Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:56 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,888,960 times

Advertisements

Cityscapes: Chicago ranks 14th in survey of parks in nation's largest cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 12:34 PM

732 posts, read 2,982,579 times
Seems like we just had this discussion. But some of these cities are apples and oranges. Comparing Sacramento and Virginia Beach with New York and Chicago makes no sense.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepreacherswife View Post
Seems like we just had this discussion. But some of these cities are apples and oranges. Comparing Sacramento and Virginia Beach with New York and Chicago makes no sense.
That's what I was thinking. They should compare the 10 largest cities against each other at best. How many people live in Virginia Beach? Is it a city?
  1. New York, New York (8,175,133)
  2. Los Angeles, California (3,792,621)
  3. Chicago, Illinois (2,695,598)
  4. Houston, Texas (2,099,451)
  5. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1,526,006)
  6. Phoenix, Arizona (1,445,632)
  7. San Antonio, Texas (1,327,407)
  8. San Diego, California (1,307,402)
  9. Dallas, Texas (1,197,816)
  10. San Jose, California (945,942)

Old 05-24-2012, 01:05 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,785,350 times
Disagree, you would have to be blind not to notice the amount of park land in western cities like SF, Portland, SD, Seattle, Sac, etc... or eastern cities like NYC/Boston. Look at a view of Golden Gate Park (and The Presidio for that matter) from the air. These take up massive chunks of SF. Chicago is not bad, but it is not "a park in every neighborhood" type of town.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default Mindset and "time line" mmake a huge difference too

I tend to side with LSSG on this -- the "golden era" of Chicago's parks was probably back before WWII and so many of the western cities have parks that really are much more conducive to both active and contemplative uses.

The weird finances, labor relations and even the political structure of the Chicago Park District all hurt the parks for an extended period. Call it "clout" or racism or whatever but even when Forrest Claypool was doing a ton to refinance bonds, tri bloated payrolls and get some parity in parks for those in run down areas to look something like the lakefront jewels that did not undo the fact that shear sq feet of park land / resident is WAY below many cities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Disagree, you would have to be blind not to notice the amount of park land in western cities like SF, Portland, SD, Seattle, Sac, etc... or eastern cities like NYC/Boston. Look at a view of Golden Gate Park (and The Presidio for that matter) from the air. These take up massive chunks of SF. Chicago is not bad, but it is not "a park in every neighborhood" type of town.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,842,554 times
if i were to choose how chicago differs from other cities, it would be that its flagship parks come in the form of two....not one.

i think that lincoln park (the largest, most beach and harbor oriented, sublime, most sylvan, one filled with most attractions) and grant park (formal, cermonial, festival, front yard, downtown relaitonship, inclusion of millennium park, buckingham fountain, art institute and, by extension, museum campus) both serve in the role of blockbuster parks that stand for the whole city.

Other cities tend to have just one of such parks:

Central (NYC)...although i realize that certain parks in the outer boroughs can be extensive, but are localized
Gold Gate, (SF)
Belle Island (Det)
Forest (StL)
Griffith (LA)
Commons/Pub Gar (Bos)
Balboa (SD)
Fairmont (Phil)

there are also cities without a single signature park

Old 05-25-2012, 04:57 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
True, once you go west beyond the lakefront, there are so few parks. I don't think I ever truly noticed since I always managed to live near some green space, but after reading that article and comparing Chicago's green space to Chicago, I realized that a lot of neighborhoods are lacking. For example, off the top of my head, I can't picture any good sized parks in West Humboldt Park or the West Loop.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:55 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,785,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
True, once you go west beyond the lakefront, there are so few parks. I don't think I ever truly noticed since I always managed to live near some green space, but after reading that article and comparing Chicago's green space to Chicago, I realized that a lot of neighborhoods are lacking. For example, off the top of my head, I can't picture any good sized parks in West Humboldt Park or the West Loop.
The problem gets compounded by the fact that parks sometimes attract unsavory elements, in lesser income areas.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:23 PM

84 posts, read 110,342 times
Virginia Beach is an independent city located in the Hampton Roads metropolitan area of Virginia, on the Atlantic Ocean at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. Although Fairfax County is the most populous jurisdiction in the state of Virginia, Virginia Beach is the most populous city in the state, as well as the 39th largest city in the United States, with a population of 437,994 according to the 2010 Census.[3]

Urban1,212,000Metro1,672,319

Old 05-25-2012, 06:38 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,946,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
That's what I was thinking. They should compare the 10 largest cities against each other at best. How many people live in Virginia Beach? Is it a city?
Actually yes. It's not Chicago, but Virginia Beach is the largest city in Virginia. There's almost 500,000 people living there and somewhere around 1.1-1.2 million in the metro area. Not a small city by any standards. 39th largest city in the US.

It's larger than the following "known" cities: Miami, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Raleigh, Cleveland, New Orleans, Tampa, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Buffalo, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago