Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Chicago build a multi-purpose roofed stadium?
Yes 12 37.50%
No 20 62.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:07 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
What if we are? I don't give a damn.
That's what I love about Chicagoans......short, and to the point!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:08 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
Agree with many of these points, but remember that I am envisioning a venue which would be an absolute sports/entertainment magnet, not just a football stadium. If Indy, Minneapolis, and Detroit are hosting these mega events, shouldn't Chicago want a piece of that action? It's an Alpha plus city.....one of the most important places in America, if not the world......I just think it would be incredible to see a joint like that and the buzz it would create in Chi-town.
Well Indy did a fantastic job with the Super Bowl. Heck the Media/NFL/Even Roger Goodell praised Indy for a great Super Bowl.
There is calls for another Super Bowl bid for Indy later this decade and Mr. Jim Irsay would support it
Lucas Oil Stadium also is bigger than Soldier Field and is enclosed. Capacity can be raised to 70k for the event and the NFL likes the revenue. The Payoff though for the Super Bowl in Indy is everything is downtown so there is no shuttling people to other parts of the metro to get entertainment. Plus the NFL Experience set records during the 10 day Super Bowl festivites and the Super Bowl Village was busier than the Mag Mile and Michigan Avenue lol. 1,300,000 people visited it during the 10 days and Downtown was shut down due to all the people from Cincy/Chicago/St Louis/Detroit etc.
Soldier Field though would be to expensive to put a roof over so Chicago can just come to Indy for Super Bowl fun
Not to mention Taxpayers dont want to pay for it either.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Well Indy did a fantastic job with the Super Bowl. Heck the Media/NFL/Even Roger Goodell praised Indy for a great Super Bowl.
There is calls for another Super Bowl bid for Indy later this decade and Mr. Jim Irsay would support it
Lucas Oil Stadium also is bigger than Soldier Field and is enclosed. Capacity can be raised to 70k for the event and the NFL likes the revenue. The Payoff though for the Super Bowl in Indy is everything is downtown so there is no shuttling people to other parts of the metro to get entertainment. Plus the NFL Experience set records during the 10 day Super Bowl festivites and the Super Bowl Village was busier than the Mag Mile and Michigan Avenue lol. 1,300,000 people visited it during the 10 days and Downtown was shut down due to all the people from Cincy/Chicago/St Louis/Detroit etc.
Soldier Field though would be to expensive to put a roof over so Chicago can just come to Indy for Super Bowl fun
Not to mention Taxpayers dont want to pay for it either.
1.2 million hoosiers and 100K out of towners maybe.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:11 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,849,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I'm sure the Bears organization probably does want one (a brand-new, enclosed stadium). But the City of Chicago is happy with Soldier Field and would never support the Bears leaving Soldier Field to go to another venue, even if that venue were in the city. Which means the Bears would have to do it without any support from the City, and probably little support from the State. Which means the Bears would have to come up off the billion dollars it would take, out of their own pockets. Which ain't gonna happen.
Exactly. The time to plan a domed stadium was back in the 90s when the rebuilt Soldier Field was on the drawing board. That ship has sailed already - Chicago has its new football stadium and its small, outdoors and silly-looking.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:33 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Chicago is a sports town, which is why we don't have domed stadiums. Real sports are played outside. If it's inside, it's just entertainment.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, the greatest sporting event in the history of sporting events... The Chicago Marathon!"

Other Real Sports played outside:

-(Bean) Bag Toss
-Beer Pong
-Horse Shoes
-Bowling (I've seen it played outside!)
-Hop Scotch
-Tag
-Bum Fights

Okay, enough of me being a smart A------------.

I don't like the, "We don't want the elements to decide the game" mentality that it has towards the Super Bowl.

I don't like it because if they were *truly* serious about it, they would have all the playoff games (including Wildcard) played at a neutral warm weather site, or a domed stadium, where the "elements" are a very small factor in play.

The weather is just something people have to contend with and push through. It is random and unpredictable. Much like injuries.

Would anyone think to postpone the Super Bowl if one (or both) of the contenders had star players injured in the playoffs (or earlier in the season)?

No! That's laughable. S------- happens, and you deal with it.

There is no reason why Chicago couldn't host a Super Bowl. If playing outdoors in the (random) weather for a Wildcard, Division, or Conference title is good enough to decide who gets to compete in the Super Bowl, why can't the Super Bowl be a game where a "S------- happens... Deal with it" mentality remains?

At least in Chicago, Super Bowl attendees don't have to leave the city, let alone the state, to go to the game.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
I love outdoor football, don't get me wrong, but a city like Chicago really should have something in the mold of Ford Field/Lucas Oil Stadium in this day & age. Chicago would be such an excellent host for events such as the Super Bowl, Final Four, etc., not to mention countless Big 10 events and other massive entertainment ventures. I'm sure this has probably been discussed before, but the premise of the thread is that I'm just amazed a world class city and first rate sports town like Chicago doesn't have a multi purpose roofed stadium. I know they don't NEED one, but why wouldn't they WANT one?
I agree, although it would cost a ton of money. Yes, sure everything is better outside, but the Bears are extremely lucky that people will come and watch them in 15 degree weather. Retractable roofs are a good thing because as you've pointed out, it is more possible to maximize revenues gained through it in a climate such as Chicago if the demand is there in the first place at least.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:07 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Chicago is a sports town, which is why we don't have domed stadiums. Real sports are played outside. If it's inside, it's just entertainment.
Once you have spectators paying money to watch a sport, it becomes both sports and entertainment regardless of where it's being played. I don't understand your point. 99.9% of people at a stadium or arena watching a sport are doing it to be entertained. Even sports bettors are watching partially to be entertained. Other than that...what do you think people do? "OH yeah, the air flow around this object due to the surface area is so intriguing." NO, they are going there to be entertained. It doesn't matter what environment it's being set it. If people are paying to watch it, it's automatically entertainment.

The definition of sport has nothing to do with the environment it's played it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a proponent of sports being outdoors as much as anyone else, but I just don't understand your point at all.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-18-2012 at 12:29 PM..

Old 05-18-2012, 12:26 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
No.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree, although it would cost a ton of money.
Yeah, that was one of the downfalls for the Jets stadium in Manhattan, too. Still, even though NY is technically hosting a SB soon, it just seems weird to me that Chicago and NY - 2 of the richest, most renowned cities in all the world - not to mention 2 of the best sports towns - wouldn't have an indoor stadium capable of hosting the biggest events in sports and entertainment.....especially considering their northern latitude. You just know the NFL, NCAA people, etc., would be all over those venues if they existed. I would think Notre Dame, which many consider a suburban Chicago school, would definitely want to host some huge matchups in a Chicago indoor stadium if it were built.....i.e. the rivalry games vs. USC, Michigan, etc.

At least New York (New Jersey) has Met Life stadium, which is an 82,000 seat gem. Soldier Field? Not only is it too small in capacity, but someone should be flogged for what they did to that place asthetically. That is one hot mess to look at. Chicago could do a LOT better than that. The stadium doesn't stack up to the city.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:30 PM

At least one fairly recent article weighing in on the topic....

Dept. Of Bad Ideas: A Domed Stadium For Bears?: Chicagoist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago