Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,561,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Be my guest, but even if I could get a great deal on a SFH in that area, I still wouldn't move my family there.

Until Uptown pols realize that they don't have to be the social service center of the northside, it'll continue to have a lot of problems.

I know, I know, those people gotta live somewhere and get what they need from someon, but again, that's why Uptown is what it is.
The number of social services in Uptown is dwindling...one of the largest is already closed and re-zoned and another is in the process of being foreclosed/sold. Let's not pretend like a new alderman isn't night and day from the previous decades worth of shiller.

neighborhoods don't change overnight...that Uptown has improved as much as it has the past 10+ years despite having an alderman that actively worked to prevent it is impressive. Given the early track record of the new alderman, i'm optimistic things will continue to get better.

Just because the previous decades of "uptown will get better hype" didn't pan out, doesn't mean the things that made the neighborhood attractive for that thinking in the first place don't remain.

Last edited by Aleking; 04-30-2012 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,010,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
The number of social services in Uptown is dwindling...one of the largest is already closed and re-zoned and another is in the process of being foreclosed/sold. Let's not pretend like a new alderman isn't night and day from the previous decades worth of shiller.

neighborhoods don't change overnight...that Uptown has improved as much as it has the past 10+ years despite having an alderman that actively worked to prevent it is impressive. Given the early track record of the new alderman, i'm optimistic things will continue to get better.

Just because the previous decades of "uptown will get better hype" didn't pan out, doesn't mean the things that made the neighborhood attractive for that thinking in the first place don't remain.
I agree with you 100% on Shiller. All she cared about was being reelected and she knew what her voting base was (and she successfully pandered to it) all the while watching Uptown businesses and residents being subjected to violence, crime, etc.

To be honest, I haven't followed much of what the new Alderman is doing and I don't know what his stance is on Uptown being the social services center of the northside, but I'd be interested to hear his honest thoughts.

But, based on location, Uptown would be a prime location to live it changes were made.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,197,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Be my guest, but even if I could get a great deal on a SFH in that area, I still wouldn't move my family there.

Until Uptown pols realize that they don't have to be the social service center of the northside, it'll continue to have a lot of problems.

I know, I know, those people gotta live somewhere and get what they need from someon, but again, that's why Uptown is what it is.
Well that would be true for me in ANY area with a large cluster of big apartment buildings whether it's city or suburbs. Where I lived when I was younger and when I was single was also different than where I want to live now. Preferences change.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,844,640 times
Stayed at a hotel in Rogers Park over the weekend, had no problems at all. The neighborhoods around Loyola ( near Morse, Jarvis) seemed fine, seemed to be a mix of large brick apt buildings and some very nice single-family homes. It's quite an excursion to get to O'Hare via CTA/buslines, although I couldn/t complain about the cost...

The views of Lake Michigan are fantastic , though...

Old 05-01-2012, 02:34 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,568,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Stayed at a hotel in Rogers Park over the weekend, had no problems at all. The neighborhoods around Loyola ( near Morse, Jarvis) seemed fine, seemed to be a mix of large brick apt buildings and some very nice single-family homes. It's quite an excursion to get to O'Hare via CTA/buslines, although I couldn/t complain about the cost...

The views of Lake Michigan are fantastic , though...
I can't believe you weren't shot and mugged three times.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Oy veh- tongue in cheek

Old 05-01-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Oy veh- tongue in cheek
yup

Old 05-01-2012, 03:21 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,844,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Well, the lady with the babushka was pretty threatening...but I don't understand Polish...

Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Well, the lady with the babushka was pretty threatening...but I don't understand Polish...
Babushka's have been known to beat the crap out of people with their cane.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:30 PM

But if you're nice to them they will give you copious amounts of homemade food as a thank you You might not know what it is but it is YUMMY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago