Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:49 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times

Advertisements

Cali I mean.
Sheesh, can't even make a little mistake here.

>.<
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:13 AM

894 posts, read 2,381,165 times
humboldt has been making the news a lot this year...

Teen, three men shot in Humboldt Park :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime (http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/1593876,w-humboldt-park-shooting-052709.article?plckCurrentPage=1&sid=sitelife.sunt imes.com - broken link)

Old 04-21-2010, 10:44 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times

Old 04-22-2010, 08:00 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
like I said before, delusional

Old 04-22-2010, 08:36 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Default Humboldt Park's future

Not sure how my comments were off-topic as they pertain to the ongoing gentrification of Humboldt Park and elimination of the riff raff that has brought the community down over the past few decades.

As I stated before, Humboldt Park is constantly changing, from one ethnic group to another. Germans and Norweigians built the park and many of the 2-3 flats and other apartment buildings we see in Humboldt Park, which are mostly well-built and some of which are older than 100 years old.

Starting in the 1950s, there was a big migration of Puerto Ricans and the population started to change. Southern parts of Humboldt Park are almost entirely black as the result of spillover from Garfield Park to the south, which changed dramatically as its population shifted from white to black.

Gentrification has certainly slowed in Humboldt Park and while there are parts that are liveable, it is not an area I would raise a family and would not have my kids go there to school unless they got into Lane Tech. This is not any different than many other areas. Clemente High School is very challenged and I would never send my kids there to school.

The kind of gentrification that happened in Bucktown/Wicker Park and now is happening in Logan Square will slowly flow over into Humboldt Park as is currently happening on the eastern side of the Park. West of Kedzie, gentrification will take longer. I expect gentrification will happen the closer you are to Logan Square and West Town and the further you are away from Garfield Park and Austin, which I do not see improving for a long time.

Eevee, lived just a few blocks south and west of where I lived and am looking to buy another building, but a few blocks makes a huge difference. My building is only 1/2 mile north and east of that corner and the neighborhoods are very different. There are no blue flashing lights or gang bangers and people out at all hours on street corners on my block as it is mostly hispanic working families. We have a few black families in some of the absentee landlord buildings (like 5 families for the whole block). One black family owns their building and apart from grown black men hanging out on their porch at night drinking and smoking the occasional blunt, they are harmless. I even chat it up with Demetrius from time to time. Nice guy, but wears ankle band due to continued problems from heroin addiction.

For the most part, my former neighbors are good people, just poor. They just call me guerro and that is all good, because I am the lone white boy on the block.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:53 AM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Not sure how my comments were off topic either. I see some egregiously off topic stuff here that never gets deleted. Maybe as a resident of Humboldt Park, my opinion of Humboldt Park is somehow less valid.
Way to wield your almighty power, Mod.
Nice.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
I disagree with many of MissHumboldt's remarks but they are relevant to Humboldt Park discussion. We need to have other viewpoints represented, however delusional.

I wholeheartedly disagree with Humboldt being this safe place with good schools, but MissHumboldt certainly has the right to express their opinions.

Quigboto,

Like you, I wish I did not buy my property in Humboldt Park, but it has taught me alot. I think over the long haul I will be okay, especially as this experience may allow me to buy some bargains down the road that I would not have been aware of had I not bought here in the first place.

Humboldt Park is getting better, we just need to be patient. It will be a long, long time before we get back to 2005-2007 prices, but if we hold on for the next 10 years most of us should be okay.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:31 AM

3,502 posts, read 3,134,181 times
Humboldt1,
We talked ourselves into buying this place because of HP's potential. What a mistake. After 5 years, I would be hard pressed to wait another 10 for the neighborhood to realize it's potential, if it ever reaches it at all. I am at an age where I would rather be someplace that wants to get there and is either well on its way or has arrived. I think its sad that the same people who thump their chest about neighborhood pride can't even pick up their garbage and tolerate, sometimes even celebrate, thugs and criminals running roughshod over their beloved 'hood.
I am often frustrated and filled with regret at my decision to buy a house here. We would even unload this place at a reasonable loss if the opportunity came just to get out from under it.

Last edited by quigboto; 04-22-2010 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: incomplete

Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
whoa!...half the discussion just "magicaly" dissapeared....

Old 04-23-2010, 10:27 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,431 times
Humboldt, I don't share your predictions regarding Humbold Park. I was looking at the area around Pulaski and North and it looks pretty run down. There has been talk of Humboldt Park gentrifying for the past 15 years. The only areas I see improving in the next 10-20 years are the areas bordering eastern Logan Square and West Town. The development in Humboldt Park starts to drop off west of Sacramento and is virtually non existent past 3300 West. I see the development headed northwest instead of west. The spill over of gentrification will go towards Avondale and not Humboldt Park west of Kimball. Expect the neighborhood west of Kedzie to be a Latino Barrio for the next 20+ years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago