Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 11:19 AM

4 posts, read 6,507 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I will possibly need to relocate to the Chicago area for a position in Des Plaines in the next month or so. I'm a 20-something female from the Southeast.

My boyfriend and I are ideally looking for a 2 BR (maybe 1 BR) near a transit station, but also no more than a 30 minute commute (driving) to Des Plaines. We could probably spend up to $1500 a month. Any suggestions on neighborhoods in Chicago or other suburbs to look in? Is Des Plaines itself a decent place to live? Would Chicago neighborhoods like Jefferson Park or Old Irving Park be safe possibilities? We want to have easy access to all the goings-on in Chicago since I've never really lived in a big city before and I'm looking for a change of pace. A walkable area is preferable.

Last edited by laufenlib; 05-03-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Des Plaines is a nice if somewhat boring place. Old Irving is a much better choice for someone your age as you will have much easier access to the amenities in Chicago. I don't drive to Des Plaines, during rush hour, someone else will have to provide an estimate.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufenlib View Post
Hi everyone,

I will possibly need to relocate to the Chicago area for a position in Des Plaines in the next month or so. I'm a 20-something female from the Southeast.

My boyfriend and I are ideally looking for a 2 BR (maybe 1 BR) near a transit station, but also no more than a 30 minute commute (driving) to Des Plaines. We could probably spend up to $1500 a month. Any suggestions on neighborhoods in Chicago or other suburbs to look in? Is Des Plaines itself a decent place to live? Would Chicago neighborhoods like Jefferson Park or Old Irving Park be safe possibilities? We want to have easy access to all the goings-on in Chicago since I've never really lived in a big city before and I'm looking for a change of pace. A walkable area is preferable.
Des Plaines is fine, but boring. It's not Chicago really. If you want to be in the city and you're fine with owning a car and all that, then do it. I think you'll be much happier if that's what you're aiming for.

You could probably live as far south as Lincoln Park or Bucktown if your 30 minute commute was in light traffic. Obviously though, it's going to take longer in jammed traffic. Personally, I like Lakeview (to the north of Lincoln Park) more than LP though. In any case..there's tons of walkable areas on the north side that would be within your commute (again, in light traffic).

If you want to live closer than that (most likely the case for you), then I would recommend also North Center, Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, Irving Park..and maybe somewhere like Andersonville or Edgewater

Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Des Plaines is a family centered (Leave it to Beaver) community, though some singles live there. The nearby city neighborhoods are about the same. Buck town maybe.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,079 times
Unfortunately, I-90 towards Des Paines is one of the most heavily jammed roads. So, a 30 minute driving commute is gonna be kind of hard. Is your job in downtown Des Plaines? If so, you can live near the Jefferson Park or Old Irving Park Road train stations and be able to take the METRA to work, but also be near the blue line to transit around the city. Come to think of it, that also opens up Bucktown/Wicker Park near the Clyborn METRA.

If your only way of getting to work is driving, Jefferson Park still might be a decent idea. Another idea, if you are willing to accept some variance in your commute time, especially in the afternoon, is Lincoln Square/ North Center. Those neighborhoods are not as 20-something oriented as Lincoln Park and Lakewview. They kind of have a mix of people of various age groups, but they also have quite a bit to do, and easy access to these neighborhoods via the brown line.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:40 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Unfortunately, I-90 towards Des Paines is one of the most heavily jammed roads. So, a 30 minute driving commute is gonna be kind of hard. Is your job in downtown Des Plaines? If so, you can live near the Jefferson Park or Old Irving Park Road train stations and be able to take the METRA to work, but also be near the blue line to transit around the city. Come to think of it, that also opens up Bucktown/Wicker Park near the Clyborn METRA.

If your only way of getting to work is driving, Jefferson Park still might be a decent idea. Another idea, if you are willing to accept some variance in your commute time, especially in the afternoon, is Lincoln Square/ North Center. Those neighborhoods are not as 20-something oriented as Lincoln Park and Lakewview. They kind of have a mix of people of various age groups, but they also have quite a bit to do, and easy access to these neighborhoods via the brown line.
X2

You're probably not going to be able to take public transportation to a job in Des Plaines as the suburbs aren't really set up for public transportation access.

I'm also a fan of the Jeff park and other hoods along the brown line.

During rush hour I'd find it common to take roughly 30 min from Bucktown to the city limits in any direction / any route, so any further east or south would just tack on more to an already lengthy commute.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:29 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufenlib View Post
Hi everyone,

Try Arlington Heights. It is very close and is a very walkable area with a wide variety of restaurants and shops.

When you move into Chicagoland, you MUST consider how long it is going to take for you to get to work. Commuting 2-3 hours per day gets very old very quickly.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 AM

4 posts, read 6,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
So, a 30 minute driving commute is gonna be kind of hard. Is your job in downtown Des Plaines?
Unfortunately my job isn't close enough to downtown Des Plaines for the Metra to be an option.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll look into Jefferson Park a bit more, and maybe test the commute from Lincoln Square when I am next in the city -- though Google Maps is telling me right now it's 40 minutes with traffic. Right now I'm spoiled by a mile or so walk from work, so the commute might wear on me after a while.

Any thoughts on Park Ridge? Is it fairly similar to Des Plaines?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:49 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Park Ridge is even more boring than Des Plaines. Perfect for accountants with families.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:19 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Where in Des Plaines is work located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago