Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 05:28 PM

1 posts, read 8,985 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Chicago next year and I keep changing my mind on where I want to live! I want to be part of all the action and kinda be in the heart of everything...but I know that it would be cheaper to be just walking distance from all the commotion.

So, keeping that in mind, I can't decide if I want to live in the South Loop, River North, or Lincoln Park. Which one of these has the most shops, restaurants, and fun things to do? I want a neighborhood that I can just walk out the door & do something.

I've only been to Chicago a few times, and don't actually know how living in these neighbors is different. Any information or stereotypes or opinions are welcome! (: Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 05:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0315 View Post
I'm moving to Chicago next year and I keep changing my mind on where I want to live! I want to be part of all the action and kinda be in the heart of everything...but I know that it would be cheaper to be just walking distance from all the commotion.

So, keeping that in mind, I can't decide if I want to live in the South Loop, River North, or Lincoln Park. Which one of these has the most shops, restaurants, and fun things to do? I want a neighborhood that I can just walk out the door & do something.

I've only been to Chicago a few times, and don't actually know how living in these neighbors is different. Any information or stereotypes or opinions are welcome! (: Thanks in advance!
It depends on what you want to do, your age group, and how much you can afford. I would expand your "search" to Lakeview and Wicker Park. It all depends on what you like in food, bars, entertainment, etc.

There are many areas of town in which you could go outside and be right at the action. I'd shy away from the Loop in all honesty, but Gold Coast, River North, South Loop, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Lincoln Square, parts of Ravenswood, Logan Square, Uptown, Ukrainian Village, Old Town, etc

For young people, I'd say that Lincoln Park, Lakeview, and Wicker Park are the best..Lincoln Square too..UK Village..Old Town...UK Village and Logan Square are up and coming areas I think easily, same as Lincoln Square and Ravenswood. Gold Coast has a lot of older, more established (i.e. rich) people, but there are many young professionals too. River North is a little younger overall, but older people mixed in as well.

Lincoln Park and Lakeview have high rises just like downtown, mostly along the lake and the park.

I am a big fan of Lakeview, even though I live in Gold Coast.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:46 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
River North is going to have the most action, I think.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:49 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
River North is going to have the most action, I think.
River North has a lot of action..I'm here everyday, but IMO that's not true. Lakeview, Wicker Park, and Lincoln Park have just as much if not more action on weekends than River North. There are bars/restaurants everywhere in Lakeview and LP too, just like downtown.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:05 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
I would suggest Lincoln Park or Lakeview and prefer the extreme eastern portions of those two locales as I like being close to the park/lake. Tons of restaurants, shops, coffeehouses. Check out North Clark St from Fullerton to Diversey. Or North Broadway from Diversey north to Addison.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:33 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
I should say that a large part of Chicago has a lot to do within walking distance, pretty far beyond your three neighborhood choices.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
One thing you'll learn quickly upon moving here is that a Chicagoan's perception of what constitutes "downtown" is much smaller than everyone else's perception. "Downtown" pretty much stops at the river. Lincoln Park isn't even remotely considered "downtown."

Your list of neighborhood options is short. There are a lot of neighborhoods that have what you describe, but it would help to pin down recommendations if you could shed some light on such things as your rental budget, where you'll be working, whether you have (or intend to have) a car, and more specifics on your interests. There's lots of things to do in Wrigleyville, and there's lots of things to do in Logan Square, and there's lots of things to do in Andersonville, but the vibe of each is notably different.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:00 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
Bang for your buck, you might lean towards the South Loop. See all those big high rises - a lot of those condos are vastly underwater and the owners will give you a submarket rate. That's why so many students live in these properties.

Plus you'll be close to the Eleven City Diner. Good god is the food there awesome.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0315 View Post

Lucky you! Chicago is a wonderful city. If you want downtown PROPER, I'd go River North, or the West and South Loop districts, whether those count or not. Lincoln Park is nice though its not quite as definitively urban. My favorite neighborhood is Wicker Park, kind of a midwestern (I don't use Midwestern as a detrimental epithet unlike those of east of which) Williamsburg.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Thread is 8 months old; OP hasn't been back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago