Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
At night, I feel uncomfortable around the Howard el stop and the stretch along Howard over toward Sheridan.

Otherwise, I feel pretty safe overall in RP with rare exceptions (sometimes have encountered gangbanger types hanging out near the Lunt entrance to the Morse el stop around 9 or 10pmish...just makes me uncomfortable having to make them "part" so I can walk through the turnstile and it is very isolated at that time of evening for the most part).

There are a fair number of shootings in RP but most are gang related. Two people were shot on 7300 N Sheridan Rd a block apart a few weeks ago. And others on Pratt near Ashland.

Bottom line, non gang members are almost never targets.

My preference to be between Lunt and Loyola. The southern portions feel safer to me in the evening.
I really love the buildings on the dead ends that are right by Lake Michigan. You can hear the waves from your apartment.
Our fraternity house was there, 2 buildings from the beach, until it got sold and turned into condos.
If you ever find a coffin washed up on the beach off North Shore Av, don't worry it probably doesn't have a body in it
just part of the initiation process
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Overall, it is considered to be "nice", or it is troubled, especially near the Evanston border? I read a previous thread about this ward, and it was pretty inconclusive.
Moving?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Moving?
Sorry for the delay.

No certainties about anything...anywhere.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:43 PM

400 posts, read 957,335 times
Quote:
At night, I feel uncomfortable around the Howard el stop and the stretch along Howard over toward Sheridan.

Otherwise, I feel pretty safe overall in RP with rare exceptions (sometimes have encountered gangbanger types hanging out near the Lunt entrance to the Morse el stop around 9 or 10pmish...just makes me uncomfortable having to make them "part" so I can walk through the turnstile and it is very isolated at that time of evening for the most part).

There are a fair number of shootings in RP but most are gang related. Two people were shot on 7300 N Sheridan Rd a block apart a few weeks ago. And others on Pratt near Ashland.

My preference to be between Lunt and Loyola. The southern portions feel safer to me in the evening.
I really love the buildings on the dead ends that are right by Lake Michigan. You can hear the waves from your apartment.
Good to know soulful about the bangers loitering by the Lunt entrace of the EL. The bangers get no peace on Morse. They really get no peace around there and they are always changing where they hang, because really its just not tolerated. I never make bangers part ways, I just call the police and let them do it. Its just not a good idea, you are outnumbered.

Rogers Park is getting better, still troubled in parts yes. But most notably Morse has been much better of late.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:56 PM

183 posts, read 338,867 times
Agree with all pps, you've received accurate advice. Additionally, your risk of running into any problem falls dramatically if you are not out in the wee hours.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,507 times
Default Ropa

Stay AWAY from Howard street I used to live very near loyola on albion. That area was fine. Occasionally the red line stop had bums hanging around but with it so close to loyola the police cleaned that out quickly. Not alot to do compared to the neighborhoods to the south but all in all east Rogers park is fine.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,287 times
Quote:

"Bottom line, non gang members are almost never targets"
We're not talking about finely tuned military trained snipers here, we're talking about morons who shoot into crowds indiscriminatly hoping they hit their intended target. If you're in a hell hole like RP and you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, you could get shot.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
"Bottom line, non gang members are almost never targets"
We're not talking about finely tuned military trained snipers here, we're talking about morons who shoot into crowds indiscriminatly hoping they hit their intended target. If you're in a hell hole like RP and you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, you could get shot.
Comments from someone whose never been to or lived in "RP," I think that's clear to those of us who have.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 AM

183 posts, read 338,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Comments from someone whose never been to or lived in "RP," I think that's clear to those of us who have.
"Hell hole" , that's hilarious. I snorted.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:22 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
IDK, East Rogers Park sounds similar to how it was 25 years ago and longer. As a kid growing up in SE Evanston and then SE Skokie, I never remember the area around Clark and Rogers being great. Cross the border at Howard going south on Damen and it sure changed block to block. Juneway Terrace was always no go zone. There were always good sections and dicey sections. From where I came from, having developed some street radar (street smarts?), it was no big deal. Quickly learned where I didn't want to be, especially on foot at night. While attending Loyola, I did laugh at kids from places like Barrington who had a hard time distinguishing what was truly threatening from what was simply urban. I always thought, "Man, you haven't experienced some of the neighborhoods on the west or south side have you?"
Lenniel reminds me of the sheltered suburban kids with no true urban experience to accurately determine what a true "hellhole" is. A section here or there in RP might be dicey, but the entire neighborhood?A "hellhole"?

I wonder how Lenniel would describe my neighboring town of Wheeling? Probably would, inaccurately, broad brush it all as a ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago