Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 09:02 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamA View Post
I don't understand your hostility. This is supposed to be a forum for serious discussion.
I am not being trying to be hostile. Again,Galewood does not make up a majority of the 36th ward. I wont argue about it anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 09:18 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
Default Belmont Cragin getting worse, though gradually

Avengerfire,

I am in agreement with you over Belmont Cragin getting worse. Much of those forced out further east and somewhat south are moving into these areas. Some disagree (lots) but I see that area up thru Portage Park, becoming more hispanic and less Polish, starting with Avondale (over 65% hispanic now). The Poles and Eastern Europeans are still in the area in force and some new arrivals continue to move there but I see the Eastern European community moving further north and west in the city into areas like Harwood Heights and Norwood, Norridge, Edison Park, Jefferson Park.

You still have tons of businesses along the Milwaukee corridor with Polish names and such but more and more hispanics appear to be moving into that area. I have looked at over 1 dozen 6-flats in that area over the past 2 years and have noted a shift. The biggest shift I have noticed is from working out at the Bally's at Six Corners (they call in the latin Bally's from my Puerto Rican friends in Logan Square). There are many Poles, Romanians, Ukranians still, but they are outnumbered by hispanics.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:08 PM

44 posts, read 154,230 times
Galewood is tough to isolate because it is not a "recognized" Chicago neighborhood. The 36th ward overall is one of the safer areas of the city, and Galewood is part of that ward. Anyway, I live in Galewood and regardless of what the crime stats are, I do not objectively observe or experience major crime.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:21 PM

44 posts, read 154,230 times
Oh, by the way, I plan to raise my 1yr. old son in Galewood. The house isn't for sale.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,619 times
Default Galewood

I was born and raised in Galewood, I am now 20 years old goin on 21 and i have seen Galewood drastically improve over the years. There used to be a abandoned 76 gas station on the corner or Oak Park avenue just one block north of cortland. Now there is a row of well kept condominiums. When i was extremely young my parents said they used to hear gun shots some nights but those days are gone. Since it is Chicago there is bound to be crime but this is planet earth and not the disney channel. There are many different types of families for example just married, married with children, and married with grand children.The Sayre Language Academy has is a good school and there are too many other schools close by to name. The area is becoming integrated racially which is always a good thing for the children of our next generation. It smells like chocolate on some mornings becasue of the mars candy factory on oak park avenue next to the shriners hospital for children. This is the best neighborhood in Chicago. It has a few glimpses of the suburbs in it but it is still chicago you cant go wrong with buying a house in this area cause the area is only gonna get better.: )

Old 02-27-2010, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,972 times
That's about what me and my fiance make and we can afford a $1500 mortgage payment on a $200,000 house. We bought our house before there were tighter restrictions on lending and didn't have a down payment. This means that we pay for mortgage insurance that is included in the mortgage payment. So, technically our mortgage payment should be lower on a $200,000 home (just an FYI)

Old 02-27-2010, 11:49 AM

71 posts, read 275,140 times
Well this is what I suggest.. If you are employed with the CPS you will certainly have to live in chicago. The ? is which district you will work in South, North, East or West side. I don't recommend raising children in the city. Alot of us live in the suburbs raising families. We run from city living as most areas are bad. The North side is totally over priced and always has been. With Chicago it certainly is what you are looking for.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,248 times
I am relocating to Chicago from Memphis. I am single with an income of $45,000. For now I decided to stay in Merrillville until I get to know Chicago. What you guys suggest for a good and affordable place for me to live in Chicago? Please help

Old 07-11-2011, 01:30 AM

427 posts, read 463,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadija View Post
I am relocating to Chicago from Memphis. I am single with an income of $45,000. For now I decided to stay in Merrillville until I get to know Chicago. What you guys suggest for a good and affordable place for me to live in Chicago? Please help
Well, it would help to know what area you will be working in and if you will drive or use public transit to get to work.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadija View Post
What are you looking for in a neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago