Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:34 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Wow. As someone who didn't live here yet in the 90's (and hadn't even visited), I can't imagine any part of Lakeview being anything but yuppie, let alone anything that close to Wrigley. I wish I could take a time machine to visit.
The original "alternative corridor" in Chicago (at least in my lifetime) was around Belmont and Clark in Lakeview, and it still retains some of that flavor to this day with the Vic Theater and down Clark the Metro, Smart Bar, the Alley, some tattoo parlors, Berlin, all the weird shops around there... though they seem to be slowly dying off and replaced with mall restaurants.

Now you really only see real trendy people down near there for a show. Though there still seems to be a lot of homeless kids who still hang out around there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 06:34 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Wow. As someone who didn't live here yet in the 90's (and hadn't even visited), I can't imagine any part of Lakeview being anything but yuppie, let alone anything that close to Wrigley. I wish I could take a time machine to visit.
I'll put you in one. I lived on the 3800 block of Greenview in the early 1990s, about 3 blocks from the Southport corridor and Music Box. It was not a hipster area. It was already clearly yuppified. There was a Starbucks, a bagel place (trendy in the pre-carb counting era), several nice Irish bars, good restaurants, young families pushing strollers and walking Golden Retrievers. Hipsters hadn't taken off in Chicago yet outside Wicker Park/Bucktown.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I'll put you in one. I lived on the 3800 block of Greenview in the early 1990s, about 3 blocks from the Southport corridor and Music Box. It was not a hipster area. It was already clearly yuppified. There was a Starbucks, a bagel place (trendy in the pre-carb counting era), several nice Irish bars, good restaurants, young families pushing strollers and walking Golden Retrievers. Hipsters hadn't taken off in Chicago yet outside Wicker Park/Bucktown.
I think you're being considerably more strict in your definition of 'hip' than the OP, who doesn't seem to require her/his 'hipster' neighborhood to be thoroughly yuppie-free (as evidenced by the presence of quite a few yuppie establishments in Portland's Hawthorne neighborhood).

Old 06-07-2012, 01:24 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
The original "alternative corridor" in Chicago (at least in my lifetime) was around Belmont and Clark in Lakeview, and it still retains some of that flavor to this day with the Vic Theater and down Clark the Metro, Smart Bar, the Alley, some tattoo parlors, Berlin, all the weird shops around there... though they seem to be slowly dying off and replaced with mall restaurants.

Now you really only see real trendy people down near there for a show. Though there still seems to be a lot of homeless kids who still hang out around there.
Still fascinating to me. I guess I've always been one of those "trendy"(?) people who only goes to that area for shows. (I've only lived in Chicagoland for 6 years.) I have wondered from time to time how those venues ended up catching on in the first place in the middle of yuppieville. Now I know.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:06 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
rent My Bodyguard, it's set in Lake View High School in I think the 79- 81 time. Plus, Matt Dillon is hilarious.

few people believe me, but yes,once upon a time (until maybe 87) living north of Diversey actually carried a stigma to some of the Lincoln Park parents I knew from school. Even in high school I had parents who wouldn't let their kids come visit me in "dangerous Lake View," and I'm talking Racine - Southport and south of Belmont!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:

It moved north up Clark in the 70s and early 80s from what people tell me. Those were my stomping grounds in the 80s (went to college in 89), it does still have some crazy flava, but it comes out pretty late.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Last weekend I was hanging out in front of Revolution Brewing with some friends and saying that Logan Square isn't THAT much of a hipster haven. Then a guy with mutton chops rode up on a unicycle and asked me if I had any rolling papers. True story.
so did you?

that is pretty awesome. what is even exponentially more hipster than riding a unicycle, now *that's* the question...

Old 06-07-2012, 09:25 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
It moved north up Clark in the 70s and early 80s from what people tell me. Those were my stomping grounds in the 80s (went to college in 89), it does still have some crazy flava, but it comes out pretty late.
That makes sense... and I think Old Town was the 'scene' in the 60s.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:31 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
Quote:
That makes sense... and I think Old Town was the 'scene' in the 60s.
My dad, who visited Chicago as an 18 or 19-year-old in the late 60's when that was still legal drinking age, says Rush Street was a happening young people's bar scene then. Looking at that area now I think it must be the same dudes still hanging out there 45 years later.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:18 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
so did you?

that is pretty awesome. what is even exponentially more hipster than riding a unicycle, now *that's* the question...
Sadly I couldn't help the guy out. To be fair, the guy was nice enough. He looked like a total goofball, but other than the fact that he ruined my wonderful drunken rant he was OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago