Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:54 PM

3,485 posts, read 3,105,312 times

Advertisements

Actually, as a driver, I have stopped for people in crosswalks, and literally had road ragey people behind me try to start sh** with me for holding them up. In one instance, as the mother and child I was yeilding to were crossing, some a-hole whipped around me on the right, almost mowing them down. I gladly yield to crosswalks on less crowded/side streets (and am grateful when I am a pedestrian and people do the same), but places like North Avenue, where my fellow drivers are a potential menace, I am less likely to.
My wife makes me very nervous, because she often crosses the street as if she assumes every driver sees her and is willing to stop for her. I get on her case all of the time, but in this one matter, she is very stubborn and irrational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 09:23 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,119,245 times
How many of those drivers cannot read English and are clueless about signs?

I drove in one country where the roads were pothole awful and the drivers worse. They drove like they were at the Indy 500, rarely hit each other and always stopped for pedestrians. Watching four cars meet at the same busy intersection at the same time where there were no stop signs or stop lights was a process strange to behold. It was almost as strange as being panhandled in a liquor store by a 3-year old.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:08 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,871,032 times
Pedestrians also need to look both ways before crossing. (Didn't their mothers tell them that?) I'm amazed at the amount of aggressive jaywalking that I see going on.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Exasperating the issue is how poorly marked many if not most of the crosswalks are around here. A whole lot of 'em are so worn as to be damn near invisible to the driver until they're on top of it.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Exasperating the issue is how poorly marked many if not most of the crosswalks are around here. A whole lot of 'em are so worn as to be damn near invisible to the driver until they're on top of it.
And a couple days ago I damn near nailed a pedestrian who walked right out in front of traffic in a crosswalk as is his legal "right" to do so -- but perhaps it's best not to exercise that "right" while wearing dark clothes at 11pm.

I'm not anti-pedestrian, but I'm sorry, this law is just not very well thought-out.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:57 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,070,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Actually, as a driver, I have stopped for people in crosswalks, and literally had road ragey people behind me try to start sh** with me for holding them up. In one instance, as the mother and child I was yeilding to were crossing, some a-hole whipped around me on the right, almost mowing them down. I gladly yield to crosswalks on less crowded/side streets (and am grateful when I am a pedestrian and people do the same), but places like North Avenue, where my fellow drivers are a potential menace, I am less likely to.
My wife makes me very nervous, because she often crosses the street as if she assumes every driver sees her and is willing to stop for her. I get on her case all of the time, but in this one matter, she is very stubborn and irrational.
OH boy can I relate to this one.
My wife does the same and I will politely remind her of a zipping car

All the while she will tell me pedestrians have the right away.
My reply is always the same

"doesn't matter who has the right of way when your mixed with the cement"

Anyway- I get really pissed off at inpatient drivers not yielding to a pedestrian.
Never fails like the poster mentioned, the driver behind you gets angry and upset and possibly a touch of road rage will set in.

The flipside some walkers could be a little more observant and notice carsare trying to get to point b.

Honestly its amazing more people are not getting hit and killed .
You have to be an observant driver and pay very close attention navigating some city locations.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:02 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,878,431 times
I agree if a pedestrian is in the cross walk or anywhere in the street you have to stop for them. How many of us have not been taught "pedestrians have the right of way"? However I also agree many are now stepping out in the crosswalks agressively exercising this right of way stupidly and forcing cars to stop for them. I agree, hasnt your mother taught you from day one, when you cross the street stop, look both ways and if a car is not coming then cross? I do not think you were taught to step out into the crosswalk even if you see a car coming because they will stop. Stupid. You have to use common sense in both cases, driver and pedestrian.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:24 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,958,373 times
Anybody who just assumes that just because you are in a crosswalk that drivers will stop for you is an idiot! I agree wholeheartedly with sunny and cloudy about this "doesn't matter who has the right of way when you're mixed with the cement." My aunt was killed in on vacation in another state in a crosswalk by some a**hole who whipped around a corner. She commuted to the Loop for years safely.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:06 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,287,771 times
After commuting to the Loop for about a decade I can honestly say I just assume every car is on the verge of running my ass over. I don't even think about it now.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:49 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,664,551 times
I never see any pedestrians try to cross at a crosswalk unless its a light. Doesn't seem to bother anyone to just walk slowly in the middle of the road.
I make no excuses for being a dick and trying to make a turn on red edging up to a pedestrian. The don't walk sign is on or flashing, you don't have the right of way. (I always watch pedestrian lights, it lets me know when the signal is about to change for cars)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago