U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 12,777 times

Advertisements

My lease is up in 2 months and understandably my landlord would like to begin showing my unit to prospective renters. My lease clearly states (as does the Chicago Residence Landlord and Tenant Ordinance) that beginning 60 days prior to the end of the lease the landlord is permitted access to show the unit, provided he gives 48 hours notice.

So far so good, I have no problem accommodating that. But today I get en email stating that he is hereby giving me a blanket notice that he'll be showing my unit between 10am and 8pm until the end of the lease, beginning in 48 hours. I read this as meaning he intends me to be prepared to show my unit at moments notice 10 hours a day for the next 2 months simply because he gave me a 48 hour notice that this was beginning.

The Landlord Tenant Ordinance only says 48 hours notice must be given, and is silent regarding the specificity of such notice. It does mention that the access provided shall be "reasonable".

These seems seems over the line to me. has anyone else run into this with a landlord?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 04:19 PM

1,325 posts, read 3,776,879 times
I've never heard of this. Way over the line in my opinion. I would respond and offer a compromise of 24 hours notice PER showing.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:26 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,435,425 times
Always walk around your apartment naked and scream when they enter. That'll teach him to call first.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:54 PM

6,025 posts, read 14,022,500 times
Tell him he has to, per the CRLTO, that he has to give you 48 hours notice each time he comes in. AFAIK, he can't come and go as he pleases whenever he choose for the next 60 days just b/c he gave you notice now. If your LL has any sort of sense, he'd try to set specific dates for people to come look at the apartment (say, every Wednesday and Saturday between 10-4) so that not only are you not disrupted dozens of times but also so he's not running back and forth from god knows where to do a 5-10 minute apartment showing.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 PM

5,559 posts, read 3,944,534 times
Pertinent paragraph of Chicago Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance:

"Rental of the following dwelling units shall not be governed by this chapter, unless the rental agreement thereof is created to avoid the application of this chapter:

(a) dwelling units in owner-occupied buildings containing six units or less; provided, however, that the provisions of Section 5-12-160 shall apply to every rented dwelling unit in such buildings within the City of Chicago;"

"If the landlord makes an unlawful entry or a lawful entry in an unreasonable manner or makes repeated unreasonable demands for entry otherwise lawful, but which have the effect of harassing the tenant, the tenant may obtain injunctive relief to prevent the recurrence of the conduct, or terminate the rental agreement pursuant to the notice provisions of Section 5-12-110(a). In each case, the tenant may recover an amount equal to not more than one months rent or twice the damage sustained by him, whichever is greater. (Prior code § 193.1-6; Added Council Journal of Proceedings,
September 8, 1986, page 33771; Amend. Council Journal of Proceedings, November 6, 1991, page 7202)"

Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 PM

richrf,
Thanks for pointing me to that. I think I'll inform him that I don't consider his blanket 48 hour notice reasonable and that he needs to inform me prior to each visit. If he pushes back I send him the above portion of the ordinance. I can't imagine the LL risking a months rent to show the place on little notice.

eevee,
The LL wouldn't be disrupted to show my apartments at intermittent times with little to no notice, because in all likelihood it won't be him showing it. It will be a broker with a big list of places available taking a potential tenant from building to building. It is definitely in the LL interest to have as little notice required, as otherwise he is likely to miss out on potential broker showings.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 PM

9,995 posts, read 16,942,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Pertinent paragraph of Chicago Residential Landlord Tenant Ordinance:

"Rental of the following dwelling units shall not be governed by this chapter, unless the rental agreement thereof is created to avoid the application of this chapter:

(a) dwelling units in owner-occupied buildings containing six units or less; provided, however, that the provisions of Section 5-12-160 shall apply to every rented dwelling unit in such buildings within the City of Chicago;"

"If the landlord makes an unlawful entry or a lawful entry in an unreasonable manner or makes repeated unreasonable demands for entry otherwise lawful, but which have the effect of harassing the tenant, the tenant may obtain injunctive relief to prevent the recurrence of the conduct, or terminate the rental agreement pursuant to the notice provisions of Section 5-12-110(a). In each case, the tenant may recover an amount equal to not more than one months rent or twice the damage sustained by him, whichever is greater. (Prior code § 193.1-6; Added Council Journal of Proceedings,
September 8, 1986, page 33771; Amend. Council Journal of Proceedings, November 6, 1991, page 7202)"

Don't get in a dither---

Print the above out and keep copies near your door

Do NOT respond with any more correspondence, you don't have to

Put a chain or bolt on the inside door to prevent "surprise" entries while you're sitting there in your underwear

If the guy come to the door with a prospective tennant, answer the door, and let them in in whatever condition the place is in. You could then say sorry the place is a mess, but if you'd given me some reasonable notice I could have worked with you. Then, shrug, and back to whatever you were doing.

Look, the LL is trying to lease the place, its to HIS benefit, not yours, to show the place in pristine condition. Its no skin off your nose if it doesn't lease.

Also, get a safe or lockbox for any valuables, like money, jewelry, credit cards, passport, etc, so your stuff is secure while you are gone during the day.

However, like I said, do NOT engage in any more correspondence with the LL or he could twist it against you. Just roll along and play his game----he's the one who stands to lose!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 PM

6,025 posts, read 14,022,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavery View Post

eevee,
The LL wouldn't be disrupted to show my apartments at intermittent times with little to no notice, because in all likelihood it won't be him showing it. It will be a broker with a big list of places available taking a potential tenant from building to building. It is definitely in the LL interest to have as little notice required, as otherwise he is likely to miss out on potential broker showings.
Well, in that case, one of my neighbors has a nasty, little, ankle mauler of a Chihuahua who barks whenever someone comes within 10ft of the door and whose bark sounds like a shrill woman shrieking bloody murder, and I'm sure they could be persuaded to letting you borrow him for a bit. The torn out Achilles heels should be enough on an incentive to give you a proper heads' up before entering

In all serious, just inform the landlord and inform the broker as I would hope they wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of the law

Old 05-09-2012, 09:14 PM

38,703 posts, read 92,481,953 times
This is the practical equivalent of being given 48 hours' notice every day for the next 60 days. It saves your landlord the trouble of having to call/mail you every day and saves you the trouble of having to answer/open the letter every day. So it's above-board, infuriating as it may be.

Ask to be given at least a couple hours' notice by rental agents. Most will call before a showing.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:47 PM

Drover,
I think you're correct that what they are doing is the pratical equivilant of giving 48 hours notice everyday for the next 60 days. And in reality that's the effect it has.

But what if they literally did give me notice every day for the next 60 that there would be a showing from 10 to 8. And as it would most likely turn out a majority of that time there would be no showing going on. But I would have no way of knowing when a "real" showing was going to occur. I'm forced to assume always.

It seems to me that situation is exactly the kind of thing this language in the Landlord and Tenant Ordinance is intended to stop.

"makes repeated unreasonable demands for entry otherwise lawful, but which have the effect of harassing the tenant, the tenant may obtain injunctive relief"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or