Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 12:37 AM

4 posts, read 5,621 times

Advertisements

I am planning to take a studio at North Sheridan road and my office is nearby Sears Tower (downtown). So, will #147 bus express one is best suited for me ? I don't want to give more that 20 min. to daily commute.

I dont think RED line will take less than 20 min or does it ? Some suggestions will help me considering few places where I can look for a studio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:55 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,568,014 times
north sheridan is vague and the 147 is more for people who work off Michigan drive and down towards the museum campus. It takes me 12 minutes to get from Foster/Sheridan to the Mag Mile on the 147 but once it hits Michigan it becomes a slow go.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,126,530 times
Where on Sheridan? 20 minutes to get anywhere near Sheridan to the Sears Tower is totally pushing it. Once you hit downtown on the express buses you're going to have to get to the other side of downtown for your building. I'd say do the 134 or 135 depending on where you're talking on North Sheridan. That will take you down Wacker and then LaSalle, but just the part from Wacker to LaSalle to the Sears Tower will be 20 minutes if it isn't all backed up.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 AM

209 posts, read 588,770 times
If you plan on living anywhere where the 147 is an option, you will never get to the Sears Tower in 20 minutes, whether you take the train or the bus. The problem with the 147 is that from Foster to Oak Street is about 5 miles that the bus can cover in 10 minutes, even in rush hour traffic, because it's all on a freeway. But the bus has to cover another mile on Michigan Ave. (and partly on State Street on its return north). This part of the journey alone can take 20 minutes or more during rush hour. And you'd still have to do some walking once you get downtown or transfer to another bus because the 147 doesn't stop near the Sears Tower.

Taking the Red Line will probably take around 45 minutes, when you add in wait time and walk time. The Red Line is a little over 1/4 mile from the Sears Tower, so you'd be walking on that end too. You could avoid the walk by switching from the Red Line to the Brown or Purple Line at Belmont. These lines stop closer to Sears Tower, but they also take longer to get there, so you wouldn't necessarily end up saving time.

So the upshot here is that you either need to give up on your dream of a 20-minute commute, or live in an area where that is possible. My suggestions for a 20-minute commute would be Loop, South Loop, West Loop, Streeterville, Gold Coast, River North/River West, Pilsen, and Wicker Park.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 AM

Sorry for not printing the correct address:

My studio is at 5630 Nroth Sheridan and my office location is : 311 S Wacker Dr # 63, Chicago, IL

So, could you guys suggest some neighborhood which is okay to live and I can easily find a studio out there ?

Old 05-15-2012, 09:43 AM

209 posts, read 588,770 times
See my post above. There are plenty of studios in the areas I listed, but they're going to be a lot more expensive than in Edgewater, which is where 5630 North Sheridan is.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:12 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,622,969 times
I would take the red line from Bryn Mawr.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:46 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,142,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I would take the red line from Bryn Mawr.
And switch to the Brown at Fullerton if you want to reduce walking.

5600 N Sheridan to 311 S Wacker isn't going to be a short commute. It won't be torturously long, but it won't be short.

Red Bryn Mawr to Brown Quincy will be the fastest between those two points, but it'll still be 35 minutes of train time, not counting walking, and you'll likely be standing a good portion of the ride.

The easiest commute would probably be to take the 136 bus, which will deliver you to a block away from the office but will require no transfers and you have a good chance of getting a seat the whole way. But that'd be about 55 minutes including walking. The good thing is you could read the whole way, or even nap if you're good at sleeping on buses.

As far as where to live, the obvious question is how much do you want to pay in rent?

If you want to be within 20 minutes of 311 S Wacker, and you can only pay around $650/month in rent, you might find something in the Tri-Taylor area, or east Pilsen. You might also consider Logan Square near the California, Logan Square or Belmont Blue Line stops. Those should at least get you less than a 30 minute commute (you'd use the Congress stop at the office end of things), and you can probably find *something* in your price range.

Otherwise, get a roommate and you can live in a lot more areas.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 PM

I will try to find some studios near by these regions :

Loop, South Loop, West Loop, Streeterville, Gold Coast, River North/River West, Pilsen, and Wicker Park

Actually I own a car, for which I also have to pay parking around 125$ per month. So, if a studio cost me around 750 $ (including bills, heat, comcast etc.), total comes to be around ~ 900$ which is the max limit for me. So, considering this 900$ figure, should I target my search to some specific areas only ?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:54 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,055,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkc12uec View Post
I will try to find some studios near by these regions :

Loop, South Loop, West Loop, Streeterville, Gold Coast, River North/River West, Pilsen, and Wicker Park

Actually I own a car, for which I also have to pay parking around 125$ per month. So, if a studio cost me around 750 $ (including bills, heat, comcast etc.), total comes to be around ~ 900$ which is the max limit for me. So, considering this 900$ figure, should I target my search to some specific areas only ?
It's going to be tough to get within 20 minutes of the Sears Tower on that budget. There are some studios in Gold Coast or Old Town for $700 or so. I'm not sure where you'll get parking that cheap though. Generally spots seem to go for $200~ or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: