Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:45 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Chi-Turtles MO is pretty clear...people without money have no place in his/her city.

EDIT: maybe they do, just not anywhere near yuppies.
I would rather be a poor person in Lincoln Park than a "yuppie" in a poor neighborhood in Chicago. At least the poor person doesn't have to worry about being raped, robbed, or killed. They have it soooo bad with their free and subsidized housing. Some people who are envious like to use the term "yuppie" as a derogatory word. "Yuppies" at least earn what they have and subsidize all the cities social programs like Section 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:42 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I would rather be a poor person in Lincoln Park than a "yuppie" in a poor neighborhood in Chicago. At least the poor person doesn't have to worry about being raped, robbed, or killed. They have it soooo bad with their free and subsidized housing. Some people who are envious like to use the term "yuppie" as a derogatory word. "Yuppies" at least earn what they have and subsidize all the cities social programs like Section 8.
oh yeah like having your parents pay your way through college why you major
in marketing and get wasted on the weekends,then live with your parents in the suburbs until you find a good job yeah real hard work.

oh and yuppies are moving into poor neighborhoods its called gentrification,been to bronnzeville,southloop or humboldt park lately

Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Bah. What's the big deal? Lincoln Park already has SRO hotels and halfway houses with low-income people living in them, and I can show you where those places are.

I don't think a handful of apartments for working people earning 60 percent of the median income is going to bring down the neighborhood.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:01 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,309 times
Ptug. - such anger. It would appear that you don't want college educated folk living in your neighborhood. Btw - my grdndparents lived in humboldt park - so there grand kids are really ---- just coming home

Old 05-12-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
oh yeah like having your parents pay your way through college why you major
in marketing and get wasted on the weekends,then live with your parents in the suburbs until you find a good job yeah real hard work.

oh and yuppies are moving into poor neighborhoods its called gentrification,been to bronnzeville,southloop or humboldt park lately
Oh. So because your educated and live in a nice neighborhood your parents automatically paid for your college. Thats quite an assumption that is based on nothing but your own opinion. Most "yuppies" that I know in lakeview and lincoln park come from middle class families. I would venture to say that less than 20% of so called yuppies had their parents pay for their education. There's also a lot of people who's parents paid for their education and they dropped out or never made anything of themselves. It just appears that your envious and jealous of others success.

Last edited by jman07; 05-12-2012 at 10:32 AM..

Old 05-12-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Oh. So because your educated and live in a nice neighborhood your parents automatically paid for your college. Thats quite an assumption that is based on nothing but your own opinion. Most "yuppies" that I know in lakeview and lincoln park come from middle class families. I would venture to say that less than 20% of so called yuppies had their parents pay for their education. There's also a lot of people who's parents paid for their education and they dropped out or never made anything of themselves. It just appears that your envious and jealous of others success.
less than 20% yeah right dude I grew up in a middleclass suburbs and went to a diverse university. The only ppl I saw working there way through college were inner city minorities and poor whites from smalltowns and a few working class bluecollar white kids.

maybe the buppies(blk yuppies) work through college. but I assure the kids from napperville,evanston, buffalo grove did not. There parents paid or heavily subsidized their education,and they move in with their parents after graduation.
you can look up the stats on who uses financial aid by demographics at the fafsa website its not my opinion its fact.

about 70% of ppl who live in lincoln park had there lifestyle handed to them on a silver platter.,which there is nothing wrong with(thats what parents should do) but they have no right and I mean no right to critique somebodys work ethic.

Now if you are like Bill cosby or Oprah and you came from obscure poverty
then you have a right to criticize,because you have faced the same obstacles

Old 05-12-2012, 12:50 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,707 times
So you're saying all the headlines about the 'Student Loan Crisis' are way overblown because a majority of students have parents that subsidize their educations?

Old 05-12-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
So you're saying all the headlines about the 'Student Loan Crisis' are way overblown because a majority of students have parents that subsidize their educations?
just because you have student loans doesnt mean your parents didnt help you. alot of kids have both,and I said the majority of middle class suburban yuppie not college kids as a whole.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
It appears with this loan thing that many work their way through college after they graduate.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:34 PM

I'm not sure how having your parents pay for your college matters anyways except that your jealous. They still had to make the grades and had to work hard to get where they are at and most likely didn't have to rely on affirmative action programs. These days anyone can get a student loan and tons of grants and scholarships if your unprivileged, so why can't these kids make it? This is America. Anyone can be successful in they are determined enough. Instead of trying to bring others down to your level you should try to get yourself up to theirs, and thank them for funding your social programs while your at it. Chicago would be a dump without the "yuppies."

Big cities like Chicago are sort of unique anyways where it draws the best kids from the best colleges for the best jobs. Go around to the rest of America and you will find a more realistic picture of post college America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago