Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,670,327 times

Advertisements

Specifically since padmapper.com is forever changed are there any other aggregators that help sort through the noise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:31 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,138,666 times
Settle down a buy so you never have to worry about it again. ;-)

Old 06-25-2012, 07:07 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,540,361 times
Ugh I discovered this yesterday and was definitely bummed out. The idea of laying ads out on a map is great but without CL, it's totally worthless.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:12 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,312,565 times
wait, what's going on with padmapper?

ETA: nevermind, I read the blog post.

Craigslist is becoming ridiculous. FAR too many scams. One of the reasons I liked padmapper was because it weeded out some of the most common scams that never bothered to list specific addresses or even neighborhoods. I'm far more inclined to drop CL from my searches than padmapper and I wish LLs would stop being so reliant on what has basically become a broken site (so many issues w/ CL, too many to go into here).

Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 AM

4,620 posts, read 8,138,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
wait, what's going on with padmapper?

ETA: nevermind, I read the blog post.

Craigslist is becoming ridiculous. FAR too many scams. One of the reasons I liked padmapper was because it weeded out some of the most common scams that never bothered to list specific addresses or even neighborhoods. I'm far more inclined to drop CL from my searches than padmapper and I wish LLs would stop being so reliant on what has basically become a broken site (so many issues w/ CL, too many to go into here).
I've never used Padmapper because I've been a homeowner for longer than they've existed.

But based on the Padmapper blog, I emailed Craigslist and told them I thought they were making yet another mistake in a series of mistakes that have made them less and less relevant and taken them further and further from their original mission. It's sad, really.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:29 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,312,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I've never used Padmapper because I've been a homeowner for longer than they've existed.

But based on the Padmapper blog, I emailed Craigslist and told them I thought they were making yet another mistake in a series of mistakes that have made them less and less relevant and taken them further and further from their original mission. It's sad, really.
It makes no sense because padmapper directly links you to the CL ad. It's not taking business away from CL, it's more accurately directing users to specific CL ads. It's not that much different from a google search pulling up specific ebay auctions.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,826,955 times
I've never used Padmapper..looked like a decent site, but honestly, if you want an apartment, there's TONS of listings on rent.com. Probably the best professional rental site IMO (i.e. apartments, my new place, etc).

Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,191,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I've never used Padmapper..looked like a decent site, but honestly, if you want an apartment, there's TONS of listings on rent.com. Probably the best professional rental site IMO (i.e. apartments, my new place, etc).
I find rent.com to be okay for high-rises and other large "apartment complex" type of things, but for those of us who prefer units in smaller buildings that are often individually owned, I still find craigslist to be the best. The spam is annoying, for sure, but not that hard to wade through, IMO.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:51 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,826,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I find rent.com to be okay for high-rises and other large "apartment complex" type of things, but for those of us who prefer units in smaller buildings that are often individually owned, I still find craigslist to be the best. The spam is annoying, for sure, but not that hard to wade through, IMO.
Yeah, I mean if you want to find something with only 3-7 units, then Rent.com probably won't work, but if you want to find something with 25-30+ units, it's great for that. Plus, there's places giving out $100 reward debit cards if you sign a lease because you found the listing on Rent.

Craigslist has some good stuff, but yeah it's hard to filter out the noise sometimes of course.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,237,941 times
I just finished reading the blog posting; It is indeed a big blow for both companies. I actually found my current (and most favorite I've ever had) apartment using the tools padmapper provided.

I'm faced with the prospect of moving again soon, and will probably be forced to use the ol' "boots to the ground' method of finding a place. In 2012, that shouldn't have to be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago