Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

I always found Wicker Park to be a good place to get a dose of hipster that is something similar to Portland. But you definitely wont find that same mentality that is in Portland. I lived in Portland for the past decade, now live in NYC, but have a love affair with Chicago, which will be my next stop.

The thing that makes Portland so unique is that it is the perfect city to be young and clueless in. I mean that in a good way. What better city to find out who you are and what you want to do in life without having to work hard and getting a hell of a social life out of it, along with lots of drinking. As much as I love Portland, I couldn't even imagine trying to really go full force with my career choices there, but I do love feeling like a young retired person through my 20s.

Chicago is where you move to when you feel like you are ready for a big boy career and you are tired of drinking with 20 somethings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 04:11 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanite3 View Post
I can't thank all of you enough for these helpful posts. All of you have made great points.

Being a newly-single chilled out hipster, I think moving to Chicago is not what I am looking for right now. My entire family lives in the city, but everytime I visit, it's too big and cold for me. It's a great place, and will always feel like home, but the liberal, non-yuppy, friendly, care-free attitudes that people have in Portland (and mostly Seattle) are just unbeatable.
I always felt like both Seattle and Portland also have a lot of yuppies. NW Portland in particular, and Seattle just has a much more corporate feel in general.

That being said, hipsters and yuppies are kind of in the same 'family' of people, in many ways. It would be strange to have a hipster place with no yuppies among them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago