Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:49 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,236,521 times

Advertisements

Ha ha, poor people!! (tongue in cheek.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 06:54 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,358,755 times
There was helpful and (I thought) informative coverage of this story on WBEZ yesterday - here is a link to the 16-minute story, if anyone wants to listen.
CTA plan calls for closure of Red Line's South Side branch

Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 AM

4,620 posts, read 8,136,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmosBanks View Post
They need to either put some whirlwind crews on small sections each weekend or else use a single set of tracks in rolling sections. Conspiracy theories are already spreading and South Siders are not going to take this laying down.
"Conspiracy theories" ... what *******s. Considering the CTA has already talked to and gotten buy-in from South Side aldermen, how is this possibly a conspiracy?

It's a reasonable solution. Reasonable people can say they'd prefer a different one, but it's not exactly out of left field and claiming it's some conspiracy just makes the claimants look nuts. Do I even have to point out that this is getting prioritized ahead of the North Main Red/Purple rehab despite the Dan Ryan branch having half the ridership and being half the age? If there's any conspiracy here, it's that the South Side retains political power far in excess of their current population, which distorts the democratic administration of resources. I'll point out that when the Brown Line stations were shut down, none of the bus replacement routes got discounted fares on the North Side - that's a special accommodation the South Side is getting that the North Side didn't.

The South Side has lost about half a million people over the past 40 years, and there is one dominant reason for that: the loss of the steel and manufacturing industries. Neither of those were caused by City Hall or the North Siders. Neither were caused by the South Siders, either: it was due to the sea change of globalization and while it hurt the South Side more than the North Side, it has hurt the entire city.

Trying to make this into some sort of intentional political slight of the South Side is, frankly, disgustingly divisive.

And, no, I don't think the Red/Purple project, whenever it actually happens, will be done with a full shutdown of the branch. There are reasons for this - first, there isn't another, parallel line less than a mile away for 2/3 of the length like the Green Line. Second, ridership is far higher on the North Side, so it would take a lot more buses. Third, the North Side streets are already more congested, so it would be harder to find the road capacity for all those buses. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if they were to temporarily stop the Purple Line Express service, as that would probably allow them to work all week on at least portions of the branch. In fact, I'd be surprised if they don't suspend express service for at least part of the time unless doing still wouldn't allow work to be expedited.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,889,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
Dang. It'll be hell and chaos when the Sox have home games. I guess in order to gain one has to loose.
It might be if fans would actually, like, go to games. I will never understand Sox fans -- the team is in first place, on an absolute tear, the weather is as good as you could possibly ask for, and there's 15,000 empty seats? C'mon people. Maybe ticket prices need to come down or something?

That aside, there's still the Green Line and Metra stations for game-day access.

Quote:
They need to either put some whirlwind crews on small sections each weekend or else use a single set of tracks in rolling sections. Conspiracy theories are already spreading and South Siders are not going to take this laying down.
For years people have been complaining about the s#*ty condition of the tracks and the delays they cause. So when the CTA announces that quickest and most cost-effective way to correct the situation, people are now complaining about that instead. "South Siders are not going to take this laying down?" So what exactly are they going to do? They'll survive, it's only a few months.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,145,225 times
Quote:
I think you are wrong on this one.

I hope they use continuous rail on the red line, without the joints which cause vibration and noise. As part of the repair process, I hope that the shuttle buses run on an express basis, just like the subway.

Remember, they shut down the green line on the west side for an extended period and folks grumbled but went along.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:59 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,213,607 times
Yeah, no way Rahm didn't have the buy in from all the south side alderman before announcing this.

Don't a lot of Red Line riders on the south branch take buses to the train anyway? Between the Green Line with shuttles, Metra Electric and Rock Island this shouldn't be too big of a mess although I'm sure it will inconvenience a lot of people.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,889,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I think you are wrong on this one.

I hope they use continuous rail on the red line, without the joints which cause vibration and noise. As part of the repair process, I hope that the shuttle buses run on an express basis, just like the subway.

Remember, they shut down the green line on the west side for an extended period and folks grumbled but went along.
The Green Line was shut down for over two years. Five months seems perfectly manageable by comparison.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:35 PM

410 posts, read 631,138 times
IIT stop should be suitable for sox games

Old 06-05-2012, 09:39 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,608,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
I'm sure there are some fatties who will disagree.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,079,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
It was kind of nice having a pleasant green line train instead of being packed into the red line. I was always amazed how many people had no idea it was an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: