Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times

Advertisements

I've never lived on the east coast, but I get the feeling that there is a collective mentality so to speak that even though cities like DC, Boston, etc aren't as big as Chicago, they have the fact that they are a part of the East Coast to boost their images and status. Even though Chicago is probably a better city, it is still part of the midwest and kind of in the middle of the country, so a lot of people would say that this fact alone takes away from the prestige of it. More simply put, are people from the east coast outside of NYC impressed by Chicago?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:57 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I've never lived on the east coast, but I get the feeling that there is a collective mentality so to speak that even though cities like DC, Boston, etc aren't as big as Chicago, they have the fact that they are a part of the East Coast to boost their images and status. Even though Chicago is probably a better city, it is still part of the midwest and kind of in the middle of the country, so a lot of people would say that this fact alone takes away from the prestige of it. More simply put, are people from the east coast outside of NYC impressed by Chicago?
In a word: we really don't care.

I don't mean that as an insult to you. There is nothing wrong with asking. It's just irrelevant.

Now Chicago is very much like New York and Boston. Not because of what others think of them (although in truth those are three cities that people from other cities tend to like for their obvious urban charms).

No, New York, Boston, and Chicago are joined not by what out-of-towners think of them but what they think of themselves.

all three are filled with people passionate about their cities. and that's the beauty of it:

Chicagoans love Chicago. And if some of those out-of-town don't like us, that's their issue, not ours.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:05 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
In a word: we really don't care.

I don't mean that as an insult to you. There is nothing wrong with asking. It's just irrelevant.

Now Chicago is very much like New York and Boston. Not because of what others think of them (although in truth those are three cities that people from other cities tend to like for their obvious urban charms).

No, New York, Boston, and Chicago are joined not by what out-of-towners think of them but what they think of themselves.

all three are filled with people passionate about their cities. and that's the beauty of it:

Chicagoans love Chicago. And if some of those out-of-town don't like us, that's their issue, not ours.
Not all Chicagoans love Chicago. That's very much a generalization.
Some love it. Some hate it. And many are right in the middle.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
1- Massachusetts was one of the 13 original Colonies.

2- Boston was founded in 1630.

3- Chicago was founded 151 years later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: