Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 03:14 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times

Advertisements

Taking a further step back, where is it more convenient to live and work when gas (inevitably) goes to $5.00 a gallon and beyond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 03:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
This is a big deal, no doubt, but I'll really be convinced about a shift to downtowns when I see other engineering firms headed that way:
- AT&T/Naperville
- Tellabs/Naperville
- GE Healthcare/Mt Prospect
- etc

During the boom times of the 90s these companies all said that downtown was too expensive to move to. And they said their employees were suburbs-types, that most lived near those companies and wouldn't want to make a move downtown.

A company like GE Healthcare isn't powered by a 24 YO creative type. It's the 30s and 40s that drive those companies, that have the experience and knowledge to design systems that don't kill people. Those types don't live in the South Loop...
That might be correct about GE Healthcare, but a lot of other companies? I work for a tech giant..downtown.. I work with a lot of people over 35 as well as a lot of people in their early to mid 20s. Obviously most in their mid 20s live in the city, but the 35+? Yeah, there are a good number in the burbs, but a lot live somewhere in the city.

As far as " It's the 30s and 40s that drive those companies, that have the experience and knowledge to design systems that don't kill people. Those types don't live in the South Loop..."

That is true and untrue. It depends on the company and what they're doing. Pretty ageist here in my opinion. I have known people who became full on partners before they were 30. Doesn't mean jack **** how old you are. I work with guys who are in their upper 50s who don't "get it" and shouldn't even have their jobs anymore. It takes 10 minutes to explain to them what would take 15 seconds to a lot of other, younger people. Even though they have more experience than a 28 year old, I'd rather work with someone younger than them for the same job.

Some projects I've been on have been persuaded just as much by 20 somethings as they have been by the 40 or 50 somethings. Most of the people who come up with the cutting edge ideas are not in their late 40s with two decades of experiences anymore, they're the younger recent hires who see the recent paradigm shift in various technologies that the others don't see. I'm not saying everyone who's "old" is like this, but in a lot of tech companies, a good majority of the older folk are not with it. They might understand algorithmic design, software development lifecycles, etc but on average in my opinion they're less likely to support something like an open API or know much of anything about good user experience (which is extremely important these days).

But then again, what do I know. I only work for one of the largest and most profitable tech companies in the world.

It's a good move by Google/Motorola if they follow through with this. They will be attracting the right crowd. One way companies become irrelevant is by not hiring enough new, fresh minds who have a good work ethic and are enthusiastic about their line of work.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:57 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
The "type" of people I know downtown are professionals dedicated to their jobs. If there's some other "type" of person that is important for corporations, it's news to me.
Corporate cultures and demographics are pretty broad. Most of my suburban clients are pretty different than my clients that are based downtown. One in Oakbrook is filled with people that all have families, they all live in the suburbs and chat about their kids soccer practices. To compare, I have a client downtown that is comprised of people, who from an age standpoint are probably the same average, but they tend to be less family and more career oriented, urban etc. Different priorities, different culture.

Last edited by Jandur; 05-04-2012 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 05:56 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Seems like everyone in the Libertyville area has worked for Motorola at some time. Of course with a lower population and not many large employers around, that makes sense. Being convenient to six million people as opposed to 200,000 must be a consideration.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:21 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yeah, it's big news. The company needs new blood, it won't find it in Libertyville.
Comes as no surprise.
How many Google locations are in the suburbs? NONE.

Great news and having a company like Google only helps the image of Chicago.

Wonderful news they have a firm commitment tied to the Chicago area.

Seems this trend is gaining momentum as they finally realize the human capital is not on the fringes of suburbia.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:29 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Comes as no surprise.
isn't Google HQ in Mountain View, CA?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
isn't Google HQ in Mountain View, CA?
Yep, and the vast majority of their data centers are located in suburban or rural locations. They used to have one out past O'Hare, but they consolidated it into a larger one in Iowa. They have some programming and sales staff in urban areas but most employees are in suburban or rural locations.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:56 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
A data center doesn't need much of a staff. It needs a good power connection, room for mechanical cooling, high weight capacity and cheap square footage.

Much different then human capitol.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:15 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Comes as no surprise.

Great news and having a company like Google only helps the image of Chicago.

Wonderful news they have a firm commitment tied to the Chicago area.

Seems this trend is gaining momentum as they finally realize the human capital is not on the fringes of suburbia.
You realize google already has a location downtown with 450 employees right? Just sayin. Its not like they are new to town.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:27 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You realize google already has a location downtown with 450 employees right? Just sayin. Its not like they are new to town.
Yeah I know they are not new to town but it is always a great sign when a huge name like Google signs a long term commitment to be in the city of Chicago.

I am also very happy mobility jobs are staying in Illinois and not leaving for California which would have been up in the air.

From what I have read these two loacation would be seperate but I am not for sure.

Thanks for the information on googles data center I did not realize they had rural locations.

Should have stated the sales staff and creative people, developers ,programmers are in urban areas Like Chicago, NY , San Fran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago