Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:53 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,376,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWaterhouse View Post
OK, I'll admit going there. We went on Monday afternoon and witnessed no thuggish behavior. There was also a minimal police presence (though we were a bit north of North ave, right by the pedestrian bridge over LSD.)
Ok this is good to hear, thanks Daniel.

If the city hires more police, boosts the police presence in the gentrifying areas back to the levels they were at before Rahm took office, and gets the crime situations in those areas under control, then I will think about moving back and buying real estate and being there permanently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 12:07 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
Ok this is good to hear, thanks Daniel.

If the city hires more police, boosts the police presence in the gentrifying areas back to the levels they were at before Rahm took office, and gets the crime situations in those areas under control, then I will think about moving back and buying real estate and being there permanently.
I'm in those areas every day, have been for 11 years. There's really no difference crime wise before/after. My BF lives on Buckingham and Halsted. There was some crap about a year ago in that area from late May through early July, but it's been fine since last summer. That's just the areas I'm use to hanging out in though, mostly Irving Park to Diversey and the lake to around Ashland. Except for a small stint a year go through maybe June in Boystown, it's been the same safe areas throughout Lincoln Park, Near North, Lakeview and Buena Park that it's been since I moved in 2001.

The real issues are on the south and west sides. I have to say Uptown just north of me has calmed down overall during the past 9 months or so outside the random acts of crap like that kid at 3am this morning up by Foster.

Went by the beaches multiple times and knew a lot of people that were out there. How were they - PACKED. I don't know why people would drag themselves there when it's that hot out and that busy. No one reported any crime issues or anything outside of maybe a random fight that breaks out when 10,000 people mash together.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:45 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm in those areas every day, have been for 11 years. There's really no difference crime wise before/after. My BF lives on Buckingham and Halsted. There was some crap about a year ago in that area from late May through early July, but it's been fine since last summer. That's just the areas I'm use to hanging out in though, mostly Irving Park to Diversey and the lake to around Ashland. Except for a small stint a year go through maybe June in Boystown, it's been the same safe areas throughout Lincoln Park, Near North, Lakeview and Buena Park that it's been since I moved in 2001.

The real issues are on the south and west sides. I have to say Uptown just north of me has calmed down overall during the past 9 months or so outside the random acts of crap like that kid at 3am this morning up by Foster.

Went by the beaches multiple times and knew a lot of people that were out there. How were they - PACKED. I don't know why people would drag themselves there when it's that hot out and that busy. No one reported any crime issues or anything outside of maybe a random fight that breaks out when 10,000 people mash together.
Why was a 13 year old boy in a pizza shop at 3AM?

Old 05-29-2012, 01:09 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,921,010 times
Quote:
"Urban Beach Weekend" is ruining everyone's enjoyment of the beach.
What does that even mean? It was a weekend on a beach in the city. That's an "urban beach weekend" by definition. Unless that term has another meaning, that's like saying Christmas ruined everyone's enjoyment of Christmas.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
If you gotta eat, you gotta eat.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
If you gotta eat, you gotta eat.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:44 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,224,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Why was a 13 year old boy in a pizza shop at 3AM?
No doubt that kid should be home in bed or playing some video games but he doesn't deserve to be murdered because he shouldn't be out at that time.

As someone who doesn't live in the city any longer but still spends quite a bit of time there on the weekends, it just seems like random acts of violence have been spilling into the nicer/safer areas more frequently over the last few years. I have absolutely nothing to back this statement up with.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
No doubt that kid should be home in bed or playing some video games but he doesn't deserve to be murdered because he shouldn't be out at that time.

As someone who doesn't live in the city any longer but still spends quite a bit of time there on the weekends, it just seems like random acts of violence have been spilling into the nicer/safer areas more frequently over the last few years. I have absolutely nothing to back this statement up with.
I'm virtually certain the kid is a gang member. Doesn't mean he should be killed of course.

To me, it seems like the good neighborhoods are getting better, not so much the bad ones.

This is the first homicide in Uptown this year. I think there were five last year in total.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:21 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,063,241 times
Quote:
Nice try at an underhanded jab at me, pal. No wonder people are leaving Chicago in droves; who would want to hang out with people who have an attitude like yours?

BTW I dont live in surburban dallas, I live in Uptown, which is their version of Lincoln park/lakeview...just without the high cost of living, state income taxes, flash mobs, mentally ill panhandlers, or hostile "urban youth" beating up gays on halsted street.
Uptown = downtown Naperville. Just sayin.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Nice try at an underhanded jab at me, pal. No wonder people are leaving Chicago in droves; who would want to hang out with people who have an attitude like yours?
Me. I could hang with Diddy, I like smartass, streetwise people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago