Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 03:49 PM

306 posts, read 701,590 times

Advertisements

If I leave the car behind, how much does a nice, clean one-bedroom apartment in Chicago go for? Like what sort of range? With laundry on-site and maybe hard wood floors? Tiny is fine since I won't have any furniture. I am paying $1450 for a one-bedroom in Somerville MA that has parking, laundry, dishwasher, hardwood floors, but it does have a second small room previous tenants used as a small bedroom. I probably could've found a place a bit cheaper, but it also would've been a bit dumpier. I haven't received an offer for this job yet and want to have a ballpark on salary requirements to live comfortably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 03:52 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
You can definitely find a very nice 1 BD for the same price in a great neighborhood.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffincake View Post
If I leave the car behind, how much does a nice, clean one-bedroom apartment in Chicago go for? Like what sort of range? With laundry on-site and maybe hard wood floors? Tiny is fine since I won't have any furniture. I am paying $1450 for a one-bedroom in Somerville MA that has parking, laundry, dishwasher, hardwood floors, but it does have a second small room previous tenants used as a small bedroom. I probably could've found a place a bit cheaper, but it also would've been a bit dumpier. I haven't received an offer for this job yet and want to have a ballpark on salary requirements to live comfortably.
It depends on where you live and what you define as nice. I rent a 1 bedroom, something like 600 square foot on a high up floor with a nice skyline view in a high rise in the Gold Coast for a little over $1300/month....Parking isn't included in that (an extra $200/month for that), but I do have a gym and laundry on site, and 24 hour door staff/security. I have two bus stops pretty much infront of my door, a red line train stop less than a block away, a grocery store right near by, restaurants, etc.

If you wanted to live in Lincoln Park, you could probably get a 1 bedroom for something like $1100/month? Lakeview is a little less, etc. There are of course expensive places in each, but the average varies from neighborhood to neighborhood. Lincoln Park and Lakeview, those types of areas on average have older buildings, but many buildings sometimes look old on the outside and are completely remodeled on the inside. It really depends. There are also buildings in a ton of neighborhoods which appears to be old construction, but if you look closely they are actually new and very nice.

Point in case, for what you're paying in Boston, you could find a 1 bedroom for that amount of money in pretty much any neighborhood in Chicago. Not every building, but probably every neighborhood, but the more 'downtown' ones will probably charge you more for parking...whereas Lakeview, Lincoln Park, etc you could probably get street parking for cheap, if your apartment doesn't happen to have a little private lot or something.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:31 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
If you want hardwood floors, you're probably looking at vintage walk-up. Most at least have laundry in the basement. If you find a rental in a condo building, they are often fully remodeled with w/d in unit. I read somewhere once that early 20th century middle class housing was the best in the world and there really are some very nice apartments in vintage buildings.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:52 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
If you want hardwood floors, you're probably looking at vintage walk-up. Most at least have laundry in the basement. If you find a rental in a condo building, they are often fully remodeled with w/d in unit. I read somewhere once that early 20th century middle class housing was the best in the world and there really are some very nice apartments in vintage buildings.
This is pretty true. Although I have a friend about 3 blocks north of me (Gold Coast) and the building is vintage and every unit has wood floors. It's a high rise as well (20 stories I believe).

Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
My son has lived in various neighborhoods in the city. Parking in Lakeview especially anywhere near the lakefront or Wrigley is hideous. He lives now in Logan Square and parking is pretty easy. If you stay near the boulevard (Logan Boulevard) you can go to the blue line stop and take the L in. You can keep your car on the street. Sometimes you can find a nearby landlord that will rent a garage but its expensive. If you have free street parking then all you have to worry about is street cleaning and snow routes. Do not leave anything in your car as car break ins occur all the time.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
I hate driving in Chicago. It is so irritating and it takes forever just to go a few miles. I pay the 86 bucks just to jump on a train or buss. Not to mention it takes you anywhere relatively fast. I live in Andersonville/Ravenswood area and my husband and I own 2 cars from the time we lived in Memphis and Mississippi. We have to move them for street cleaning every week. Pain in the butt! Not to mention, I SUCK at parallel parking..lol.
We are going to get rid of one of them in the next couple of weeks. Sense I moved here I have hardly driven my car for any reason other than moving it during street cleaning. I love not being depended on a car. It takes my husband 45 minutes with the L to get down to his work at the Willis Tower from the time he leaves our apartment in the morning. 45 min door to door is not bad at all.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:17 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,457 times
meh....depends where you live. many times it's not bad at all for me on the NW side of the city.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:32 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,388 times
I'd look in neighborhoods like Lakeview. That's close to downtown - you can take the Red Line and be there in minutes - but Lakeview allows you to park a bit more conveniently than the Loop does. Bucktown and Wicker Park, same thing. Not ideal - those neighborhoods can still get crowded and dicey to park - but think of it as trying to park in Fenway vs. east Brookline.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 AM

413 posts, read 832,675 times
Bucktown, Wicker park, Lakeview and Lincoln park all rely pretty heavily on residential permit parking. Without a permit its probably very difficult to park. OP could easily get a permit but would probably have to change plates to IL to do so.

OP should also look at something like swapalease.com which will allow someone to take over her lease. Also call the dealer. They may give some money for turning in the car early. They can resell the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago