Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 05:26 AM

96 posts, read 210,735 times

Advertisements

I noticed that the parking lots at the end of the commuter train lines are very small in Chicago. In Boston, the end of each subway line has a huge parking structure with literally thousands of spaces. Similarly, the commuter rail in Boston has fairly decent parking lots at each stop out in the 'burbs.

In Chicago, the end of the Purple Line only has 328 spaces. I can't imagine that this doesn't fill up by 5:00 AM. How late can one get there and still have parking available for the morning commute?

CTA Park & Ride: Park at 'L' stations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 06:17 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
First off, this is not Boston and no a single soul here cares one iota how wicked huge the parking structures there may be.

Second, Wilmette has stops for the Metra as well, the Metra UP-N line is significantly quicker for getting into the Loop and with nicer seats / layout is much prefered by commuters that like to do a bit of work on the train.

There will be many folks on the purple line that walk to the Linden station though if you need to drive you probably will want to get there early, especially on days when it is raining or snowing.

There are businesses near the Metra stop that will rent out parking to folks unable to get a permit for a space in the official lots. I have not seen as much of that near the CTA stations which leads me to beleive parking might not be as constrained...

Old 07-31-2015, 07:15 AM

96 posts, read 210,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
First off, this is not Boston and no a single soul here cares one iota how wicked huge the parking structures there may be.
First off, why are you such a mass hole? You would fit right in in Boston ! The point I was making is not that Boston is somehow better than Chicago because it has huge parking structures. It is simply a question of "are the parking lots sufficient for the commuter population on the Purple Line". In Boston, the huge parking structures are stuffed to the gills by 8 AM. But maybe 328 spaces in Chicago is enough. Given that both metro areas are in the same ballpark in terms of population, one would think that Chicago would need more parking. Its a reasonable question. Don't take it so personally.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:40 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqcd View Post
First off, why are you such a mass hole? You would fit right in in Boston ! The point I was making is not that Boston is somehow better than Chicago because it has huge parking structures. It is simply a question of "are the parking lots sufficient for the commuter population on the Purple Line". In Boston, the huge parking structures are stuffed to the gills by 8 AM. But maybe 328 spaces in Chicago is enough. Given that both metro areas are in the same ballpark in terms of population, one would think that Chicago would need more parking. Its a reasonable question. Don't take it so personally.
The CTA is an agency controlled by the city of Chicago. The MBTA (which controls the subways and the commuter system in Boston) is a state agency and caters to the needs of the suburbanites to a much greater degree than the CTA. Here in Chicago, Metra is in charge of commuter rail service and is largely controlled by suburban interests. Metra stations generally have large parking lots/structures to cater to the downtown commuting crowd.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:42 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqcd View Post
I noticed that the parking lots at the end of the commuter train lines are very small in Chicago. In Boston, the end of each subway line has a huge parking structure with literally thousands of spaces. Similarly, the commuter rail in Boston has fairly decent parking lots at each stop out in the 'burbs.

In Chicago, the end of the Purple Line only has 328 spaces. I can't imagine that this doesn't fill up by 5:00 AM. How late can one get there and still have parking available for the morning commute?

CTA Park & Ride: Park at 'L' stations
Actually I've noticed that the Wilmette stop along the METRA (Union Pacific-North line) definitely fills up by around 8 AM or so. The CTA stop not so much. The CTA ride is actually much slower & lengthier to get into downtown compared to the Metra. Even a Purple Line Express train can't compare to the speed of the METRA.

The Linden stop is useful for taking a shorter hop to the north side of Chicago (say Loyola University in Rogers Park, Wrigley Field in Lakeview, or the neighborhood of Lincoln Park). Ridership is relatively low out of Linden, but really its main purpose is to allow the residents of Evanston (all the stops south of Linden in Wilmette) to be able to directly access the CTA system. You'll notice that ridership is much higher out of the Evanston - Davis Street (downtown Evanston) & Evanston - Main Street stops. Linden is just where the trains are docked and turn around, and historically this goes back a long time I believe. I doubt that Wilmette with its wealthier NIMBY types would have CTA trains if this system was newly created today.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:46 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,249,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Actually I've noticed that the Wilmette stop along the METRA (Union Pacific-North line) definitely fills up by around 8 AM or so. The CTA stop not so much. The CTA ride is actually much slower & lengthier to get into downtown compared to the Metra. Even a Purple Line Express train can't compare to the speed of the METRA.

The Linden stop is useful for taking a shorter hop to the north side of Chicago (say Loyola University in Rogers Park, Wrigley Field in Lakeview, or the neighborhood of Lincoln Park). Ridership is relatively low out of Linden, but really its main purpose is to allow the residents of Evanston (all the stops south of Linden in Wilmette) to be able to directly access the CTA system. You'll notice that ridership is much higher out of the Evanston - Davis Street (downtown Evanston) & Evanston - Main Street stops. Linden is just where the trains are docked and turn around, and historically this goes back a long time I believe. I doubt that Wilmette with its wealthier NIMBY types would have CTA trains if this system was newly created today.
Interesting...it's just there because they needed open space to turn the trains around. That makes sense. I always wondered why Wilmette had a CTA stop - it seems incongruous.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Interesting...it's just there because they needed open space to turn the trains around. That makes sense. I always wondered why Wilmette had a CTA stop - it seems incongruous.
The history is weird.

Chicago ''L''.org: Stations - Linden-Wilmette

Quote:
By 1912, the Northwestern Elevated had outgrown its terminal at Central Street, Evanston. There were also new riders to be had in the nearby suburb to the north, Wilmette. In February 1912, Northwestern President Britton I. Budd notified Wilmette officials of his intentions to extend the line into Wilmette, but opposition quickly developed. On the night of April 1, a construction crew entered the site under the cover of darkness and built a half car-long platform east of 4th Avenue. Wilmette residents awoke to rapid transit service -- the first train arrived at the tiny, hastily-built platform at Linden Avenue, Wilmette at 6:54am, April 2, 1912.
Can you imagine waking up to that April Fool's joke? They celebrated the 100th anniversary of the service in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago