Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 09:11 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
This thread has taken a turn towards discussing racism in LP/LV. It is not racism as much as it is socioeconomic. IF you are poor or are from a rural area, you are looked down upon the same as if you are a minority. If you are a minority, but are successful and educated, there is no racism. So don't confuse racism with socioeconomic discrimination. People used to look down on me because I was from Indiana, and not your typical affluent Chicago suburb. If I was black I would think it was racism. I also have a black friend that I hang out with a lot and I've never seen anyone discriminate against him or him complain about racism on our nights out.
Oh, you have a black friend? You must be right, then. Thanks for setting everyone straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

For the sake of sociological observation I think "yuppie" is a more useful word than "professional."
You realize yuppie is an acronym for young urban professional, right? So apparently you're okay with the term "professional" as long as the old and rural ones are left out.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Good point. Places like Bucktown, Ukranian Village, Logan Square, Avondale, Irving Park, Portage Park, Albany Park, North Park, Rogers Park, Uptown and Edgewater are all VERY integrated neighborhoods.
Chicago: 33% Black or African-American

Logan Square (including Bucktown): 5%
West Town (including Ukrainian Village): 7%
Avondale: 2%
Irving Park: 3%
Portage Park: 1%
Albany Park: 4%
North Park: 3%
Rogers Park: 26%
Uptown: 20%
Edgwater: 14%

Hey, look, 3 of your 11 examples kind of qualify if you remove the word "VERY." Well done.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post

I've always found the latter pointless, as the term itself clearly came into common usage in urban areas, so that's redundant.
Perhaps ironically, until the fairly recent re-gentrification of urban areas, I generally associated the term "yuppie" with suburb-dwellers. Ysuppie just doesn't roll off the tongue as well, though.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post

Hey, look, 3 of your 11 examples kind of qualify if you remove the word "VERY." Well done.
A number of those neighborhoods are integrated with whites and Mexicans.. Fail. Chicago is also close to 1/3rd Hispanic and those neighborhoods ARE integrated.

Wait a second. YOU live in Pilsen, an integrated neighborhood..

Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Perhaps ironically, until the fairly recent re-gentrification of urban areas, I generally associated the term "yuppie" with suburb-dwellers. Ysuppie just doesn't roll off the tongue as well, though.
A yuppie is a young professional not an upper middle class family man. And they actually do dwell in the suburbs sometimes - crushed with student loan debt and living with their parents.

Some people stay in the burbs where it's homely. Some work in the burbs. But otherwise, culturally speaking, it doesn't really make much sense why a young professional would prefer the burbs. Would you care to elaborate?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Oh, you have a black friend? You must be right, then. Thanks for setting everyone straight.
lol, yeah, that guy sounded kinda stupid to me too. I doubt he's that close to this one black friend.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,960,867 times
Quote:

What other areas on the North side has over 10% Black besides Edgewater, Rogers Park and Uptown? Please tell me there is more.

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 04-10-2013 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: adding thought

Old 04-10-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
A number of those neighborhoods are integrated with whites and Mexicans.
Whites and Latinos (which is what I think you really mean), have long been fairly integrated. That's never been much of an issue. When people talk about racial segregation in Chicago or in the U.S. in general they're talking about whites and blacks.

You knew that, though, didn't you? Fail indeed.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
A yuppie is a young professional not an upper middle class family man.
It was originally applied to the Baby Boomer generation, who were young when the term came about in the 80's, and it has stuck with them as they've aged. They didn't cease being called "yuppies" when they had families, at least not in the way I've heard the term used. Also, the meaning of the word "professional" used to more-or-less mean upper middle class. It wasn't used to describe anyone who went to college and aspired to earn more than the minimum wage, as it seems to be now.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 04-10-2013 at 10:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago