Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 PM

72 posts, read 242,708 times

Advertisements

My question is: Why would you choose Chicago over other major cities in the United States? Specifically NYC. I am not trying to make this a turf war of any sort. Just curious to see some other viewpoints. I personally want to move to Chicago.

Why would you?

Last edited by linicx; 04-30-2012 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:09 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Cost of housing.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:10 PM

413 posts, read 832,675 times
Chicago is more laid back than NYC.

Chicago has better use of waterfront and park space than NYC.

Chicago has 80% of the cultural activity of NYC at 50% of the cost.

Chicago is far easier to own a car in.

Personally I just think life here is so much easier. Paying 1/3 the amount on rent/mortgage just makes life so much easier and less stressful. I go to NYC all the time but just don't really feel like I am missing out on much at all.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
Chicago is more laid back than NYC.

Chicago has better use of waterfront and park space than NYC.

Chicago has 80% of the cultural activity of NYC at 50% of the cost.

Chicago is far easier to own a car in.

Personally I just think life here is so much easier. Paying 1/3 the amount on rent/mortgage just makes life so much easier and less stressful. I go to NYC all the time but just don't really feel like I am missing out on much at all.
I would agree on the waterfront, but parks? I would have to completely disagree with you on that one.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM

413 posts, read 832,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I would agree on the waterfront, but parks? I would have to completely disagree with you on that one.
I used to live in NYC on the upper east side. Sure Central park is nice. But its one park and its not that close to much of manhattan. because Lincoln park is so long its pretty close to a large portion of the city.

But I find the real difference to be the small 1 square block parks we have all over the place here. You will always have a reasonable park within walking distance in Chicago. Just didn't seem that way in Manhattan.

When I lived in NYC getting a tennis court on a weekend was not a possibility. Here its not a problem. When you have 10 guys for a soccer game in NYC, you each have to pony up $20 and rent a field at Chelsea Piers. Here you just meet a local park and throw some orange cones down.

I have not seen the numbers but I would be willing to bet that athletic fields, tennis courts and basket ball courts per capita is way lower in Manhattan than Chicago.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:54 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Cost of housing. I am always amazed at the small tiny spaces average New Yorkers live in. True they have fabulous digs there but you have to make a lot of money to affort them. The pace is too fast, the traffic is even worse than Chicago and I think NY have a different sensibility than people from here. Not that I do not like them but its always push, push, push. Its a bit more laid back here.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:07 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyPrescott View Post
My question is: Why would you choose Chicago over other major cities in the United States? Specifically NYC.
Well, NYC is monstrously expensive, for one thing. Unless you're willing to live far from all the action, or else in a part of town you're afraid to walk through. In Chicago you can live in a nice place in a very popular part of town, yet have enough money left over to get out and do things on a regular basis, without having a huge income.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:11 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyPrescott View Post
My question is: Why would you choose Chicago over other major cities in the United States? Specifically NYC. I am not trying to make this a turf war of any sort. Just curious to see some other viewpoints. I personally want to move to Chicago.

Why would you?
Less expensive is a big one. My apt in the Gold Coast would cost probably $4000/month in Manhattan for example and I pay less than $1400/month for mine. HUGE difference. While a few of the arts "scenes" in Chicago aren't as good as NYC, Chicago still offers pretty much everything NYC does.

While Chicago is expensive compared to say Des Moines, Chicago is one of two actual CITIES in the United States and more people who want to move to a real city can live here because of the housing costs, and have a harder time in NYC in the same case.

Los Angeles is a sprawl, still expensive, and their public transit sucks (very small and "regional"). San Francisco/San Jose is expensive as is Washington DC.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:36 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
With the huge crowds of people everywhere and ridiculous rents, New York just seems like too much of a rat race. It's ridiculous what people pay to live in Manhattan, and I'm not very inclined to join in the competition. The outer boroughs are better-priced, but still considerably more expensive than Chicago, and I think I'd really just want to live in Manhattan if I moved there, for Chicago is already like an outer borough of its own.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Chicago is:

less expensive than NYC
is easier to get around in (because of its grid and because of its size)
has great architecture
has great beaches close in
has lovely neighborhoods (NYC does have some, but I like Chicago's better)
is not as insane in terms of competitiveness (especially in terms of getting kids into the *best* schools. NYC has an absolutely nutty mentality even for preschoolers).
has great Museums though NYC has great ones too.
has some really great and affordable theater. I love the Neofuturians and lots of the gay theater here. NYC is again too expensive for theater although some off-off Broadway is not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago