that area, not the new kinds of lofts that are popping up everywhere and are demanding high prices because of new wooden floors. it's infuriating that since the rich people like it, the market for them has risen ridiculously.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
thanks tuco. a little rough around the edges doesn't bother me, i prefer to stay in most of the times anyway. the reason i had asked was because there's this cheap loft in that area, not the new kinds of lofts that are popping up everywhere and are demanding high prices because of new wooden floors. it's infuriating that since the rich people like it, the market for them has risen ridiculously.
"A little rough around the edges" doesn't really capture it. That area is straight-up 'hood with serious gang problems, shootings, murders, robberies, and lots of 'em. If you want "a little rough around the edges" then I'd follow the one-mile-east recommendation.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:24 AM

325 posts, read 235,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"A little rough around the edges" doesn't really capture it. That area is straight-up 'hood with serious gang problems, shootings, murders, robberies, and lots of 'em. If you want "a little rough around the edges" then I'd follow the one-mile-east recommendation.
That particular intersection is industrial. Actually a good stretch of grand is industrial. The area around it is straight up hood, but this area is rather desolate and empty.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:01 AM

Which I suppose is wonderful if you never plan to leave the immediate intersection. A quiet intersection in the 'hood is still in the 'hood.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:17 PM

you guys sure do paint a different picture from what i saw when i had visited in the past. i stayed with a friend of a friend in humboldt park, on the dirty side but w/e, i walked around and was fine.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 PM

^^^ Where in Humboldt Park makes a huge difference. Right off of Western and Armitage is very different than right off of Sacramento and Grand. While it may "look" fine just by walking around, Humboldt Park is one of the most high-crime neighborhoods in a city already renowned for its violence. If you're still fine with that, then go ahead and move there. But you deserve to know what you're moving into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago