Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:11 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,379 times

Advertisements

So I am considering moving to an apartment that is near California and Chicago. I am just wondering how safe is the neighborhood? Is there a lot of pedestrian life? I don't have a car, how difficult would it be to move around there? Also I work in downtown. I am very familiar with Chicago but not particualry with this area.

Right now a huge negative for me is it's limited access to the El but if it's also dangerous I am considering not moving there. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,523 times
It sucks.
Well depends.
There's people walking around, but there's no real strip of restuarants, shops, etc.

To the west/northwest you have increasing amount of latinos
To the south, blacks
To the east, white people
It gets better the farther east

Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,945 times
It's not awful, but not great either. Transit access isn't great, and there's not a lot around there (although there are some places nearby like Feed, Darkroom, The Beetle, Rootstock and California Clipper). In my mind it's a perfectly livable area, but is a bit inconvenient for most transit needs and not a huge amount going on in the area. If you can afford to live closer to the Blue Line it would make a downtown commute much easier, if that's the best area you can afford it's generally a safe area.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:37 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
It's not awful, but not great either. Transit access isn't great, and there's not a lot around there (although there are some places nearby like Feed, Darkroom, The Beetle, Rootstock and California Clipper). In my mind it's a perfectly livable area, but is a bit inconvenient for most transit needs and not a huge amount going on in the area. If you can afford to live closer to the Blue Line it would make a downtown commute much easier, if that's the best area you can afford it's generally a safe area.
^My thoughts almost exactly. Depending upon where you work, it might not be that bad, ie, if by Downtown, you mean River North, then you're in great shape. Some of my favorite places to go out were mentioned by Attrill, but they might not be your thing.

The biggest thing I've noticed is that living that far west can be socially isolating. If you're the type who is pretty motivated socially to get out and do things 12 months a year, or if you're the type who likes a lot of alone time, living there isn't an issue. I had a couple friends who did live out that way for a while who basically dropped off the face of the earth though. They wanted to do things, but they were never motivated enough to trek further east to do them. So they wallowed in their lack of motivation eating Tyson's hungry man meals and watching TV.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:11 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,166,512 times
You're a good 15 minute walk west of the heart of the Ukrainian Village. The Chicago Ave bus is pretty frequent, but it's also often even more of a mixed bag than the late night Red Line. I've had some of my oddest CTA experiences in the 66/Chicago bus.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,744,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
I had a couple friends who did live out that way for a while who basically dropped off the face of the earth though. They wanted to do things, but they were never motivated enough to trek further east to do them. So they wallowed in their lack of motivation eating Tyson's hungry man meals and watching TV.

A person can always did what was common with previous generations of Chicagoans; make life in your own neighborhood. Make friends in the neighborhood, sit on the stoop and chat with neighbors, go to the corner tavern rather than trendy ones, eat breakfast at the Greek diner rather than some joint called "Toast", get your pizza from a joint called "Joey's" rather than from some hotsy-totsy "artisan" joint, join the Holy Name Society---you know, just be a relaxed and regular guy rather than a frantic scene chaser. It worked for millions.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
A person can always did what was common with previous generations of Chicagoans; make life in your own neighborhood. Make friends in the neighborhood, sit on the stoop and chat with neighbors, go to the corner tavern rather than trendy ones, eat breakfast at the Greek diner rather than some joint called "Toast", get your pizza from a joint called "Joey's" rather than from some hotsy-totsy "artisan" joint, join the Holy Name Society---you know, just be a relaxed and regular guy rather than a frantic scene chaser. It worked for millions.
Don't know if this is your way of being judgmental or what, but I kind of take offense to that. I (and most of my friends) are not the type to wait in line to get in someplace. I don't pay covers for the pleasure of walking behind a velvet rope. I don't go to places where I need to stand 3 deep around the bar to get a drink because it's "cool". And FWIW, John's Pizza is just great by me.

The point I was trying to make is that often times it was something as simple as game night at a friends place or getting together at a tavern in Ravenswood that requires 2 buses becomes an impedence unless you really, really make an effort. So yeah, make friends with locals, but admit to yourself if you're socially lazy that this likely will pose a problem w/ your established friendships. You may love your friends to death, but if you're lazy and move someplace that requires 2 bus rides (or a long bus+ long train) to get to where they generally are, you might as well be living in Aurora or Merrillville for as often as you'll make an effort to see them. It's a 2-way street too. Your friends should be willing to compromise and come out to see you too.

BTW-the friend I was thinking of specifically who fit this mold was an Asian Atheist raised Jewish. Does the Holy Name Society gladly accept Atheist Jews into its fold?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:19 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,209 times
That area is a lot better than it once was. Basically it's a mixture of hipsters and Hispanics, probably moreso to the hipster side now. All the stuff Atrill mentioned is in walking distance of Chicago & California, and Feed is actually right on that corner. You're also within walking distance of Star Lounge Coffee, Shokolad, Archie's, and the Flying Saucer Cafe over there. As Tom said, make life in your own neighborhood, even though you're going to find much more of the hipster/trendy stuff over there than "Joey's" or "The Holy Name Society".

It's a pretty safe neighborhood that has vastly improved over the last 10-15 years, even though I wouldn't really go west of there because it gets really dicey very quickly.

As far as public transportation goes the #66/Chicago bus runs 24/7, and you're not too horribly far from the #49/Western bus which also runs 24/7. In fact here's the departure/arrival timeline from the CTA website from Chicago/California to Washington/Dearborn at 7:30am on a weekday:

Eastbound #66/Chicago leaves Chicago/California at 7:32am, arriving at Chicago/Milwaukee Ave Blue Line Station at 7:47am. Walk downstairs into the Blue Line Subway. The southbound Blue Line Train leaves Chicago/Milwaukee Ave station at 7:50am, arriving at Washington/Dearborn at 7:56am. Not a horribly bad commute.

I just don't get why some people on this board feel that if you can't spit on an "L" train from your window, and get downtown in less than 15 minutes, that you're basically living in Iowa. No, you're not right on the "L" over there, but you're one bus ride from it. Plus, there is plenty of stuff around there. Heck, you can tell your friends who live further east to come hang out in your neighborhood every so often. You won't be "watching TV, and eating Hungry Man meals" alone unless you choose to. Good luck.

Last edited by Mister Mappy; 05-22-2012 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,945 times
The big problem with commuting from there is getting on the Blue Line at the Chicago/Milwaukee stop at rush hour, the trains are pretty packed by that point and you will regularly have to wait for 2 or three trains before you can fit on one. But like Chicago76 said - if you need to get to River North it's not bad at all, the Chicago or Grand bus will get you there easily. I used to use the Grand bus and then walk from River North to the Loop, it was a lot faster (and more predictable) than trying to get on the Blue Line at Chicago.

You can also head north from there to California/Milwaukee for other places to check out. Revolution Brewing, Cole's, and Boiler Room are right in that area. There are a few new places scheduled to open soon as well.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,129 times
A totally acceptable area if you don't mind a modestly longer commute and are getting a good deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago