Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:05 PM

896 posts, read 1,392,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
A 30 day CTA pass with unlimited ridership is $86. Even without a car payment I don't see how you can own a car for $86 a month with insurance and gas money unless you drive very little and always travel places with free parking, even then I don't see it.

I lived in Forest Park and it only took me about 1min or less to drive to Whole Foods or Jewel or go to shops. I was about 10min walking distance to both. I only spent about $15 a week. I lived only 5min walking distance to my job in Oak Park and my insurance was about 30 dollars a month. If I would have stayed it would been 27.00. I would mostly drive into the city some weekends. It would only cost more when I would have to buy a sticker $25 bucks or an oil change once a year. I only put 3000 miles a year on my car and my parking spot was free. So for me the extra expenses which was not much was worth it, and my car would have only sold for the most 600-800 dollars as my car was old.

To add and a day like yesterday I wished I had car to sit in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 03:09 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
I lived in Forest Park and it only took me about 1min or less to drive to Whole Foods or Jewel or go to shops. I was about 10min walking distance to both. I only spent about $15 a week. I lived only 5min walking distance to my job in Oak Park and my insurance was about 30 dollars a month. If I would have stayed it would been 27.00. I would mostly drive into the city some weekends. It would only cost more when I would have to buy a sticker $25 bucks or an oil change once a year. I only put 3000 miles a year on my car and my parking spot was free. So for me the extra expenses which was not much was worth it, and my car would have only sold for the most 600-800 dollars as my car was old.

To add and a day like yesterday I wished I had car to sit in.
If you own your car, live in an area where the insurance is less, and live in a non high rise area where parking is cheap or even free, it's worth it to keep the car.

I owned my car, but still sold it right before moving to Chicago. Why? I live downtown and parking is $200/month. Wasn't worth it to me as someone who wouldn't be driving their car much. It's weird because even a few of my friends who own their cars and live downtown sold theirs too recently. They could afford it, but sold it anyway.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:10 PM

26 posts, read 93,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Born and raised in Houston for close to 20 years. Moved to Chicago last year.

Houston doesn't compare to Chicago.

Chicago's on another tier.
any specifics? details?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 PM

26 posts, read 93,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
OP, if you've already lived in Florida and are looking for a big change, I wouldn't go to Houston unless you find you simply can't afford Chicago. SE Texas and Florida are much too similar in terms of cities, topography and weather, IMO. Chicago may not be able to stack up to Houston when it comes to COL, but the ol' adage "You get what you pay for" definitely applies here.
I kind of agree with you. I feel that living in a big city like Chicago will be a good move for me at both professional and personal fronts.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 PM

563 posts, read 905,929 times
Ouch! Chicago's murder rate is up 58% this year?

I'm glad I never ended up moving there. Visiting is enough for me. It's a city waiting to explode.

Last edited by MobileDave; 05-29-2012 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 06:27 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Ouch! Chicago's murder rate is up 58% this year?

I'm glad I never ended up moving there. Visiting is enough for me. It's a city waiting to explode.
You've never lived here or visited here have you? Most of the murders (and a lot of crime for that matter) is centralized in certain areas.

Chicago is a big city. It's EXTREMELY naive to think that the entire city or even most of it is murder city. There are many, many, many safe areas which have not seen an increase in violent crime this year.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:50 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,492,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latindude_83 View Post
any specifics? details?
Well, Houston's more of a family town and a business town. It's one of those 9-5 towns where there just isn't much there if you're a young single individual. I feel Chicago is much more vibrant, there's much more to do, and it fits every criteria i've been looking for. Houston's much bigger in terms of area, I think it might be double the metro size actually. Sports, arts, media, the whole culture is different here. Obviously a knock of Chicago can be it's weather (although last winter wasn't bad), but Houston also has it's harsh summers like last summer which was pretty brutal. I think it just comes down to preference. If you're a more urban person, you'll love Chicago. If you're a more suburban person, I think Houston's more suited. I will say though, a lot of Chicago's suburbs are pretty dame nice, at least the ones I've been to. All in all, I just really can't compare it to Houston, I love my hometown but it just doesn't compare to Chicago. I'm having A LOT more fun here than I've ever had in Houston. Might be just be.. that's the only perspective I can give you though.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:07 PM

363 posts, read 662,615 times
Chicago is only second to new York city in vibrancy, things to do, and world class.

This thread is simple...... Chicago>Houston

Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM

14,418 posts, read 22,373,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Chicago is only second to new York city in vibrancy, things to do, and world class.

This thread is simple...... Chicago>Houston
and always remember, I gave you your first rep ever!!

Old 05-30-2012, 05:28 PM

363 posts, read 662,615 times
^^^ thanks. I feel so honored. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago