Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:48 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times

Advertisements

Wrigleyville isn't "loud" during the week. As long as you don't have an apt directly along clark st it won't ever be "loud", so don't worry about that. It's not like martigra or anything. Southport is a nicer more laid back version of Wrigley though. Lakeshore east lacks decent bars, shopping, and parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 11:08 AM

413 posts, read 832,612 times
I'd probably lean towards lincoln park though it would mostly depend on what I found in each neighborhood as they are all pretty good.

I think the advantage of Lincoln park is that its a 5 minute shorter commute and its close to the lake.

My main objection to Southport is the distance from the lake. Too far for daily walks and it adds a lot if you are running. If you are not that familiar with Chicago, the lake is the best thing going so why not live next to it if possible. I think Southport also has many more of the young married types who are a few years older than OP. Lots of strollers in the neighborhood. I see Southport as more of a late 20's neighborhood for those who are ready to move on from Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville.

Lakeview East is boystown. Which is fine but a little different scene. It would be my second choice to Lincoln Park.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:29 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
IMO you should ditch the southport idea. If I were you it would be between Lakeview East and Lincoln Park. My favorite bars are along lincoln ave, which are lions head, maxbar (4am), wise fools, John Barleycorn, etc. If you live in lakeview east you have quick access to the lake. If you like running, you will LOVE running along the lakeshore path. Its beautiful with a nice cool breeze from the lake. Living along the lake will be more expensive than living off the lake, but living off the lake also gives you quicker access to public trans (specifically the L). So here is an easy breakdown for ya:

Lincoln Park
Pros:
Quick access to the "L"
Good bars and young crowd (because of depaul)
Close to the lake depending on where you live
Closer of the two to the beaches (oak street and north ave beach)
Cons:
Expensive in relative terms but well under your budget

Lakeview East
Pros:
Cheaper rent usually
Good bars but mixed crowd. You will see more 30 year olds in lakeview vs. Lincoln Park at the bars.
Close to the lake depending on where you live
Cons:
Further commute to downtown/loop
Not as quick access to the "L" as lincoln park.
Further from the main beaches (oak street and north ave)

I think you should look at Lincoln Park first to see if you find anything you enjoy.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
I think all the choices the OP has brought up are fine. Just an FYI, the Brown line crosses Southport in Lake View.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think all the choices the OP has brought up are fine. Just an FYI, the Brown line crosses Southport in Lake View.
Yes but I was referring only to Lakeview East. IMO living anywhere west of sheffield in lakeview is bleh.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Yes but I was referring only to Lakeview East. IMO living anywhere west of sheffield in lakeview is bleh.
That's fine, my point is Southport has good transit.

The rest is subjective. I prefer Southport to Lake View east.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:19 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
That's fine, my point is Southport has good transit.

The rest is subjective. I prefer Southport to Lake View east.
As do I. But I just turned 27 so I'm super old now.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
As do I. But I just turned 27 so I'm super old now.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:45 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times
I would go with East Lakeview or eastern Lincoln Park. The proximity to the actual park/lake makes all the difference. Also, I like living within 5 minutes walking of a Jewel, Whole Foods, and a Treasure Island. All of that is possible in the right section of East Lakeview.

There is nothing wrong with the Southport Corridor. It is very nice. Bottom line is you won't make a mistake in any case. good luck with your move.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:35 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Within Lakeview, west of Sheffleld (including the Southport corridor) is the most affluent, quietest, and most "mature" part. Lots of baby strollers. I love it. But I'm not 25 and I'm not much of a runner. Walk around both areas and decide for yourself; all of Lakeview and Lincoln Park are desirable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago