Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:25 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I miss living in Chicago, the city where I grew up. But for every visit I will go to an ordinary bar to have a bottle of Old Style.
I think thats the unofficial name of about 2/3 of the neighborhood bars in Chicago.."Old Style Sign".

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 09:34 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
I think thats the unofficial name of about 2/3 of the neighborhood bars in Chicago.."Old Style Sign".

i've tried to be a good Chicagoan and enjoy Old Style, but the way it makes me feel in the morning is so awful I just can't do it anymore.

my favorite bar is the L&L at Belmont and Clark. nothing fancy but full of good people.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:42 AM

325 posts, read 1,473,443 times
Quote:
I miss living in Chicago, the city where I grew up. But for every visit I will go to an ordinary bar to have a bottle of Old Style. It's nothing special, but Old Style isn't available anywhere else.
I'm with you. In fact, I try to get a bit of the cheese factor and have on at the original Billy Goat tavern. Love going in their and reading all the Kup and Royko stuff making me remember my early years when we got the Sun Times (before Murdoch bought 'em. I remember that my Dad switched to the Trib the day after).

I live in California and had a big Super Bowl party last year. Had pizza, hot dogs and Italian beefs sent from Chicago for the party and really wanted some Old Style (though I profess I'm a beer snob), couldn't get it. Looked at having some Honkers Ale sent out, but the shipping was just too much. I spent too much money on the food!

Old 09-21-2007, 04:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sounds like a resounding THUMBS UP to Hopleaf and The Map Room.

Good ideas guys, keep em coming.

Anyone been to Bud's in St. Charles (off Randall Road)? Last time I was there they had an amazing beer selection. The only problem is that its in a huge sports bar. Just curious if anyone has sampled the beers there and what they thought.
Bud's is the closest thing to a beer bar out that way (Bud's is actually a small chain and there are others in the area) and their bottle selection is pretty good by any standard. But it still doesn't come close in quantity or quality to the top-tier beer bars like the Leaf and the Map Room.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I miss living in Chicago, the city where I grew up. But for every visit I will go to an ordinary bar to have a bottle of Old Style. It's nothing special, but Old Style isn't available anywhere else.
For a good German draft beer I like The Huttenbar in the 4700 block of Lincoln Avenue.
I like Huettenbar, but for German beer selection it is easily eclipsed by Resi's and Laschett's Inn, both about a mile south of Huettenbar on the 2100 block of Irving Park Road.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:08 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I like Huettenbar, but for German beer selection it is easily eclipsed by Resi's and Laschett's Inn, both about a mile south of Huettenbar on the 2100 block of Irving Park Road.
Dong goes the bell in my head! I remember being in Resi several times. Small, but nice and cozy place. I've never been to Lashett's. I've been to many German bars since the 70s, including Cafe Berlin at the corner of Montrose and Lincoln which had a live band and great draft beer. But my favorite hangout was Miko's Hofbrauhaus, right about at Leland and Lincoln. I think he closed up in 1980. Back then, Lincoln Avenue had a lot of German bars and retaurants.
A few years ago I spent much time in neighborhood bars (mostly Polish people) around Cicero and Belmont to Central.
BTW, I drink Old Style because I'm (sniff, sniff) sentimental.
It's Friday night, I'd like to go to Resi's right now!

Old 09-21-2007, 06:36 PM

Fortunately not all of the German places on Lincoln have shut down. Huettenbar is still there (obviously) as is the Chicago Brauhaus right across the street, plus Hansa Clipper a couple doors down. In fact, another one recently opened (Glunz Bavarian Haus). Lincoln Square may not be as German as it one was, but the German elements are not going down without a fight.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:51 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Bud's is the closest thing to a beer bar out that way (Bud's is actually a small chain and there are others in the area) and their bottle selection is pretty good by any standard. But it still doesn't come close in quantity or quality to the top-tier beer bars like the Leaf and the Map Room.
Ill have to make it out to the Map Room sometime, sounds amazing. I always thought Bud's was amazing (when it came to beer---and chilimac), but if its not even comparable to the Map Room, I need to get out more often.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:00 AM

Here's the Map Room's current bottle and tap lists, respectively.

Hop Leaf's current draft (http://www.hopleaf.com/draft_menu.pdf - broken link) and bottle (http://www.hopleaf.com/bottle_menu.pdf - broken link) lists (CAUTION: pdf files).

Old 09-25-2007, 09:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Here's the Map Room's current bottle and tap lists, respectively.

Hop Leaf's current draft (http://www.hopleaf.com/draft_menu.pdf - broken link) and bottle (http://www.hopleaf.com/bottle_menu.pdf - broken link) lists (CAUTION: pdf files).
Dang, your links are blocked here at work. Ill have to check them out at home. Thanks for supplying them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago