Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:16 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,141 times

Advertisements

they are def speed limited to a lower speed than 75
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 06:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^Is the speed limit not 55 for trucks/buses on 55 anymore? I do think i recall hearing those restrictions were taken out, but I know that used to be the case.
The car/truck&bus speed limit differential has been eliminated; buses, trucks, cars with trailers, etc., can now travel at whatever speed the rest of traffic can.

I don't think 65 is an unreasonable speed for buses. Sometimes sh*t happens. I doubt the CoG is much higher on a double-decker bus than a conventional bus anyway. For one they're not that much taller (they achieve this by sacrificing overhead room on the first level); for another, the mechanicals that comprise a large bulk of the weight are situated pretty low down.

I think one of them double-decker buses would make a great platform for a custom two-story RV.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:48 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,141 times
That may be the legal limit but that doesn't mean the fleet doesn't have speed limitations on the vehicle.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:00 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times
Someone was killed by a megabus today.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Right by my office. It'd be nice to actually see the city actually enforce traffic flow in that area - maybe now they will.

It'd also be nice to actually see them build the bus terminal they've been promising for years now a block from there, which would reduce the chaos causes by the buses in the area.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,740,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
What happened? Was a pedestrian run over or something?

Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
What happened? Was a pedestrian run over or something?
From what I read, it sounds like an elderly woman was clipped in the head by the bus's mirrors as it was turning. Not sure who was in the wrong, but IIRC, the woman had the last few seconds of the "walk" sign, so it's possible that the bus rushed the turn the second his light turned green and didn't see the woman on his left or he turned on a red and didn't see her on his right.

ETA: according to the Trib, the driver was cited for not yielding to a pedestrian in the crosswalk. Really sounds like the driver was trying to turn on a red and didn't notice the poor woman in the crosswalk.

Last edited by eevee; 08-08-2012 at 10:43 AM..

Old 08-08-2012, 11:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
From what I read, it sounds like an elderly woman was clipped in the head by the bus's mirrors as it was turning. Not sure who was in the wrong, but IIRC, the woman had the last few seconds of the "walk" sign, so it's possible that the bus rushed the turn the second his light turned green and didn't see the woman on his left or he turned on a red and didn't see her on his right.

ETA: according to the Trib, the driver was cited for not yielding to a pedestrian in the crosswalk. Really sounds like the driver was trying to turn on a red and didn't notice the poor woman in the crosswalk.
Without knowing the facts of this particular case, I will say the police in this town are very eager to issue "failure to yield" citations whenever a pedestrian is hit, even when it's roughly 100% the pedestrian's fault. If you're driving down the street and some kid sprints out from between parked cars right in front of you, chances are you'll still get a ticket.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:41 AM

183 posts, read 338,769 times
Default Megabus is probably exceeding weight limitations

Megabus investigations prompt federal tire bulletin - chicagotribune.com

The article says that double decker buses like Megabus uses can easily exceed the maximum weight limit for tires and that when such buses are fully loaded tire pressure should be tested and adjusted. Megabus' curb side city street loading is not equipped for this kind of safety check. Doubt I'll be riding any double decker megabus in the future. The bottom line seems to be that this low cost carrier is cramming the max number of people on the bus to recover low ticket cost, and maybe compromising safety to do so.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:35 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
^Very interesting/concerning. Thank you for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago