Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 09:20 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,664,891 times

Advertisements

When you live for a very long time in a city, you develop those specific tendencies that aren't obvious until you go someplace else for the time being.

This past January I went to see friends in California for a wedding. I'm the only person from "the north", the others are either from Cali or Florida. We arrived and I got off the plane in all black, what small amounts of makeup I had on looked like war paint (it was late January, you know how it gets by that point) and after I don't know how many flights through O'Hare I was elbowing my way through that crowd like a knife through butter. I had my luggage and was commandeering a cab at the top of my voice because, well, I'm used to having to fight for these things.

Everyone else around me was in floral colors with lots of jewelry and makeup. Except for those who had also come from Chicago (and the two New Yorkers, both of which had almost ousted me to the luggage track) I never felt so out of place. Winter claustrophobia, the grim pace of life you have to adopt...

I can look back now and laugh. What are your Chicago moments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 08:25 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,235 times
I once moved to out of state and while driving, when people would let me cut in in front of them, I'd do the "courtesy wave". As I started making friends and driving with locals, they asked me if I knew the people that I was waving at. I said, "No, I'm just waving because they let me merge in.". They never heard of that and thought it was funny. Maybe it's a midwest and/or Chicago thing?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:22 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
I once moved to out of state and while driving, when people would let me cut in in front of them, I'd do the "courtesy wave". As I started making friends and driving with locals, they asked me if I knew the people that I was waving at. I said, "No, I'm just waving because they let me merge in.". They never heard of that and thought it was funny. Maybe it's a midwest and/or Chicago thing?
95% of the drivers that I let in always wave back. And youre right, I dont get that in other areas of the country. At least not nearly as much as I do here.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:29 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,209,063 times
Yeah, the wave is something people back in Iowa weren't use to. I think it's because traffic was never so bad you had to kinda squeeze out in front of people. You can just wait 5 seconds and get a clear break for it on your own.

I also did the Chicago thing where you pass people on the right at intersections when you pull up to a red light to kinda jump ahead. That and turning left into traffic when there's JUST the right amount of room. People back at home kinda freaked out, they'd rather just wait for a few more cars to go by and you had a loooot of free room to turn into.

That and checkout people chatting with you and taking their time at grocery/retail stores. I was just like "yeah, ok, just shut the f#*@ up and ring me already!!!"

Old 09-24-2007, 10:06 PM

683 posts, read 4,617,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
I've lived in California all my life and we always do it too. If someone doesn't I always think they're being rude!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:38 AM

101 posts, read 411,190 times
Sometimes, in Muncie, i'll get off of a public transit system busses and think in my head...."THIS IS JACKSON"..."DOORS OPEN ON THE RIGHT AT JACKSON"... or **DING DONG** "DOORS CLOSING"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago