Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,823,164 times

Advertisements

If you do the bike-on-train routine, you're going to have to stick to your arrive-early-leave-late schedule; bikes are not allowed on the train during peak hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 04:13 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,071,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Viejo View Post
Thanks for the great responses!

Or maybe I'll just bike the LSD when it's nice out. Anyone know if there are any bad elements to the LSD at the early morning hours or nighttime?
You can't actually bike the LSD, but there is a path along the lakefront.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:38 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,900,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you do the bike-on-train routine, you're going to have to stick to your arrive-early-leave-late schedule; bikes are not allowed on the train during peak hours.
Actually, bikes are allowed on the Metra during rush hours if you are reverse-commuting, which you would be doing. In other words, outbound in the morning and inbound in the evening.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:57 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,134,892 times
Its a great ride from the hospital to the north side. You start down the Midway Plaisance and then directly onto the bike path next to the drive. Make sure your bike has a light -- there are down right spooky areas, particularly behind McCormick place.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:13 PM

190 posts, read 979,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
You can't actually bike the LSD, but there is a path along the lakefront.
I really did mean the bike path along the lake, not the LSD as the majority of it is freeway-like, no?

What about the good ol' regular gridded streets for the bike trip? Say down Michigan Avenue to Garfield Avenue, through Washington Park and arriving at the U of C?

I know, I know. Are you nuts? For a while when I lived in Manhattan and worked in Brooklyn, I biked into work (approximately 20 mile round trip daily) without too many issues early in the morning. Of course, though, I was able to hit gentrified pockets one after another and tried to avoid shady areas as best I could.

Thanks again for all your wonderful responses.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:37 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,613,920 times
Quote:
What about the good ol' regular gridded streets for the bike trip? Say down Michigan Avenue to Garfield Avenue, through Washington Park and arriving at the U of C?
Yeah, that's nuts. Use the lakeshore path. I biked for a year to work from Clybourn and Fullerton to downtown on the streets. I really did enjoy it until some dipwad opened his car door right in front of me and I slammed right into it and sailed over my handlebars. Wrenched the hell out of my shoulder, and that was the end of the bike commute. Realized that all you need is one dipwad to hit you and you're dead. It's really a shame, and I know I'm a wimp for quitting, but it just wasn't worth it. You'll be a lot safer on the LSD path.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,888,973 times
There is a bus that goes from the metra Oglivie station morning and evening rush hours to the U of C. Its the 192. Plenty of suburban and other riders take it to the U of C. So if you could live near a metra line that goes into Ogilvie (aka "Northwestern Station") you could take these express buses to the U of C.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:03 PM

190 posts, read 979,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
There is a bus that goes from the metra Oglivie station morning and evening rush hours to the U of C. Its the 192. Plenty of suburban and other riders take it to the U of C. So if you could live near a metra line that goes into Ogilvie (aka "Northwestern Station") you could take these express buses to the U of C.
That'd be a great route to take if only it ran earlier than 6:30AM. I have to be at the U of C Hospitals by 5:30AM everyday, so the arrival at around 7AM is already well past my start time.

Thanks, but it sounds like a viable option on the return trip home!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:46 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,134,892 times
I bike from downtown to Hyde Park two or three times a week. Believe me, the bike path is much better than city streets and a lot less bumpy. There are water fountains (of a sort) concessions (sorta) and security on the lakefront. Michigan Avenue on the south side is an alternate route for the Dan Ryan (kinda like 2nd Ave in NYC) so there are some speeding cars moving along it.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,823,164 times
Yeah, Michigan Avenue is a race track, at least as far south as 25th street or so. I wouldn't want to ride my bike on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago