Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 6,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Where in Des Plaines is work located?
In Southern Des Plaines, near Rosemont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufenlib View Post
In Southern Des Plaines, near Rosemont.
If it's near Rosemount in southern Des Plaines, then am I correct in assuming it's somewhat near the freeway? If so, you could easily get to work from Irving Park in less than 20 minutes if it's light traffic, especially if you were to live within a mile or so of the freeway. In medium traffic, probably still under 25 or 30 I'm guessing.

I wouldn't rule it out entirely if you are going to be working near the freeway. You could probably even look into North Center (depending on traffic patterns) but it might be pushing close to the 30 minute mark. I think Irving Park is doable though easily if the above about the freeway is true. Lincoln Square..not sure if that's doable in under 30. There's a decent amount of traffic lights between there and the freeway.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-07-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 12:59 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Irving Park is a good compromise. I wish it were more walkable, but at least its quick and easy to get to other more walkable areas while still providing a reasonable commute to the NW burbs.

That said, if you're commute is to southern des plaines near rosemont, you may be able to take the blue line and transfer to Pace. At certain times (if snowfall is forecast during afternoon rush or certain friday's during summer), its better to use public transit just to avoid using the Kennedy when its a parking lot.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
The North Central service runs from Western & Grand to O'Hare transfer, near O'Hare lakes office complex, in under half an hour. However the schedule is dicey.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,779 times
Your going to be lucky to see a 30 minute commute but if your young you'll want to live in Chicago not des plaines. Bucktown or wicker park if your artsy also Andersonville has been attracting hipsters lately. Lincoln square or north center would be good. Staying north of lakeview will keep your rent down. Avoid humboldt park and uptown. Oh and avoid most of Rogers park. The area right around loyola is ok but nothing to do.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I can get to the southern edge of Des Plaines in probably 25 minutes during rush hour from Old Irving Park -- and then it would take me about another 20 to get to the northern end. So working in southern Des Plaines near Rosemont helps quite a bit, particularly with the morning commute. The sucky part is going to be the evening commute home when you're fighting traffic pouring into town out of O'Hare. If you're looking for a good mix of urban and suburban environment with a reasonable (by Chicago standards) commute with good transit access, Jefferson Park is your best bet, followed by Old Irving Park and/or the southern edge of Mayfair. Jefferson Park has a large transit hub where a Metra station, a CTA train station, and numerous bus lines all converge. Old Irving Park has essentially 3 CTA train stations (Montrose, Irving Park, Addison) and two Metra stations. Both offer a manageable commute to Des Plaines, but the commute home from Des Plaines strongly favors Jefferson Park. The extra 2 miles to Irving Park can easily add 15 to 20 minutes to your evening commute.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 815 times
I'm surprised that Edison Park didn't come up as a suggestion. Great restaurants and bars to walk to, safe and beautiful neighborhood. It's on the northwest side of Chicago, bordering Park Ridge, and it's a 20 minute or less drive from E.P. to downtown D.P. It's probably not as exciting as Lakeview or Luncoln Park but it's a great balance of city living/short commute since you don't have to get on the highway. As an added bonus, it's not too far from O'Hare so traveling is convenient too. Going downtown during low traffic times is also a snap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago