Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 07:41 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I would have thought that BU is a lot more highly ranked school than UIC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
I would go with the school that has the most highly ranked MPH program and the best overall reputation in that field. The cost of living isn't all that different and you can make up for any variance by picking a different neighborhood as both cities have so many from which to pick.

I agree with the above posters. I think US News and World Report rank both of them in the top 20 MPH programs in the US, but BU looks higher (11 vs UIC's 16). I also think BU has a better overall reputation than UIC, so if you were to look for a job in other cities in the US, I would think you'd have better luck saying you're from BU than from UIC. If the schools were equal in reputation, I'd pick Chicago, but I'm biased. I think both are great cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
I agree with the above posters. I think US News and World Report rank both of them in the top 20 MPH programs in the US, but BU looks higher (11 vs UIC's 16). I also think BU has a better overall reputation than UIC, so if you were to look for a job in other cities in the US, I would think you'd have better luck saying you're from BU than from UIC. If the schools were equal in reputation, I'd pick Chicago, but I'm biased. I think both are great cities.
100% Agree with all of this.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:56 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,906 times
I know Boston and Chicago well, as well as the medical community.

Chicago is much cheaper, and you will live better as a student. However, Boston is a great city to be both a student and in medicine. BU/Boston City Hospital is definitely better respected then UIC in the medical world. It is also easier and probably a little safer to zip around the much smaller city (much much much smaller) Boston at all hours (except not 24hrs in Boston!) - walking or public transport.

I would go to Boston if you have no personal preference. UIC is a good 2nd choice though. If it is more important to you to be in Chicago/really big city for personal reasons, then follow your gut.

Last edited by sfcambridge; 04-22-2012 at 09:17 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
[quote=buckie2o5;23974848]I'm kinda stuck between UIC and BU MPH programs with only a few days away to choose. I've done my research as much as I can via UIC SPH's website, but I feel like I don't know enough about the school or city. And unfortunately, I don't have the option to visit before the decision deadline so I was wondering if I can find out more information about the program at UIC from those who attended or know someone from the school. Any relevant details, experiences, or insight would be greatly appreciated! I've heard the costs of living in Chicago (UIC school area) can be just as expensive as Boston (South End, Back Bay area), is that true?[/quote]

Well, it's a slam dunk and this should settle your decision for you...just simple economics really. Food & Wine magazine names top doughnut stores in the U.S. and as one might imagine...Chicago is #1 with the Doughnut Vault and their $1 cups of coffee and Boston #2.

Congratulations and welcome to Chicago!

America's Best Doughnuts | Food & Wine

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 04-23-2012 at 05:54 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 12:38 PM

126 posts, read 207,927 times
I know nothing about Boston. And I don't know MPH programs.

But.....I am moving to Chicago in June for a fellowship at UIC Medical Center, and I just spent a week in Chicago apartment hunting.

The area right around UIC is nice, safe, and while not the most expensive in the city, it is not the most economical either. However, there is really good public transit to UIC and the Hospital, with 2 train lines and several major bus lines within a few minutes walk. It not only possible to live away from campus and use transit to get there, it is easier and less expensive because you won't have to pay for parking or fight traffic. You will have great freedom to pick a residence based on where you'd like to live, not just proximity to UIC.

The same transit that gets you to and from campus will get you to and from entertainment, dining, nightlife, shopping, etc.

If you decide for UIC, come on back and I'm sure plenty of forumites will be happy to help with neighborhood advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: