Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I took offense to the comment you made generalizing how people feel about minorities and the neighborhoods they are willing to travel to, both of which are crazy IMO.

I would wager that somebody living in Lincoln Park or Lakeview would have not problem traveling to the following neighborhoods:

Lincoln Square
Ravenswood
Uptown
Roscoe Village
Old Town
River North
Gold Coast
Loop
West Loop
Wicker Park
Bucktown
South Loop
Chinatown (maybe)

I do not live in either Lakeview or Lincoln Park (I live in the Gold Coast), but the above is pretty much my main go to neighborhoods in the city, and I'm sure you would say I fit the typical LP/LV stereotype.

The thing is, a neighborhood like Avondale, which I have been to, is OK, but what does it really offer that's really THAT different than any LP or LV? Taking a bus down belmont is not really my idea of fun if I don't own a car, to go somewhere that is viewed as an inferior neighborhood (truth or perception).

Again, say they are living in a bubble, but I believe the above is a fairly good list of neighborhood, certainly wouldn't say it's a bubble.
I kind of get what he's saying here. It wasn't until I had a contract to purchase a place over by Kuma's did I start exploring the options of the neighborhood, like Orbit Room, Urban Belly, or my favorite, the Small Bar just over the highway.

Compared to those listed, can you really see someone hopping the Belmont bus to make a day out of hanging in Avondale?

Having a car and hitting a place in Avondale as a one-off for dinner is a lot easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 03:47 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
I kind of get what he's saying here. It wasn't until I had a contract to purchase a place over by Kuma's did I start exploring the options of the neighborhood, like Orbit Room, Urban Belly, or my favorite, the Small Bar just over the highway.

Compared to those listed, can you really see someone hopping the Belmont bus to make a day out of hanging in Avondale?

Having a car and hitting a place in Avondale as a one-off for dinner is a lot easier.
No you don't have to hangout in Avondale all day, that's fine. It's the mentality that Avondale is boring and not worth visiting that irks.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:47 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Albany Park actually is dense, has great restaurants, very vibrant has lots of shopping. Same for Avondale, same for Logan Square. Same for Pilsen, Little Village and even Iriving Park. Maybe it's not your preference or your type of shopping or your type of density or your type food or the level of vibrancy. That doesn't make them neighborhoods not worth going to or boring. Not every neighborhoods can be as exciting or vibrant as LV or LP, but that doesn't mean they are boring or not worth exploring. It's looks like you want them to be just like LV and LP, which has been my point all along of the mentality that does exist in LV or LO. Because it's not like LP or LV in it's vibranacy or amount of bars or shops these neighborhoods aren't worth anything or are just boring. They deserve a visit. I think you are proving my point pretty well.

This is the equivalent of me saying in NYC there is nothing worth exploring outside of Manhattan. That's basically what you are saying.
I have been to all of those neighborhoods, and while they are interesting, I don't see the need to go back to them that often. I like going to Pilsen for Mexican Food, but not much else.

I grew up in Manhattan (Washington Heights), growing up in a poor immigrant neighborhood I can appreciate neighborhoods off the beaten path, but at 29 I enjoy "nicer" things most of the time.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
No you don't have to hangout in Avondale all day, that's fine. It's the mentality that Avondale is boring and not worth visiting that irks.
I've been to Kuma's Corner and Urban Belly, they are great. but outside of the main drag on/around Belmont I do find the neighborhood a bit boring. Not a knock on Avondale, just a typical residential neighborhood.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I have been to all of those neighborhoods, and while they are interesting, I don't see the need to go back to them that often. I like going to Pilsen for Mexican Food, but not much else.

I grew up in Manhattan (Washington Heights), growing up in a poor immigrant neighborhood I can appreciate neighborhoods off the beaten path, but at 29 I enjoy "nicer" things most of the time.
See and that's perfectly fine. I don't have a problem with that. However, in LP and LV there are a lot of people that don't share those beliefs and will not dare explore places like Albany Park or Avondale. Again not everyone, but you see it happen a lot. And AGAIN it's not only in LV or LP. Happens in places like Little Village where they don't want to go to the "white" neighborhoods. I have no problem if you don't like Avondale, that's fine, but come to that conclusion once you have been there and seen the place.

I am talking about people who refuse to do so and just want to stay in their safe bubble.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I've been to Kuma's Corner and Urban Belly, they are great. but outside of the main drag on/around Belmont I do find the neighborhood a bit boring. Not a knock on Avondale, just a typical residential neighborhood.
I suggest you try Square, Orbit Room, Chief O'Neils (quite possibly the best beer garden in the city), Dragon Lady Lounge, Mr. Pollo, Hot Doug's, Pork Shoppe and La Finca. We have an awesome River walk by Roscoe and California that is beautiful and very hidden. They are all in the vicinity and walking distance to Kuma's. You will see that once you go to those places that Avondale does have it's own mini nightlife, cuisine and interesting places to visit. No it's not exiciting like LP or LV but there is certainly plenty to do.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
See and that's perfectly fine. I don't have a problem with that. However, in LP and LV there are a lot of people that don't share those beliefs and will not dare explore places like Albany Park or Avondale. Again not everyone, but you see it happen a lot. And AGAIN it's not only in LV or LP. Happens in places like Little Village where they don't want to go to the "white" neighborhoods. I have no problem if you don't like Avondale, that's fine, but come to that conclusion once you have been there and seen the place.

I am talking about people who refuse to do so and just want to stay in their safe bubble.
Ok fair enough. We just have much different experiences with people in LV / LP. I am a U of Michigan alum, and all of my college friends who live in Chicago all live in LP and LV, and I have explored Chicago with them. In fact, when I moved to Chicago from NYC last year, my friends in LP and LV were the ones telling me to get out and explore the city, taking me to great restaurants from Chinatown to Devon Ave.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Ok fair enough. We just have much different experiences with people in LV / LP. I am a U of Michigan alum, and all of my college friends who live in Chicago all live in LP and LV, and I have explored Chicago with them. In fact, when I moved to Chicago from NYC last year, my friends in LP and LV were the ones telling me to get out and explore the city, taking me to great restaurants from Chinatown to Devon Ave.
That's great, and again, I never said everyone in LP and LV are like that, you just find that behavior more prominent in those neighborhoods than Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square etc.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I suggest you try Square, Orbit Room, Chief O'Neils (quite possibly the best beer garden in the city), Dragon Lady Lounge, Mr. Pollo, Hot Doug's, Pork Shoppe and La Finca. We have an awesome River walk by Roscoe and California that is beautiful and very hidden. They are all in the vicinity and walking distance to Kuma's. You will see that once you go to those places that Avondale does have it's own mini nightlife, cuisine and interesting places to visit. No it's not exiciting like LP or LV but there is certainly plenty to do.
I have been to Orbit Room and my ex-fiance was a vegan so she dragged me to Dragon Lady several times. I will check out the river walk.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Forgot Ñ, it's an awesome place at night and really hopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago