Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Guys View Post
I think a fullsize minivan is unnecessary until you have three kids, at which time its absolutely essential. I don't know of many three kid households in the city.
I know 3 kid families in Chicago. A mini van isn't necessary with three kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 02:01 PM

93 posts, read 443,833 times
I should clarify - if you have three kids in car seats, especially if two or more are rear facing. The three row SUVs are doable, but a minivan is much easier.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Guys View Post
I should clarify - if you have three kids in car seats, especially if two or more are rear facing. The three row SUVs are doable, but a minivan is much easier.
I forgot about infant car seats. Luckily they don't last long.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I forgot about infant car seats. Luckily they don't last long.
The child car seat is equally as large (if not bigger) than an infant car seat, and there are few cars large enough to hold three of them in the back seat. The recommendation is to have your kid in them until at least 50 lbs, so that's several years for most kids.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
The child car seat is equally as large (if not bigger) than an infant car seat, and there are few cars large enough to hold three of them in the back seat. The recommendation is to have your kid in them until at least 50 lbs, so that's several years for most kids.
Infant seats seemed to take up more space. Just my recollection.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:40 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Back in the 70's, my sister had three young ones in car seats. She had to get a Crown Victoria to be able to fit the seats into the car. It was the only car that fit. And cars have all been downsized since then.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:56 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
I "tested" about 12 different sedans, pick-ups, etc to see if we could get our three car seats into the car as we have three kids within a very small range of years. In the end we ended up with our minivan, and it is super convenient for us, although I wouldn't call it particularly cool.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:41 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I've driven station wagons and I always feel like I'm barely in control of them. I'm sure they have great crash safety records, but somehow I'd rather have the control necessary to avoid a collusion to begin with.

Opel Ascona Voyage, circa when I was a kid

Prior to that one, we had the Kadett:
The key is to buy a GOOD station wagon

I rode in both of those cars growing up, and they really weren't that good (although better than an Austin Allegro, the worst car I ever had to deal with). The benefit of station wagons is that they're build on sedan platforms, and the size and handling roughly matches whichever sedan platform it's based on (vs. SUVs based on truck platforms). Minivans are also generally based on sedan platforms, but they're built to be taller than sedans so they get a little tippy, and the handling suffers. We currently have a Volvo XC and it handles pretty well, especially in snow. I've gotten it up to 130 or so a few times and it cruised along without any problems.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I know 3 kid families in Chicago. A mini van isn't necessary with three kids.
I think it kinda depends on how old they are. I have to imagine trying to squeeze 3 child seats across the back of a standard sedan, or 2 child seats and a booster or whatever, would be quite a challenge. 3 kids older than grade school... then yeah, a minivan isn't necessary. But probably still nice.

ETA: I guess others covered this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
When I was a kid we always had small (European-sized, specifically Opel) station wagons. They were always plenty big for three energetic boys and two parents, so I'm always kinda perplexed at the love of station wagons. I've driven station wagons and I always feel like I'm barely in control of them. I'm sure they have great crash safety records, but somehow I'd rather have the control necessary to avoid a collusion to begin with.
I love the utility of station wagons without the weight and size of a minivan or SUV, and if you can find a high-performance wagon, the stealth factor is unbeatable. Even without kids I had a WRX in wagon guise. Unfortunately Americans just don't do station wagons so it's getting very difficult to find high-performance wagons here any more. I think you can still get BMW wagons but not in their high performance trim. Audi stopped importing theirs, I think Mercedes did as well, the WRX went from a wagon to a hatchback, Subaru stopped offering its turbo Outback with a manual... that pretty much leaves the Cadillac CTS-V wagon.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
... In the end we ended up with our minivan, and it is super convenient for us, although I wouldn't call it particularly cool.
LOL, no, unfortunately you can't look cool driving a mini van. But at some point / age I stopped caring abt what is or is not "cool." (I don't own any vehicle FYI)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago