U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 10,250 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
I am moving to Chicago from Albuquerque in a couple weeks and think I have found an affordable apartment at N. Sheridan and Montrose. Unfortunately, I am not able to visit the city before my move, so I am trying to read up on the neighborhood. Many online forums (including older threads on City-Data) say that this area in unsafe, but I was hoping to get some more opinions. I am a women in my late twenties. I do have experience living in "lower-class neighborhoods" in both Toronto and San Francisco and I am not deterred by grit, but I do want to be able to walk home safely from the el station at night. If I am streetwise is this block okay, or is it truly an area to be avoided? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 PM

15,320 posts, read 21,875,292 times
I don't spend as much time there anymore, so I don't know if this has changed, but the area is so-so. For example, I remember the Wilson Red Line stop being kind of shady at night. During the day it's probably fine, but not so sure about night. That stop is a few blocks north of you.

Not sure about your immediate area anymore though. If you are really concerned at night, I would get off at the Sheridan stop and take the 151 bus which comes right near the Sheridan stop. It would drop you off basically right infront of your place. Although it might cost you like 25 cents to transfer (sometimes it's free, but i don't 100% know the rules around this).

The area itself is one of the more shady areas of the north side..I don't let it get to me, but then again I'm weird like that. Other people might not like the area. If you have experience in areas like this, it might not be as bad.

Are there any other areas you're looking at? Budget?

Last edited by marothisu; 05-01-2012 at 10:56 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 10:51 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,675,015 times
It's shady

Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 PM

72 posts, read 133,588 times
Albeit shady, so and so proclaimed by others it is generally an okay area. There's a Target literally 4 minutes away in walking distance and Truman College right off the Wilson Red Line stop; most of the evening students pack between 6-9 PM. Some of the apartment buildings in front of the Jewels are a bit gorgeous, especially the new one built at the intersection of Sheridan and Montrose. But like most advice given out to other newcomers, don't draw out attention by pulling out your iphone or ipad. This is "serious" invite to get robbed, especially if you're a Caucasian male ... moreso a college student, but I suppose the only hassle a late-twenties female would face is being hit on by "random" strangers on the train. Overall I'd suggest that you'll be fine, so as long as you're aware of your surroundings. You picked a great area to live at, and hope you enjoy your stay in the city. You'll be living near the Green Mill lounge, perhaps you should give a check once you're in the city.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:44 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,398,715 times
schaumburg has seen more murders this year than this neighborhood...unless she's selling rock at 3am, she'll be more than fine..especially if as she siad, she can handle grit.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:22 AM

11,289 posts, read 24,580,364 times
Montrose is kinda the border. It's a little crazy to the north, and to the south is actually very beautiful, calm and quiet. I live on Sheridan just south of Montrose. There's a big supermarket on that corner, a Target store, etc. It's certainly not frightening, but there are a lot of social services to the northeast of that area, and they tend to bring in all walks of life. That said, things have changed quite a bit around that particular corner the past few years. Salvation Army closed down that had a lot of issues, Target opened, they redid Broadway. Another very large group home "nursing home" closed down last year that had a ton of problems. Another SRO is in the process of closing down, and it looks like something is about to happen with Lawrence House.

You could do much worse, and for the most part the "normal" people who live all over that neighborhood aren't ever bothered or living in fear.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:33 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,944,740 times
I've never had anyone start trouble with me on the street. If you just keep walking and make it apparent you are "headed somewhere" people generally get out of your way and don't bug you.

As for Montrose and Sheridan, there are several newish/largish condo/apartment complexes within 1/2 block of the intersection, a large Jewel grocery, a great World Gym in the same shopping center as the Jewel, a mega Target about 1.5 blocks north. It can be sketchy north of Montrose on Broadway and/or Sheridan. However, south of Montrose it is pretty ok in my book.

Since the original poster says she has lived in less than perfect urban areas before, I don't think there will be a problem unless it is late at night and just really bad luck. I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:35 PM

5,560 posts, read 4,971,645 times
Right to the north of there, the neighborhood is kind of weird, it doesn't feel that dangerous, it's just so funky it pushes on unpleasant. It's kind of like it's frozen in the 1970s back when much of Chicago was considered an armpit. I don't really mind it, but I knew someone who moved out of the neighborhood because she couldn't stand the weird semi-homeless people. South of Montrose, however, is quite charming. If the rent is appropriate for a marginal neighborhood, go for it.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 10,250 times
Thanks guys! It's sounds like a neighborhood I can handle. Very helpful! :-) Can't wait to get to Chicago.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,944,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish1786 View Post
Thanks guys! It's sounds like a neighborhood I can handle. Very helpful! :-) Can't wait to get to Chicago.
Thanks for saying thanks. Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>