Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:03 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Just got word that we should work from home on Friday and Monday. Main reason is the new thing that people can't carry backpacks on. Well, a lot of commuters carry their laptops in backpacks..so yes. I heard also about a laptop size restriction, but haven't seen that actually anywhere. If they do THAT, then that's the one thing I disagree with for sure.

Chicago's Metra rail service plans strict security during NATO summit: No liquids, backpacks - chicagotribune.com
That article contradicts itself and is very unclear.

"Chicago's Metra commuter rail service is putting strict security measures in place for this month's NATO summit, including barring its thousands of passengers from carrying food, liquids or backpacks... There will be an increased law enforcement presence and K-9 units, and passengers might be subjected to bag checks and extra screening."

So, I can bring a "bag" that "might" be searched but I can't bring a backpack? Isn't a backpack just a bag that I wear on my back? Seems like anything I would have put in my backpack I can put in my bag.

And is this for Metra Electric Line or ALL Metra lines?

FWIW, my building is closed Fri & Mon, we're told to either work from home or take a personal day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
Protesters rush into building housing Obama campaign headquarters - chicagotribune.com

Old 05-14-2012, 01:19 PM

185 posts, read 594,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
That article contradicts itself and is very unclear.

"Chicago's Metra commuter rail service is putting strict security measures in place for this month's NATO summit, including barring its thousands of passengers from carrying food, liquids or backpacks... There will be an increased law enforcement presence and K-9 units, and passengers might be subjected to bag checks and extra screening."

So, I can bring a "bag" that "might" be searched but I can't bring a backpack? Isn't a backpack just a bag that I wear on my back? Seems like anything I would have put in my backpack I can put in my bag.

And is this for Metra Electric Line or ALL Metra lines?

FWIW, my building is closed Fri & Mon, we're told to either work from home or take a personal day.
It is for ALL lines.
The rule is that you are allowed one bag, no bigger than 15" x 15" x 4". They specifically say no backpacks, but I don't know for sure what would happen if you had a backpack smaller than 15 x 15 x 4. It's probably an arbitrary bureaucratic rule, so even if you have a small backpack, don't bring it unless you want to be kicked off the train or even arrested.
Also no food (you can't even pack your lunch in your 15 x 15 x 4 bag) and no liquids in any container bigger than 3 oz.

As I said in other threads, I understand restrictions on Metra Electric that runs underneath McCormick Place, but why the identical restrictions on, for example, the UP North line that runs from Waukegan to Ogilive is harder to understand.

Don't rely on the summaries in the newspapers. Read Metra's web page for all the details here:
Updated: NATO Summit
or read Metra's rider checklist here:
http://metrarail.com/content/dam/met...ChecklistF.pdf

Old 05-14-2012, 02:20 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
The 15" rule is stupid. What if I have a big laptop I use for work and commute with it? My laptop bag is 15 or 15.5 inches wide.. Then I can't go to work or have to leave it at work? Also you can have a bag but not a backpack? As someone already pointed out..isn't a backpack a type of bag? It's just a bag with straps and stuff on it. That means I can carry on a duffel bag but not a backpack? L-O-L. THAT is the one thing I disagree with. Very dumb.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:38 PM

77 posts, read 160,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I think this whole thing is being a bit overblown. We'll see though.
I'm probably going to it and my thinking is that the everyday news story about this thing is a ploy to arrest people and keep military-like order. it's all about images nowadays, the image of a huge circus of an event with bombs and anarchy is already implanted in the public's mind regardless of reality.

hell, in most countries the conservative right would be protesting NATO. ya'll should feel lucky that there is little radical spirit left in america, i guess. old farts.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temp2290 View Post
I'm probably going to it and my thinking is that the everyday news story about this thing is a ploy to arrest people and keep military-like order. it's all about images nowadays, the image of a huge circus of an event with bombs and anarchy is already implanted in the public's mind regardless of reality.

hell, in most countries the conservative right would be protesting NATO. ya'll should feel lucky that there is little radical spirit left in america, i guess. old farts.
There will be over 2000 journalists from all over the world at this event. This is the exact opposite of what they want to show the rest of the world. Trust me. That would be extremely frivolous.

Not saying there won't be arrests, obviously there will be, but to say it's a ploy to just arrest people? Overseas opinion of the US is not great in many places. This would just make it even worse by showing cops overreacting.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-14-2012 at 08:01 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,870,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The 15" rule is stupid. What if I have a big laptop I use for work and commute with it? My laptop bag is 15 or 15.5 inches wide.. Then I can't go to work or have to leave it at work? Also you can have a bag but not a backpack? As someone already pointed out..isn't a backpack a type of bag? It's just a bag with straps and stuff on it. That means I can carry on a duffel bag but not a backpack? L-O-L. THAT is the one thing I disagree with. Very dumb.
Security Officer: "No bags over 15" x 15" x 4"... security reasons, folks!"
Person with Paper Bag: "No worries here! My little bag is smaller than that."
SO: "Good. You wouldn't believe how many people are trying to bring on larger bags."
PwPB: "What a bunch of goofs."
SO: "I know!"
PwPB: "I managed to get all my C4 inside this one, I don't know why people are trying to get more on than the job calls for."
SO: " ... ..."

Security theater at it's finest?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:05 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Stay home if you can and enjoy a four day vacation.
I rode the bus to the L to get to work today and a neighbor of mine was on the bus at the same time. He told me his company was closing its offices Friday and Monday. And it was requiring employees to charge those two days to personal time ... and further told them that they had to make up the time during the next two weeks. So, while they're getting 4 days off in a row, there's a price to pay for it.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 PM

191 posts, read 361,147 times
I work in the Sears Tower & we'll be operating as usual this entire weekend. I even picked up (well, it hasn'thas been approved but HEY!) someone's shift on Monday. All this NATO stuff has me semi-excited, to be honest.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:07 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Seems to me the law enforcement agencies are picking up a little on the anxiety of people.

WGN has had several high ranking officials speak about security measures during the summit.

As usual it seems the media is playing right into the devils symphony with the summit.

It would be very interesting if one of the posters worked in building security.

I am sure they are very informed from all agencies.

I keep hearing of the people off work during the summit but what about the people who are working???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago